Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

69 Camaro street car build

Hey everyone,

I'll use this first paragraph to tell a little about myself so a lot of you may want to skip this part. My name is Scott and I am your typical 45 YO dad and car guy. I grew up going fast and have never outgrown it. I like to build all my own stuff although I do use a lot of catalog parts. My boys have always been into sports and I spend a lot of my time chasing baseball along with some health issues I deal with it cuts down on my car working time so this build will not progress at a decent speed but I do what I can.

I purchased this car a while back as a running & driving car. It had a 383, t-400, 9" rear, decent brakes and a horrible R&P steering setup.
      Name:  20170513_182807_resized.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  135.7 KB
      Name:  20170625_154201_resized.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  198.2 KB
      Name:  20170625_154211_resized_1.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  183.6 KB

- - - Updated - - -

The first thing I did was remove the engine and trans and sold those to a local guy.
      Name:  20171203_164125_resized.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  206.1 KB

I then purchased a DSE front subframe and quadralink rear suspension. You all know what those look like. Currently I have been working on the installation of the quadralink and hope to have the car side of that complete this weekend and then will start on the housing brackets.

congrats.. subing to follow along

Well health issues shut me down for a bit but I was able to get back to work this past weekend. I started off by pulling my 9" apart. It was in the car when I bought it so I did not know for sure what was inside the case.Name:  20181110_140710_resized.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  80.6 KB
      Appears to be a 31 spline Trac-Loc. I have had good luck with these in 8.8's so I will keep it. I will probably put new clutches in it just to be safe.

After that I got back to the quadralink installation. The upper mounts are in so I moved to the shock crossmember. I stared at this for a while trying to figure out the best way to get a tight cut line with the irregular shaped trunk floor. What I ended up doing was cutting the front side and the cutting a relief at the rear corners that let me slide the cross member close to being in place.Name:  20181110_165457_resized.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  129.6 KB
      This ended up working fantastic. It is all fit now and has a very nice tight fit. I am going to hold off on welding it. I want to place the shock mounts and tack them in and then remove the assembly and weld the shock mounts with the cross member upside down so that I am welding down instead of trying to weld them under the car upside down.

Well I have been slowly been progressing on the car. I am almost ready to coat the underside. My wife came out into the shop the other day to this:Name:  camaro4.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  84.8 KB
      She had last seen it when I drove it into the shop. She was not impressed!
      BTW the stool is not holding up the car!

I decided to go with a new fabricated housing with a full floater setup. After some research I decided on the MillerBuilt setup. After discussing with Jason I ended up sending him my DSE brackets and having him install those with the housing in his jig. I received all the parts this week and I must say that they look fantastic.Name:  thumbnail2.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  103.5 KBName:  thumbnail.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  100.6 KBName:  thumbnail3.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  121.4 KB
      I was also impressed that he returned all the documentation, fab spacers and even the plastic bag that I sent to him. To me that is attention to detail that I rarely see. Not a big deal obviously but I found it to be very professional.

I'll let Jason explain this pic:
      "Once all welding sequences are complete 24”billet machined plates are installed onto both ends of the completed housing to check measurements at 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock, and then again at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock. This is the final check to make sure both of your wheels are running square/parallel with the differential. You would be surprised at how many housings are ridiculously out of whack if you were to test them out at that radius..."Name:  thumbnail5.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  118.2 KB

Very nice.

Country Flag: United States
      Very nice work so far,you will be very satisfied with the DSE parts.keep the pics coming.

Anyone have pics of the DSE vintage air bracket installed? I am not sure if I am missing something or possibly just stupid but I can't figure out the passenger side mounting of the bracket to the car.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com