Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Any feedback on RS Headlight Conversion Kits?

I'm upgrading just about everything on my '68 RS. Thinking about going electric on the headlight doors? Who's kits have you used and what kind of luck have you had with them?

Doesnt a 68 have factory electric . Or was that only 67?

Country Flag: United States
      68 had vac assist. good system if the rubber was newish. 67's always burnt out the limit switches.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

I'm looking at doing the same thing on my 68' anyone have any information?

Take a look at www.retro-electro.net

Definetly check out this guy, I've seen this kit in action, and it works excellent and flawlessly;
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...spagenameZWDVW

Rick's and AmericanAutowire

I bought the kit from Rick's a couple years ago and I'm just now getting to the installation. My 67 is not an RS, but I wanted the hideaway headlights. I had the new brackets welded onto the fenders when the body work was done. I've been pleasantly surprised by how well it's going together considering this car was not an RS. There were already holes in the radiator support for the limit switches and the doors rotate freely and hit the switches at both ends solidly. At first I was disappointed at the wiring harness from AA (it was +150 just for the headlight door harness), but then after installing it I thought it was worth it. It was simple to install and every wire was the right length.
      The RS grill from Rick's seems pretty cheap and flimsey. Also after holding the headlight bezels up to the car, it seems questionable how well these will fit.

So I emailed the guy selling the kits on eBay. He doesn't provide much in the way of a description, nor did he answer my email. They're only $60.00?!?!?!? Does anyone have any additional information on any of these products?

I e-mailed the guy and he promptly replied back saying they bolt to the bottom of the inner fenderwell, and that they were used motors but checked out and made sure there was nothing wrong with them. I don't blame him for not telling what they came out of, he's definatly got this market cornered! I looked at his history and no complaints on these kits. I'm just waiting until after Christmas and then going to order his kit. Like you say.. 60.00!!! Can't go wrong. Later Trond

I'd be very glad to hear your opinions on them when you receive the kit. I'd love to have something that works for $60.00, but I'll buy the electro-retro kit if the $60.00 kit will piss me off in the least...

I have used retro-electro with great success. Those motors will outlast your car!

I think Detroit Speed is working on an electric kit for '68-'69's.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

ok i bought something off ebay years ago to do it ..but i paid 5 bucks for just the instructions and pictures..the guy used motors off a lebaron headlight pop up doors from a junkyard..it was alot more involved than the other kits i see now ..but i might scan them and link them somewere if people are interested..
      Darrin Stalnecker
      1969 Camaro Convert full pt pr
      2007 Corvette Supercharged
      1968 Camaro LS1 T56
      http://www.fquick.com/dropit69

I'd be interested in seeing what you've got. I was about drop a pile o'money on mine. I have a RS car but the majority of the pieces are gone. I basically need everything but the grille and to door covers (1969).

I might try the Ebay guy. $60 is a lot cheaper to try than over $500 on the other site. Hell, $60 is piece-of-mind. Any others???

I finally got one of his kits off of e-bay, it's in the mail. As soon as I get it I'll let you guys know how it is, and if it fits and works good.
      Trond.

I'll look forward to hearing what you have to say about the ebay guys kits. I'm getting close to having to make a decision on something...

Well, I got the kit. It's a very simple but I think it will work just fine. The electric motors come out of Chryslers,not sure of the year but comes with detailed instructions, 2 rolls of wire, toggle switch, and all the other little things that you'd need to complete this conversion. I think for 60 bucks it'll be well worth it! Nice guy to deal with too. Just e-mail him from the e-bay address that Yody put up and tell him you saw it on the Pro-Touring website. I told him I was going to give him a good plug if I liked it. I think it'll be awsome... good luck, Trond.

What's the toggle switch for? Do you open and close the doors manually whenever you turn the lights on or off?

Sale has ended and no kits in his e-bay store. Hope he'll be selling these kits again.
      Does anyone have a direct e-mail to the seller of the $60 kits?

Thanks

You can just log into "My E-bay" and even though that one item has ended, you can still ask the seller a question. That will directly e-mail him. I did that, and he sent me a Paypal invoice and we did it that way. I had to wait a couple of weeks because he was out of kits. That was o.k. well worth it. IMO. Good Luck. Trond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com