Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Looking for 70 amp relay with weatherproof base

Like the title says I am looking for a 70 amp relay for an electric fan. I can find 70 amp relays in some of the premade kits from Ron Francis, painless etc but none of them have a weatherproof base. I know I could run two smaller ones in parallel but this is not how I want to do it. Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Country Flag: United States
      Tyco makes a 75 amp relay that is sealed and has big mounting lugs for the contacts. Installed properly it would be mostly weather proof (resistant).

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/7555...01-X003-Power/

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 10-06-2018 at 09:11 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I have sealed 70a relays. PM me if you are still looking! It is a 4-pin.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Hey H20gbody,

I know this is a old thread but I'm hoping you get this. I'm finally ready to move forward on this project. Could you please send me the info on the relay you mentioned? What type and the price. Thanks!

I'm an electrical newb so forgive the question if it's stupid... but that seems like twice what a fan actually draws in amperage. Is that how you are supposed to size them? I ask because I'm questioning if mine are enough amps.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Rather than a big ole relay for the fan(s), why not set it up as a multi speed fan using a resistored relay kit? I build just such an animal for people who:

Dont care for aftermarket controllers with low amp capabilities,

And would like to use a mechanical tried and true HD relay setup.

Send me your info on what kind of fans, how you want them triggered and I can put something together for you!
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Thanks for the reply, I am interested in what you mentioned and would like to learn more about what you suggested. Here is a link to the cooling components fan I'm planning on using.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Cooli...MaAvtxEALw_wcB

My original thought was to just run it as a single speed fan for cost savings and simplicity. If I run it as a two speed fan do I need two separate temp senders in the radiator? I had previously sent you a PM, that can be ignored. Feel free to contact me through on and I can give you my email. Please let me know what options I have, thanks for the time.

To answer the other question above, the fan manufacturer says to use a 70 amp relay because it can draw up to 60 amps on startup

Anguilla1980, people tend to use the bigger relays to cover the inrush current that the fans use when they turn on. I've used 40a relays and the only time I've had problems is when the wiring is not big enough to handle the current. Done right you should be ok. I wouldn't run two fans off one relay though. I go to the junkyards and pick up the relays including the connector for about $3 each all day long. If they're good enough to be used in a factory application they're good enough for me.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by CapSS92 View Post
      Anguilla1980, people tend to use the bigger relays to cover the inrush current that the fans use when they turn on. I've used 40a relays and the only time I've had problems is when the wiring is not big enough to handle the current. Done right you should be ok. I wouldn't run two fans off one relay though. I go to the junkyards and pick up the relays including the connector for about $3 each all day long. If they're good enough to be used in a factory application they're good enough for me.

Alex
      Sounds good. I have a 40amp relay for each fan with wiring even a gauge larger than is built into the relay.

Good idea on the junkyard relays!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Cooling off performance cars reliably is probably more important than "What wheels are you running?" so I'm wondering if there should be a thread where folks list what's working for them? Vehicle/Engine/Fan(s)/Radiator/Controller plus a picture of the setup and your comments. Dumb idea or helpful?
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

I agree. A database is always a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CapSS92 View Post
      I agree. A database is always a good idea.
      How do we start a Database like this? Do we have to ask a moderator to start it, create a sticky, or what? What Fields would be important? Something like this?

Vehicle: List the vehicle.
      Engine: List the engine.
      Thermostat: List the temperature.
      Radiator: Note here whether its an OEM/Aftermarket unit or repurposed one.
      Radiator Type: Here's a spot to note whether its a 3-4 core, two/three/four tube, and tube size.
      Fan(s): Single or Dual.
      Fan Speed(s): Here's a spot to note if its a single or multiple speed fan.
      Fan Temp Triggers: What temperature does the fan turn on and shut off.
      Electrical: DIY or some aftermarket setup.
      AC (Y/N): If AC, then whether fan is triggered by turning AC on.
      EFI (Y/N): If EFI is controlling some aspect of the fan.
      Comments: Here's a spot to note how this configuration is actually working.
      Picture(s): Pictures are worth a thousand words, include a couple to show the fan/radiator and possibly the electrical stuff.

Please add/delete this could be a very helpful database, since almost all the vehicles here are "DIY" projects LOL.

Mike
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      I have been known to use these for high current applications- Select continuous duty or intermittent as appropriate. It switches the entire vehicle power feed on the Camaro

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/relays.asp
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com