Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

MacPhearson Strut and chassis setup

When I read into chassis setup, conventional vs bb/ss, it mostly refers to SLA
      type front suspensions. With sla type suspension, you could go in either
      direction depending on how you want to drive the car and given the front geometry is optimal.

Since the strut system doesn't allow much camber gain, would it favor a big bar/soft spring setup
      over a conventional stiff spring/soft bar?

Merritt
      1993 Fox Body...its in the works
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...72#post1249772

1972 Nova...OUT OF THE BARN!!!!! Build coming soon!

IG:@kdmerritt5 for more

Country Flag: United States
      It should. BB/SS requires less camber gain per inch of dive than a stiffer version. Stiff spring needs more/faster camber gain. But roll center movement needs to be compatible
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      It should. BB/SS requires less camber gain per inch of dive than a stiffer version. Stiff spring needs more/faster camber gain. But roll center movement needs to be compatible
      Thank you, David for the response.

For the roll center movement, are you referring to it being close to the cg to cause less roll or more so when the car is in dive?

I'd look for the roll center to not go below ground at full dive/full roll. It should be between 1" above and at ground level but not below. As far as lateral migration of the RC I'd like it to move towards the inboard tire or at least not travel towards the outside tire in roll and dive.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Assuming this is on your 93, keeping the rc above ground us tough without relocating the inner control arm mounts

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      I'd look for the roll center to not go below ground at full dive/full roll. It should be between 1" above and at ground level but not below. As far as lateral migration of the RC I'd like it to move towards the inboard tire or at least not travel towards the outside tire in roll and dive.
      David, do you use any type of software to check the geometry of your suspension? I know many use performance trends or some type of 3D cad program.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      Assuming this is on your 93, keeping the rc above ground us tough without relocating the inner control arm mounts
      I know relocating the inner mounts would be needed, so I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Merritt5 View Post
      Since the strut system doesn't allow much camber gain, would it favor a big bar/soft spring setup
      over a conventional stiff spring/soft bar?

Merritt
      On a track car, heavier springs and softer bars are the best combo. Problem with a big bar is that while it is great at helping keep the car more flat (which heavy springs will also do), it can cause the inside tire to life, and when that happens, you lose overall grip. As I've gotten more experience, I've gone down in bar size and up in spring rate. The more loaded tire neither knows nor cares how its effective rate comes about, it just knows the total. The roll couple doesn't differentiate, it treats them the same. This is a 944, which has a strut system.

On the street, you won't get into that kind of scenario, the big bar will probably help with ride harshness.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com