Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Having a soft cover on the truck years ago I have seen how turbulent the air can be on top of the bed. That is one thing that made me leery of trying a 'lightweight' design. Thanks the clarification on bolts vs rivets. The clean look of the cap screws deceived me in the pics. 3M tape is an excellent idea, especially considering OEMs use it to attach molding and spoilers and would be removable if need for panel replacement.

2000 Silverado RCSB

Built 6.1L / Kenne Bell 2.8L / 4L80E / Suspension

Maybe not a major update, but a major dream of mine has been now realized.

Name:  20210114_184741.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  222.9 KB

That's right...we got a lift! So excited for what this will allow me to get done with both speeding up tasks, and making work under the truck much more accessible. Saturday I have an electrician coming out to help me run power over and from there the possibilities are endless. All my cars (still makes me laugh to say that) have time "scheduled" on the lift already.

Also, update on the alternator saga, I now have 2 units on the way here so at least the truck will be functional soon. Still have testing happening at the local place to determine alternative long-term options. We figured out that peak amps is definitely not the issue to focus on. Turns out at idle (about 850 engine rpm) we need a unit that produces 70-80 amps, but we are only getting 40 ish from "high output" alternators at that low of rpm. I'm sure we will solve this soon given that we now know what to watch for. Overdriving the alternator is not the solution in this case since I'm running almost 7000rpm on track and that would cause the rotor to potentially come apart on an overdriven alternator. Honestly...I know way more about alternators now than I ever wanted to.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Last night I had a delivery that I wish I had gotten long ago!

I stumbled onto Redline Tuning who makes a gas strut kit for the hoods of these trucks. I've been using a prop rod which isn't terrible, but not optimal either. So for the whopping $100 this costs I rolled the dice while keeping my expectations low.

35 minutes later I was rewarded with a perfect install. Seriously easy and works flawlessly! It even included 4 pages of full color instructions. I wish I had done this long ago, but most of these retrofit parts require excessive effort for minimal results 98% of the time. This actually did exactly as advertised and works great even with my 7lb lighter hood. While this offers no performance advantage, the ease of access for quick shock setting changes or fluid checks is going to be super nice.
      A little late to the game on this one, but I've been running Redline Tuning for both the hood and hatch struts on my fox for a long time now (8+ years from what i can tell from my tracking spreadsheet), super happy.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by frink84 View Post
      A little late to the game on this one, but I've been running Redline Tuning for both the hood and hatch struts on my fox for a long time now (8+ years from what i can tell from my tracking spreadsheet), super happy.
      Glad to hear they seem to hold up then. I'm so happy with mine still. I've also helped 2 others install their own kits now.

Ever since I first started planning this truck I have had this vision of a full aero package. While I realize some of you might chuckle about that, I feel it will help a lot to stabilize this brick at speed and also provide that "look."

With the wing mounted about the new bed cover, I finally was able to get the truck up on the lift and finish the install of my splitter that I designed a month ago. Between my right angle drill and the lift, I don't know if this would have been very easily done any other way.

I started by taping together a bunch of large pieces of cardboard I had laying around the shop from the many boxes I get. Using that, I slowly trimmed a shape that followed the bumper line +6 inches. I also wanted to have an integrated undertray to reach back under my suspension. That allowed me to transfer the shape to my 1/2" birch plywood and cut to shape.

Name:  20201227_113603.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  223.0 KB

I then wanted to design a tool-free quick release bracket system so trailering would be made much easier. After a few sketches I had my prototype.

Name:  20210124_154007.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  208.2 KB

Those support the rear half under the engine. The bronze bushing is permanently bolted to the subframe and the aluminum brackets bolt to the splitter. Took me a little extra time to make by hand, but the result is exactly what I was looking for.

I do also have a middle support that pins on just in front of the tire, but I can't get any photos under there that make sense to look at.

Then needing a splitter wall, I tried bending a leftover piece of that ACP I used for the bed cover. Turns out it bends very nicely and I had enough leftover. I made the wall in 2 parts (left and right) so it was easier to cut and I only have to replace half if a cone or road debris attacks it. That is attached directly to the splitter itself to improve ground clearance when this is off the truck.

Name:  20210126_193814.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  222.0 KB

I considered making my own splitter rods, but FTR (Fully Torqued Racing) makes nice parts and it just made more sense to order theirs. The only change I made is the upper part will eventually have a quick release pin to speed up install and removal.

Then disassembly for a truck bed liner coating before bolting it all up with stainless hardware.

Name:  20210128_192517.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  184.4 KB

The aluminum square tube is there purely for added rigidity and only added 1lb. This plywood does like to flex a bit on it's own.

A quick test drive last night told me everything I need to know. It is not going anywhere under normal driving to 85mph (so far) and it barely clears speed bumps and most driveway entrances. Plus it looks awesome to me.

Name:  20210128_220251.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  20210128_200856.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  289.0 KB

Only one more piece left to my aero package and that development has already started.

Splitter looks great! Especially like the tool-less brackets for the rear. Nice work on those

I would love to see some quantitative results from the splitter and wing. Do you have a course you frequent for comparative track times?

Only one more piece left to my aero package and that development has already started.
      Diffuser roll pan?

2000 Silverado RCSB

Built 6.1L / Kenne Bell 2.8L / 4L80E / Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Big_KID View Post
      I would love to see some quantitative results from the splitter and wing. Do you have a course you frequent for comparative track times?

Diffuser roll pan?
      We'll see on the 13th if they helped him get any closer to my times on an autocross course. :D
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

I can't imagine the pucker factor when you drilled into that pristine front bumper. I think that if you want to get the full benefit of the splitter you're going to need side skirting and maybe skirting under the rear bumper, down to the same height from the ground as the splitter. Personally, I think it could be a bit smaller as well. Professional race car splitters aren't as big as that one. If you find the need to rebuild, I'd add an inch of height to help with speed bumps, and pull it back about 2 inches from the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_KID View Post

Diffuser roll pan?
      I would too. I do have a local course and I'm evaluating a couple different sanctioning bodies to run on road courses during 2021. Absolutely expect me to do aero and non aero tests on the same day since I've made it all so easy to install/remove. I can tell you from being the one to drive this truck 1200 miles since it was built that you can feel the rear more firmly planted at over 100mph with no splitter, but the nose doesn't feel as stable. The entire truck feels much more planted and stable above 80mph with the whole package on the truck. I suspect it is working at slower speeds, but like any good areo, it needs speed to work best.

You *might* be right about my plans.

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      We'll see on the 13th if they helped him get any closer to my times on an autocross course. :D
      That we will. With 65 days until the truck shootout, I'll be pushing the truck and myself to be super dialed asap. You get the honor of helping me corner weight and verify the alignment again too buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      I can't imagine the pucker factor when you drilled into that pristine front bumper. I think that if you want to get the full benefit of the splitter you're going to need side skirting and maybe skirting under the rear bumper, down to the same height from the ground as the splitter. Personally, I think it could be a bit smaller as well. Professional race car splitters aren't as big as that one. If you find the need to rebuild, I'd add an inch of height to help with speed bumps, and pull it back about 2 inches from the front.
      Honestly, it didn't even cross my mind to care about drilling the bumper. It just had to be done and I measured carefully. I think at this point I've cut and hacked so many expensive parts and panels on this truck that I'm kind of numb to that "fear." Now when I make a carbon front bumper...yeah that's gonna be nerve wracking as hell!

You are totally right about skirting, but the benefits for what I'm currently doing are negligible without underbody work. There has been ideas tossed around for a flat bottom, but that comes with a host of other challenges that I'm really not ready to tackle at this time. If I went that route, skirting would be mandatory. I'd still like to do something anyway to just make the body lines more even along the bottom, but I haven't come up with a simple and clever way to pull it off...yet. Open to ideas if you have some.

For splitter size, this is only 6" from the front body line. That is my smallest allowed splitter by any rules I would fall under currently. It looks gigantic in photos, but makes more visual sense in person. Wait until you see some of the optima GTT class trucks coming soon...they allow up to 10" from the front body line!

Name:  20210202_202203.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  258.8 KB

Most "professional" race cars run smaller splitters because their rules don't allow more. I can assure you they would all go bigger if allowed. They also run their splitters nearly scraping the ground because that greatly increases the efficiency of the splitter. I can already JUST clear speed bumps so I would never run it higher than this because I'm already losing efficiency making it "street friendly." I might consider trimming it back if there is an aero imbalance, but with this big 71" wing on the rear, that's not likely to be the case. Plus more rear aero is about to be installed. Testing will tell me what needs to change with data. Right now we're all just guessing because I'm not aware of any trucks tackling aero for this type of racing.

Glad to see the progress is still coming! I've been missing having some time dodging cones, life has just been too busy for me to get to any events recently. At least I can see you get yours out there and make improvements!

As usual great work, and your shop is looking impressive now! Look forwards to more!
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Just have to say what a great build and build thread you have. I appreciate you taking the time to post with pics and details throughout your build. Your approach/acceptance to the input you've received is very high level, nice job. I'm embarking on a build of my own, your thread has given me some great ideas. Working up the courage to start a thread of my own but not sure yet.
      I'm here in N. Phoenix and looking forward to seeing your truck at the next event.

Jeb

I love this build and your approach to learning as you go aptitude ! such an inspiration to all!
      Thank you for sharing!
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

Quote Originally Posted by WallaceMFG View Post
      Glad to see the progress is still coming! I've been missing having some time dodging cones, life has just been too busy for me to get to any events recently. At least I can see you get yours out there and make improvements!

As usual great work, and your shop is looking impressive now! Look forwards to more!
      I know the feeling, but let's get you out with us soon! It's such a nice feeling to take a day and go burn up some dinosaurs and rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ454SS View Post
      Just have to say what a great build and build thread you have. I appreciate you taking the time to post with pics and details throughout your build. Your approach/acceptance to the input you've received is very high level, nice job. I'm embarking on a build of my own, your thread has given me some great ideas. Working up the courage to start a thread of my own but not sure yet.
      I'm here in N. Phoenix and looking forward to seeing your truck at the next event.

Jeb
      Nice! Glad I could help. If you ever need any assistance let me know. I live near Norterra.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
      I love this build and your approach to learning as you go aptitude ! such an inspiration to all!
      Thank you for sharing!
      That's always my goal. I'll never know it all, but the pursuit of more knowledge keeps me going. My favorite thing to do is take theories and prove them true or false in the real world. So keep the suggestions coming!

Ehh, rules. I keep forgetting that organized racing has rules out the backside.

Unfortunately, the only suggestion I can make would be to attach a couple of 1x3 planks, one to each side, for testing purposes. If it shows benefit, try making a set out of fiberglass, or try repurposing skirting from a 3rd gen Firebird. The skirting on those cars was long and rectangular, and would probably be the right size. Street Scene used to make them for your truck, but they seem to have gone out of business.

Nice! Glad I could help. If you ever need any assistance let me know. I live near Norterra.

Thanks I appreciate the offer! I think I'm going to start a thread, any input you have will be welcome.

Wow I've slacked on updating this! Sorry everyone, let me bring you up to speed.

So last time I had just gotten most of the aero done and life was nice and calm. Humming right along in a fairly comfortable manner.

I wanted to complete my aero package so that meant I needed to fab up a diffuser. Using my favorite new material, ACM, was the obvious choice. I'm now a dealer for this since the sign shops mark it up too much and make it a pain to even find.

Name:  20210309_212658.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  194.9 KB

Reasonably light while being plenty rigid. Also made it all easy to replace knowing it will inevitably hit things.

Name:  20210314_101221.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  232.1 KB

So now my aero vision for this truck is basically fully realized. I've wanted to do all of this since I started.

Next was to get branding on the truck. Why? Well a while back I actually bought a domain and LLC surrounding all this stuff thinking it would be smart in case this grew beyond what I expected. It has in a big way. I get requests constantly for components or even full chassis to build a truck like mine. Since my job disappeared close to Februaruy I've just been fabbing up stuff for customers at my home shop all while investing a ton of money in to product development and equipment.

Meet the Innovaspeed LLC marketing department:

Name:  20210409_134110.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  247.6 KB

This kinda feels like a long time coming and it has made for a stressful ride already as I spend everyday working on the website and products. I agonized for a couple months over the colors and everything. Preston of GC Cooling/Creative Werks was the MVP designing all this.

So then came the WEST version of the Pro Touring Truck Shootout...which happened to be only 30 min south of me in Chandler, AZ. What a great place to unveil this while shenanigan.

A last-minute donation of rivals ensured this existing setup would have the best chance possible

Name:  20210328_134635.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  42.1 KB

Even I outdid my own expectations!

Ok so the Truck Shootout West was in a word, Phenomenal!

While there is still some important areas to address (mostly the "rules"), the overall idea is great and each event gets better.

I came into the event hoping to maybe crack top 10 in any one single event to at least prove this truck was worthy of the hype I've pushed. This runs a similar format to optima. The required events are autocross, speed n stop, and a drivability cruise. There was also an optional road course which I paid and signed up for.

First up was autocross.

Name:  Screenshot_20210411-212850_Messenger.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  204.2 KB

I only ran about half the runs of most other trucks since they opened the road course after 1pm, but I still put down a time good enough to lock in 10th out of 25 in class. So we were off to a great start of the little 275 BFGs.

At the road course I really pushed myself and the truck.

Name:  Screenshot_20210412-174123_Instagram.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  44.4 KB

The photos might be terrible, but my times were not. I got down to a 67.8 lap time which stuck all the way through Sunday to hold down the 2nd fastest overall time for that event! Seriously, the only truck to beat me was a 2600lbs, 700hp, tube-chassis C10 that cost about 5x what I have in my truck on Michelin slicks. You can hate downforce all you want, but it WORKS. I even had the amazing chance for Billy Johnson (look up Billy Johnson Racing) to flog the truck and he nailed a 66.3 lap with no setup changes. His feedback was exceedingly positive about the suspension system I have engineered.

Sunday was the Baer Speed N Stop. I wasn't expecting great times, but I really wanted to test myself to see if I could hurt some feelings.

Name:  Screenshot_20210411-212948_Messenger.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  150.0 KB

It worked and I somehow drove to a 12.3 which held me to 3rd in class and 6th overall! There is definitely reasons I fully understand as to why I could stop so well with less tire than every other truck within a second of me, but I won't bore you all with the technical side of that. Just know the truck was killing it because this setup is right.

So how did we finish overall? Well they combine your times from each day to get your overall total.

Name:  Screenshot_20210414-104725_Facebook.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  159.9 KB

I ended up 8th overall and 5th in class! This is way better than I anticipated and I feel very motivated to keep pushing the limits here.

What does this mean for my business? This front suspension is about 3 weeks from hitting the market through my website along with about 5 other products. My hope is that others with these trucks are ready to have these results, or better. From there I'll keep developing what I have to allow for more tire and to solve a couple other small design issues I've noticed. So we are far from done here. Some notable companies are interested in partnering up to help my racing program find even more success. Stay tuned for what happens next!

Country Flag: Canada
      Looks great, Are you doing anything to finish the cut edge of the ACM board?
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Quote Originally Posted by protour_chevelle View Post
      Looks great, Are you doing anything to finish the cut edge of the ACM board?
      Absolutely. A couple quick swipes of a metal file is usually enough. Sometimes I have to quickly run a 120 grit flap wheel if the aluminum rolled over. It really doesn't take much to cleanup the edges. I also tried cutting with my shear which worked beautifully and required no cleanup on the edge.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com