Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm so fortunate to have cool neighbors. A couple of them heard it thunder by and came running down the block to talk about it before I could even pull back into the garage!

I'd like to get everything bled again and try this afternoon for round 2 while it's still light out. Lance, you and I will be corner weighting before you know it!

Who has guesses about the weight in street-legal form? Starting thinking about it...
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Congrats! I so can't wait for the moment for my first drive in my blazer. This is some motivation to get back on mine. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymzz View Post
      Congrats! I so can't wait for the moment for my first drive in my blazer. This is some motivation to get back on mine. :D
      Glad it helps. I am looking forward to seeing yours come together!

I keep finding little gremlins, but better here in the neighborhood than across town.

So far I've had 2 oil lines leak, the steering shaft come undone (that one was interesting), and a couple small cooling line drips. So I'd say overall this has gone ok, but the alignment is still HORRIBLE. Haha.

Hard to show in photos, but I've been doing a little on the truck every night. I got a license plate and insurance so the push is to get everything together enough for street driving. Gotta love how easy AZ is.

Name:  20200229_135522.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  312.8 KB

Of course I needed the interior wiring done so the truck is fully functional. That has been most of the the time suck right now. But last night I bolted in the two most important panels and I'm loving the results!

Name:  20200305_233205.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  293.7 KB

Even the Vintage Air unit is functional now.

This weekend is all about prepping under the bed so that can be final mounted, finish the front end install, and install/wire all new lights. That should ensure I won't get pulled over or run into. I expect to be street driving next week depending on when I can get a fresh windshield installed. Now I need a basic tune to keep things safe while I throw break-in miles at the drivetrain. This is so exciting!

The dash (among everything else) looks killer! Glad to hear you’re almost ready for some street miles
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

While it may not look like it, I got some good work done this weekend.

Big focus was wiring all the different lights. Doing wiring properly always takes time, but better to do it now than chase issues later. Since the bed isn't on yet I focused on the front.

Name:  20200308_001624.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  193.6 KB

I realize these headlights are not everyone's cup of tea, but I hate the 4pc design of the stock setup (nightmare to install/remove), these look far more modern, they fit the planned color combo better, and I'm a big fan of Projector lights when they are made reasonably well. Plus they have LEDs and I'm a total LED whore. I also converted these to HIDs which I've never seen done on these particular lights. That was a little tricky, but it seems to work well. So now I have full parking, high/low beam, and turn/hazard lights up front with weatherpack connectors allowing it to be serviced if needed.

I'm so excited to see how this all looks with the new front bumper. That is scheduled to ship mid-week so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Another area to address was the preset timing tables in the Dominator map. I noticed it would command up to 44 degrees of timing which is much more than I've ever seen on a motor like mine. So I have been running the distributor retarded. Now that I better understand the tables in the software I went and capped everything at 32 degrees. I just need to reset the distributor now. Sure I might be giving up a little power and efficiency, but everything needs to break-in anyway so I'm not sweating it. I plan to optimize later as I start leaning on the truck more and more.

I used that as an excuse to pull the truck out and of course caught a more flattering photo than what I can do in the garage.

Name:  20200308_193114.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  286.1 KB

Must have forgotten to snap some pics, but the bed is sitting ready to install. I routed and loomed the entire rear harness so all it needs is the OEM plug added and we are fully lit. I'm also going to call and schedule for a windshield install this week so I can safely tolerate road speeds. Haha

I think low load cruising, 44 degrees is fairly normal. Not at WOT of course, that's usually in the 30s for an American V8.

Quote Originally Posted by neongreen View Post
      I think low load cruising, 44 degrees is fairly normal. Not at WOT of course, that's usually in the 30s for an American V8.
      Great point! I've been reading up on that and saw the same thing. I just haven't figured out how to look at all those tables in the Holley software. Hopefully I can get some help on this pretty quick to speed up that process. We are SUPER close to being safe to drive around town so the basic tune needs to be cleaned up quickly. All I am trying to do is be extra cautious with the parameters we start with. Like most of us, my lack of knowledge makes me nervous about everything.

I also had the distributor pretty far retarded when I checked this evening. After getting that aligned with the software the engine has VASTLY improved response, idle quality, and reduced heat. Hopefully no more rain tomorrow afternoon and I can do a neighborhood test. From there I'm staying out of the tuning tables until I get someone "qualified."

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Great point! I've been reading up on that and saw the same thing. I just haven't figured out how to look at all those tables in the Holley software. Hopefully I can get some help on this pretty quick to speed up that process. We are SUPER close to being safe to drive around town so the basic tune needs to be cleaned up quickly. All I am trying to do is be extra cautious with the parameters we start with. Like most of us, my lack of knowledge makes me nervous about everything.

I also had the distributor pretty far retarded when I checked this evening. After getting that aligned with the software the engine has VASTLY improved response, idle quality, and reduced heat. Hopefully no more rain tomorrow afternoon and I can do a neighborhood test. From there I'm staying out of the tuning tables until I get someone "qualified."
      Yeah you don't want to retard too much, the late burn causes high EGT and can burn valves. Being N/A the tuning is a lot more forgiving of mistakes, especially if you aren't going full load. I'd assume their base spark tables are pretty safe.

The Holley autotunes AFR doesn't it?

That's what I understand too, which is why I made sure to true up the timing before I start leaning on it more. It all seems happier now.

After reviewing the preset spark tables it seems to be right about where most people would want a good street small block. I probably would have been fine just leaving things alone. That's not really what I am known for. Haha

Yes the Holley system is known for learning quickly and effectively what the AFR is and does everything it can to bring it to the targets. So far it seems to be holding everything a little on the fat side, but not so bad that I'm fuel washing the cylinders. I am very impressed with the Holley EFI. Much more than I am with the Racepak.

Still no sign or updates on my front bumper, but I have been tackling the rest of the body.

First up was reinstalling the bed for the final time.

Name:  20200312_183004.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  306.9 KB

All my measurements worked out well and minimal trimming was needed beyond what I had already done. I did also cut down and then hammered flat the inner lip of the wheel opening. That provides almost an entire inch of extra tire/wheel clearance from before. So now I can go outward a full 2 inches wider with new wheels and tires and still not think about rubbing.

Hopefully I'll see the same results with the front fenders when It stops raining long enough to cut on those. Then the hood is the last thing to cut up. That's right...every single panel has some kind of alteration. I just can't help myself. But that also means I have to come up with some kind of hood support when it's open since the heavy stock spring mechanism isn't able to go back on.

In between the rain storms that have persisted this week I couldn't help but take it out in the neighborhood. You'd think it would annoy my neighbors, but nope! They are mostly impressed by it and everyone keeps asking for a ride.

Name:  20200312_181545.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  476.4 KB

I'm so happy with the stance and height. Lance and I will tackle the alignment and corner balancing very soon.

What is everyone's guess on the total weight and front/rear % split? I'm hoping for around 3600lbs and a 60/40 split. It's hard to say if I've been that effective in what I removed vs where I placed everything now.

Well I was trying to get to Lance's to do the alignment and weigh this beast, but I guess I don't quite work that fast. We obviously want to have everything on the truck so we get the most accurate data. Hopefully we can knock that out in a day or two.

First up was to get fully functional tail lights going. I've had most of the features operational for about a week, but with the Smartwire system you aren't supposed to be able to use a factory tail light housings with dual filament bulbs. I spent some time on the phone with Jesse over at Level 7 Motorsports and we came up with a game plan. I had to pin 2 more wires than the normal "street kit" harness includes, but I got it to work. This system is really cool, but be prepared to just play around in the software to learn and try things. So yes, you can make OEM lights work. I did it.

Name:  20200314_210611.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  206.4 KB

Since I now was technically street legal I installed both 6pt harnesses. All lower belts clip-in with approved hardware, but I still believe in wrapping the shoulder belts.

Name:  20200315_213928.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  223.5 KB

You can also see there that I still have a couple small things to tackle in the interior, but it's about 90% done and I have zero issue just walking out and driving if I feel like it. It's kind of a weird feeling knowing that after all this time and work.

I found some weight to kill in the front end so I spent half of Saturday and all day yesterday cutting up sheet metal. Only drew blood once so I consider that a good day. I pulled 8.75 lbs off the hood getting it down to 20.2 lbs. Each fender lost 3.6 lbs getting them down to 8.8 lbs a piece. A big part of the weight loss on the hood was thanks to the Trackspec hood vents. Because they add some rigidity to the outer skin I was able to remove additional under structure without making it too floppy.

Name:  20200315_213554.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  207.3 KB

Took some hammer work to deal with the center ridge of the hood. I should have gone with a 2pc center section, but this turned out pretty well and will work great. I really like the look too. Ignore the crappy paint with my black coating for now. That was just for rust prevention until I paint the entire truck in a couple months.

I'm still waiting for a front bumper since I sold the stock steel one. It was way too heavy for what we are doing here. Once that shows up the body is basically done for now. It's getting so close!

I waited out in the shop all afternoon too...

Looks good, now get er done already...
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      I waited out in the shop all afternoon too...

Looks good, now get er done already...
      Yeah...I realized after it was too late that I never actually sent a text. I'm really bad about that. Back glass and bars should be in tonight. I also need to add hood pins to drive now, but I have them on the shelf. I'm thinking we tackle the alignment Wednesday after I get off work, if it's not raining. I'm going to have to drive the truck over since I don't have a trailer yet and I'm not driving this thing in the rain. Worst case, we wait for Thursday when it is supposed to be dry again.

It's all good, just let me know and we'll work it out.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Killer build. Absolutely love it!

Just a thought for more weight savings and possibly to look a litte better with the smaller tire diameter, have you considered bobbing the bed? No need to hack the whole back end like the rock crawlers do, maybe just tighten it up a little. Might be cool.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Zachalanche View Post
      Killer build. Absolutely love it!

Just a thought for more weight savings and possibly to look a litte better with the smaller tire diameter, have you considered bobbing the bed? No need to hack the whole back end like the rock crawlers do, maybe just tighten it up a little. Might be cool.
      Actually this did cross my mind. For the moment, I'm not going to tackle that, but removing 4-5" behind the rear wheels would probably look cool and drop up to 20lbs. I will probably go that route when I end up caving into cutting up the bed a lot more. I kinda like that it still has the ability to haul some stuff for now. We all know, based on what I've done so far, that I'll be looking to get more aggressive with this over time. Someone photoshop it so we can all decide if it looks better.

Saw an early 80's Bronco on craigslist and my mind went wandering thinking about your build under a Bronco. This crap is a disease!

Quote Originally Posted by RMMiller View Post
      Saw an early 80's Bronco on craigslist and my mind went wandering thinking about your build under a Bronco. This **** is a disease!
      The shorter wheelbase certainly wouldn't hurt for autox. You could 100% do what I've done to a bronco. I couldn't even be mad if someone did.

I see stuff on Marketplace and Craigslist all the time that gets me wondering if I could build it better than this truck. Almost bought a Maverick a couple months back... But I already have the next build in the works after this truck so I need to stay focused! Savings, what's that? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      The shorter wheelbase certainly wouldn't hurt for autox. You could 100% do what I've done to a bronco. I couldn't even be mad if someone did.

I see stuff on Marketplace and Craigslist all the time that gets me wondering if I could build it better than this truck. Almost bought a Maverick a couple months back... But I already have the next build in the works after this truck so I need to stay focused! Savings, what's that? Haha
      I see way too much stuff that tries to distract me on those sites! My brother is messing with a 65 Malibu right now which gets me thinking about a 65 Tempest that has all the GTO clone parts. The car is solid and the interior parts are all there and new. We looked at buying it several years ago but passed on it. It's still sitting there egging me on but I need to get the Maverick finished.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com