Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS coil and Smart coil size difference

Just curious if the Holley smart coils are taller in size compared to LS coils? Looking at ordering mountion brackets for smart coils but everything pretty much is only LS. I’ve got a big block chevy and looking at mounting them on the valve covers. This is the closest thing I’ve found that I like but don’t like the stacked look.

Country Flag: United States
      https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p.../parts/561-125

Not what you wanted, exactly, but another option for coil brackets.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p.../parts/561-125

Not what you wanted, exactly, but another option for coil brackets.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I've seen pretty much all the internet has to offer, but I think I will have some made at my local machine shop.

I've been wrestling with what to do about this myself. With a BBC it is difficult for a few reasons. First, there's nowhere near the options available as for modern LSx platform for obvious reasons. Though that is improving a good bit fortunately. Second, the height of the coils when mounted gets to be a bit much. If running a power brake booster there could be issues. Otherwise it's just an aesthetics thing. If you are running shaft rockers, i.e. no stud girdle, and can get away with very short covers that helps a ton.

Motion Raceworks has some nice offerings. There are a couple higher end off-road, think trophy truck, engine shops that I've seen with some really nice billet covers with integrated coil mounts. Dougans and Danzio both have some ridiculous BBC builds running these covers. I'm pretty sure I read that Williams Performance out of CA builds the ones for Dougan. Swiftek Engineering out of Australia makes an awesome line of billet covers. They make the covers you see on most all the Don Hardy engines. I spoke to them a bit and they can/will modify their offerings to support the Mercury IGN-1A coils that Holley brands as their smart coil along with a host of other aftermarket companies. Billet cover options come at hefty price though at somewhere between $1k-$2k.

Let us know what you end up with. There's not many of us BBC guys out there trying to do this I guess haha. I don't really want to run a fabricated cover but that was looking like my best option. Basically just weld some threaded bungs for coils directly onto the covers. My fallback is to mount them on the front cage down bars I think.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com