Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need help picking a universal unit for my project

I'm currently tearing apart my 1995 F150 SWB to begin building it into a pretty insane pro-touring truck. You can see the progress in the Truck section.

My issue in posting here is that the OEM A/C+heater system is all vacuum operated and will be unable to function without the stock components. I'm completely rewiring the truck so keeping stock stuff is off the table.

So far I've looked into Restomod, Classic Auto Air, and Vintage air. I'm so torn. Currently I'm leaning toward the Restomod unit and all their components. It's all pricey as hell (to me) so barring price, any recommendations among those or units that I may not have heard of?

For the record, I'm running all new accessories on the engine and it comes with a Sanden 508 compressor. I'll be making all the lines after the pieces are installed.

I'd probably go with Classic or Vintage. My restomod air setup has been a nightmare and still doesn't to anything but blow through the dash. Sucks. My classic worked fine.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

I'd say Vintage. I'm not a super big fan of theirs but they are reliable and plenty of tech support. I've used their universal ones for years in different applications and never had a problem in the Texas heat of El Paso. Plus you can buy just the evaporator and build out according to your needs. Chuck is right, Resto is way overpriced and Classic Air seems ok but with their controller being electronic, I'd be worried about long term support. I bought a unit from a guy who broke off from Vintage years ago and started his own company and he went out of business within 5 years. Forget about the warranty. It's a tough market I guess.

Alex

I've been happy with my Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum. Everything works like it should and was easy to install.

I have some nit-picking issues with the controls. The knob indicators don't quite line up with the pictographs.

Well I guess this warrants a call to Vintage Air so we can set me up right.

Thank you all for your input. I definitely want to avoid any issues that I didn't cause to start with.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

We do not carry a direct bolt in for your 95' F-150, but we do have universal or builder series evaporators that will work for this application. To start you need to get an idea of how much real-estate you have behind the dash. Next compare which unit would fit best with your space. Once the model of evaporator is determined, you would work with one of our sales team members to piece together what additional items you will need. Or if you send me a message at [email protected]
      with what some basic vehicle info and your vision for AC install, I will send you all the info you will need.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com