Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
      This is a cool build. My truck is a 68 but from my knowledge the chassis are similar.
      The CV frontend is a good low budget choice but I feel the chassis needs to be boxed in.
      I think the driveline is offset for steering box clearance.
      I centered my driveline which helped get my driveshaft operating angles equal.
      I'm excited about my new chassis. It's a No Limit Engineering chassis. I should have went that route from the beginning.
      I cant wait to see more progress on your truck!

Country Flag: United States
      Thanks! I appreciate you checking it out. I've been kinda living vicariously through yours as I had a '69 years ago. God I miss that thing. You're doing all the things I always wanted to do. That's what lead me to building this truck.

I agree with you on the CV front end, but you'd know better than I would. I'll still box my frame for strength no matter what.

I think you're right about the driveline offset. I'm considering centering mine too since I'm changing the location of everything (battery, vintage air, fuel cell, etc.). I'll set a 3 degree pinion angle.

Rob makes gorgeous chassis and I'm sure your truck will be on rails after it all comes together. A part of me wishes I was building a whole frame from scratch or buying one, but that is way more time than I want to wait for this thing to race, and my budget is already crushed so stock frame rails it is. Maybe I'll do that if my bottom end lets go in a year or two.

I've got some great parts progress and updates coming here in a couple days! The UPS and FedEx guys know me by name now. Haha
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

You have the right mindset. I've updated my truck with better shocks, brakes, etc along the way. My truck was a fairly new build, maybe 1.5 years since I got it on the road.
      Me personally..I've wasted alot of money making changes in a short time. That's just me.
      I should have bought a No Limit chassis from the start. It would have saved me money. Again, just me.
      You will be very happy with the CV front and boxed chassis. Square everything up. It makes all the difference in the world.

Cool build! I have known Brian D. for nearly 30 yrs He started his shop in a corner of my garage with a Seat & Guide Machine and a Flow Bench. He did the machine work earlier this year on my 540" Twin Turbo Boss9.

I would have had a pipe bender I simply no longer use.

Looks like you need a Steam Cleaner/Pressure Washer too!

I am only 20 min from Brian's Shop

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectSideOiler View Post
      Cool build! I have known Brian D. for nearly 30 yrs He started his shop in a corner of my garage with a Seat & Guide Machine and a Flow Bench. He did the machine work earlier this year on my 540" Twin Turbo Boss9.

I would have had a pipe bender I simply no longer use.

Looks like you need a Steam Cleaner/Pressure Washer too!

I am only 20 min from Brian's Shop
      Wow what a small world! I'm sure Brian will end up doing more motors for me in the future. He has been awesome to deal with. Maybe I need to work out of the corner of your garage. haha. Seems to have been good luck.

I'm like 10 minutes down the street from him and that's only due to all the traffic lights.

I actually have a pressure washer, but a steam cleaner sure would be nice. I hit the truck with it recently and it helped a ton. I actually need to update this thread with a couple things.

This update took a little longer to come about than I hoped, but obtaining parts has proved to be slow going. I think I make at least 1 phone call a day right now hunting stuff down. Annoyingly the truck really doesn't look like I've touched it. I've been doing some welding on the firewall to patch up holes, but I just realized that I haven't taken many pics of that.

Name:  20181204_213030.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  258.8 KB

This is my process of patching. I use welding magnets to hold up scrap pieces from the inside so I can trace an outline with a sharpie (fabricator's best friend). Then I just cut it out and use panel clamps to hold it flush. Of course I make sure to burn through 50 times so it looks like I was having a seizure while welding.

The best part right now is that everyday is like freaking Christmas already due to all the boxes!

Name:  20181125_154119.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  285.1 KB

Plus I've leveraged SEMA deals and black Friday sales to add tools to the arsenal. Some are mandatory and some are more about convenience, but when I look at my credit card statement they are all 100% required. Haha.

Name:  20181125_160628.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  210.0 KB

Name:  20181121_164101-resize.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  352.5 KB

If you've never seen this bender or heard of Rouge Fabrication that's a shame. They make awesome fab tools like this thing for usually much less than other companies. A lot of the crawler guys love this for bending 2" tube so I figure it will handle my 1.75" stuff with ease. I just need to build a real cart for it.

Name:  20181204_211033.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  268.8 KB

Picked this puppy up on a coupon from Harbor Freight (keep your china comments to yourself). Then I bought the little table for it and made the stand with some casters. I'm only at like $300 as it sits for a metal bandsaw with a 6" throat. It's already been handy.

And the most important update of all....I got a DEAL on this 1995 Mark VIII rear subframe. I couldn't believe it when the girl told me $175! I am swapping to cobra hubs, bearings, and brakes. I'll add 3.55 gears and probably TracLoc. I'm open to suggestions for LSD units. Also, why does nobody seem to make replacement bushings!? I found one place and it's almost $500 for poly! F that. Maybe I'll go throw Delrin in my buddy's lathe later and make my own. For now I'll get going with what's there.

Name:  20181128_185905.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  250.5 KB

Name:  20181128_185620.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  192.7 KB

Little test fit with the ATV jack. It almost looks like it was made for it. I need to go pickup some 1/4" plate and borrow my neighbor's plasma cutter so I can get it installed.

I might have made a deal for the parts I need to start on my custom front suspension. No it's not the CV stuff anymore. It will pretty much be my design. I'll update after I get something.

Still no word on the crank for the motor yet. I love waiting for backorders. I think I can go ahead and make my motor and trans mounts with an empty block so at least that will be done. HUGE shoutout to CVF Racing. They made a killer discount offer for a Wraptor kit. It's here and it's sexy as hell! But you all have to wait to see it when the motor gets home.

-Sean

I'm jealous you made it to SEMA this year, I wasn't able to this year due to outside circumstances. My dad still went and said it was as good as ever. Definitely going next year.

That IRS setup has me getting excited. I've been flip flopping between doing a torque arm or an IRS setup on my Rustang. I know the torque arm is superior for auto crossing, but the IRS is just cool, and the nice ride would make the wife happy. If only I could find one for as cheap as you got yours, I'd be set. Definitely the downside of Yuma, not as much good stuff on Craigslist. I usually have to talk my dad or brother into getting things for me when I find them on CL up there lol.

And last comment, my personal favorite sharpies for working with are those metallic silver ones. They're almost more like a paint pen than a sharpie, they work super good on metal. Might try one out when your current one wears out.

Keep the progress coming!
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Of all the years I worked for performance shops, it took until now when I work in tech sales to wrangle a pass to get in SEMA. Worth it. I'm hoping one of these vendors will welcome this truck into their booth in 2019 (Ahem, Holley! I've spent a ****load with you guys...). That way I can go again!

And IRS is always the answer. I was debating that or Watt's link and I just like IRS more. Plus it really does package better on a lowered vehicle since your entire axle isn't wanting to come through the floor. And I would argue that the IRS is better for autocross since it's easier to keep all tires on the ground. Grip is everything. Funny thing is...I found this deal on craigslist, but it was at a salvage yard. She just quoted me a price right from their "book". Even better, they removed and loaded it at no additional charge. Now that is service!

Agreed on the silver Sharpie. I keep forgetting to buy more. But hey...what's a visit to the store if you don't forget stuff?

Btw...I'm soooo jealous that you're focused on getting the suspension right and not ordering material to fab everything like me. I wanna drive so freaking bad! During break-in and just to make sure everything is good I'm going to drive the truck to work a few days. Should be funny to show up in a suit surrounded by a roll cage and rattling the windows with my big cam.

Looking good! I have been looking at tube benders and will have to give Rogue fabrication a call Monday.

I really like the idea of IRS but I'm afraid I wouldn't get it right. I think the length of the arms go hand in hand with wheelbase, track width, and spring rate.
      I really know nothing about IRS other than it usually works well on factory cars.
      I cant wait to see how it performs!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymzz View Post
      Looking good! I have been looking at tube benders and will have to give Rogue fabrication a call Monday.
      Glad to help. I also bought their Versa Notcher. I've always used the JD notcher in the past, but I like the design of the Rogue unit and it was easy to get them to box it all up together. Food for thought. And they were super cool on the phone. Fellow enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank ZX View Post
      I really like the idea of IRS but I'm afraid I wouldn't get it right. I think the length of the arms go hand in hand with wheelbase, track width, and spring rate.
      I really know nothing about IRS other than it usually works well on factory cars.
      I cant wait to see how it performs!
      It can get pretty complicated for sure. With this unit, it's proven to work well in multiple chassis, including trucks, and all the pivot points/widths are similar to what I'll have up front. With any suspension like this you get more control over the movement with longer arms. That's why you see purpose built cars, like F1, with the arms nearly meeting in the center of the chassis even though they have very limited travel. Even though these aren't super long it will give me a ton of control over the suspension movement. But it is hard for me to explain it through typing like this. It makes sense in my head (doesn't everything).

Also, I dropped a deposit with the guy yesterday for my used suspension parts the front. Yes, used. There is a reason for this which I'll explain later. Just be happy and excited. I am.

As promised, I have procured some more parts. So let's play a game again. Hit me with a guess of what car you think this suspension is from:

Name:  20181210_182352.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  237.7 KB

This should be good.

Also started on the sheet metal patches on the firewall. I knew I was not excited about doing this for a reason.

Name:  20181209_182904.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  238.9 KB

Funny thing is that the welding wasn't too bad. I'd like to be able to turn my MIG welder down a little more, but it works ok. No, the fun part was as I was tacking away and started hearing a hissing noise. After a couple minutes it got the better of me and I walked over to find that my regulator committed suicide and leaked half my new tank out. Yay. Luckily Harbor Freight is open on Sunday's (practically my church lately) and carries a decent regulator. So as you can see I got some holes done. I'll grind it all after I'm done welding.

I'm researching deals on brakes right now (ouch), but I can't divulge more or it will ruin our guessing game for the front. That should be decided and ordered by the end of this week.

aaannnnnnddddd GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      As promised, I have procured some more parts. So let's play a game again. Hit me with a guess of what car you think this suspension is from:

Name:  20181210_182352.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  237.7 KB

This should be good.

Also started on the sheet metal patches on the firewall. I knew I was not excited about doing this for a reason.

Name:  20181209_182904.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  238.9 KB

Funny thing is that the welding wasn't too bad. I'd like to be able to turn my MIG welder down a little more, but it works ok. No, the fun part was as I was tacking away and started hearing a hissing noise. After a couple minutes it got the better of me and I walked over to find that my regulator committed suicide and leaked half my new tank out. Yay. Luckily Harbor Freight is open on Sunday's (practically my church lately) and carries a decent regulator. So as you can see I got some holes done. I'll grind it all after I'm done welding.

I'm researching deals on brakes right now (ouch), but I can't divulge more or it will ruin our guessing game for the front. That should be decided and ordered by the end of this week.

aaannnnnnddddd GO!
      No idea on the suspension.
      Brakes, I was running GT500front rotors and C5 calipers. I made a bracket. On the rear but I never finished them, Freestyle front rotors and I had the center hole machined to fit the axle registers. I was going to use CV front calipers on the rear. The issue is it's all heavy.

S197 mustang
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Frank ZX View Post
      The issue is it's all heavy.
      OEM stuff usually is. To a certain point, mass in the brakes, specifically the rotors, is great for heat absorption. You probably already knew that. I'm trying to find a happy medium of cost vs effectiveness for the first season out. I don't think I'll risk outrunning my brakes until I'm able to get chassis and suspension really dialed and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by frink84 View Post
      S197 mustang
      Damn you're good! Spot on. The trick here is that I'm not building a strut type suspension like it originally was. I'm converting to upper control arms. S197 spindles got me the 5x4.5 pattern with a monster amount of parts support from FRPP and the aftermarket. Using the heart of the OEM subframe was a cheap way to set my lower pickup points without much engineering on my part.

Before I'm committed by welding all the brackets up, would any of you have objections or suggestions for alternatives? Bear in mind that this was to avoid spending $4,000+ on a IFS system that may or may not work with this frame. Nobody makes an off-the-shelf option.

Damn you're good! Spot on. The trick here is that I'm not building a strut type suspension like it originally was. I'm converting to upper control arms. S197 spindles got me the 5x4.5 pattern with a monster amount of parts support from FRPP and the aftermarket. Using the heart of the OEM subframe was a cheap way to set my lower pickup points without much engineering on my part.

Before I'm committed by welding all the brackets up, would any of you have objections or suggestions for alternatives? Bear in mind that this was to avoid spending $4,000+ on a IFS system that may or may not work with this frame. Nobody makes an off-the-shelf option.
      I used to have a S197 GT and spent a LOT of time in the front wheelhouse. The car ended up with aftermarket ball joints, tie rods, and GT500 brakes before I sold it. Good platform to start with for your plans!
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by frink84 View Post
      I used to have a S197 GT and spent a LOT of time in the front wheelhouse. The car ended up with aftermarket ball joints, tie rods, and GT500 brakes before I sold it. Good platform to start with for your plans!
      Then this is going to look somewhat familiar to you as I get it together. I've decided on factory 14" Brembos (GT500/Boss 302) for the front and 12" Cobra IRS rotors with the Mark VIII rear calipers in the rear. Initially I'll try to use the original brake master, but it may not be quite enough to push all these bigger pistons without a major leg workout (I skip leg day).

If any one is wanting to question the upper control arm idea on a strut type spindle, it's good enough for Factory Five and they have a lot more on the line than me. We used to race late model S197s at 3800+ lbs on 315 Hoosier A7s all the way around with down force. I think my 3400lb (a guy can dream) truck on 200tw 315s should be fine if I design it right.

Those of you already running: I'm thinking a matching coilover at all 4 corners with different spring rates. 12 inch ride height with roughly 4 inches of travel. I see QA1 and ridetech offer similar single adjustables. Any input on those or other options? I want simple, but effective with the option to bolt in triple adjustables later. Triples are more than double the cost which is too much right now.

Then this is going to look somewhat familiar to you as I get it together. I've decided on factory 14" Brembos (GT500/Boss 302) for the front and 12" Cobra IRS rotors with the Mark VIII rear calipers in the rear. Initially I'll try to use the original brake master, but it may not be quite enough to push all these bigger pistons without a major leg workout (I skip leg day).
      those brakes will be absolutely killer. on my s197 they were the best brakes i've ever felt! SO MUCH stopping power
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

I need some input from you guys again.

Tonight I want to finally get the chassis totally level so I can hopefully get the suspension sub frames in this weekend. At least close to in. It's sitting on 4 heavy duty jack stands and is close, but not perfect enough. I was thinking I'd shove little steel shims on top of the jack stands to get it perfect and then tack them with the welder so it can't move.

Outside of a chassis table (hopefully one day I'll get one), what do you guys suggest for being stable while modifying the frame?

So I stayed true to my plans and worked on the truck most of the weekend. I actually feel like I was productive and got stuff done.

For leveling I opted to make the bed sides level front to rear as the cab would follow. Then I put 3ft long levels across the frame rails for side to side. It was an annoying process on a floor that has a weird slope and this frame looking like rolling hills. But I got it. Didn't grab any pics. I was too glad to be done with that.

I ran down to borrow my neighbor's plasma cutter. I can't figure out why I don't own one yet other than feeling cheap there. I can honestly say that this job was 1000% easier having one. An angle grinder would have made this miserable. It's already enough work by myself. So I burned in a tube to hold the frame rails steady to start. Then I tore into that cross member. I've wanted to cut this thing since I got the motor out. Felt good. My god this thing is HEAVY! I cut it into chunks to make it easier to manage and save my toes.

Name:  20181215_175826.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  276.0 KB

Success! Then I could test fit that Mustang subframe. Let me say this...if someone ever asks if they should start with a piece like this or just build from scratch, I'm saying scratch. Looking back that is what I should have done, but I'm this far and money is spent to I'm pushing through. After measuring, I needed to raise the sub frame up to get my ride height lower.

Name:  20181216_122827.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  338.2 KB

So I started trimming down with the plasma and grinder.

Name:  20181216_180941.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  239.0 KB

Fit #2

Name:  20181216_184801.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  261.1 KB

Fit #3

Name:  20181216_192742.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  228.2 KB

Name:  20181216_194724.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  203.8 KB

I think this is about where I want it. It looks scarier than it is. I'll plate it in once I verify everything is in perfect alignment. Should be plenty strong. Usually I don't like to NOT bolt this stuff in, but if it ever needs to be replaced I'll just build a new one myself. This should work great for a while at least.

As I'm going I am also fitting the rear. I don't typically like to bounce back and forth like this, but doing so here allows me to make sure that both ends have similar final right heights and good arm angles. This **** takes forever!

Name:  20181216_140447.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  253.0 KB

So you can see that I notched the cross brace on the frame. It might still need to just be removed all together. It still has to go up into the frame another 3 inches or so. I'll be welding the IRS sub frame in permanently too. It's super strong and I haven't even added braces yet. Plus the aluminum arms will fail way before this steel does. Nobody makes bushings anymore and I don't want to spend a ton of time making them. The stock stuff is stupid soft.

Name:  20181216_162902.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  211.0 KB

I'm hunting on craigslist for some factory 18" wheels for cheap. I want to make sure everything looks good with it in there before final welding. I also removed the IRS brakes so I can get the new FRPP hubs and bearings pressed in. Ideally I want to set this down on some cheap wheels/tires this week. I'll put a rod in place of each shock. There is a plan in motion there but you'll have to stay tuned to see.

Guys, I'm SUPER pumped that I'm this far now. After motor/trans mounts it will be mostly little stuff before test firing. Oh, bad ish news on the motor. Scat said my crank is back-ordered until mid January. So no motor until probably close to the end of that month. I'll stay plenty busy in the mean time. Once headers arrive I'll gather up an empty block to make those mounts.

And thanks for getting us over 3,000 views!

-Sean

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com