Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15
    Country Flag: United States

Regarding the ackerman... I think the rule of thumb for was something like if you had an imaginary line drawn through the tie rod end and lower balljoint, the drivers and passenger side should intersect at the rear axle. This would mean for a front steer car, the tie rod end is further out than the lower balljoint. I think its definitely a worthy thing to explore... Alot of the suspension kits that were utilizing a C5/6 spindle are now offering different steering arms to correct the ackerman that was designed into the C5/6 spindle with the intention of a different wheelbase.
    -Chris
    '69 Corvette
    '55 Chevy Hardtop
    AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
    @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
    https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
    Regarding the ackerman... I think the rule of thumb for was something like if you had an imaginary line drawn through the tie rod end and lower balljoint, the drivers and passenger side should intersect at the rear axle. This would mean for a front steer car, the tie rod end is further out than the lower balljoint. I think its definitely a worthy thing to explore... Alot of the suspension kits that were utilizing a C5/6 spindle are now offering different steering arms to correct the ackerman that was designed into the C5/6 spindle with the intention of a different wheelbase.
    I think I did see a couple crude drawings online that showed something along those lines, thanks! I also noticed all the different steering arms for vette spindles and I'm kind of jealous about it. I found 2 options for my spindles so far, but one is for circle track and I'm not too sure about it yet. The other looks great aside from it saying it's for zero ackerman front steer. These people are killing me here! Haha. As usual I'm stuck with the idea of having to make my own, but I have no idea how to even start that and make sure it's strong enough. Anyone ever made steering arms?
    '95 F-150 track ready street beast
    Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by 70CougarXr7 View Post
    Been watching before and said it before, amazing how you do this,
    Bunch of car wizzards on here.

I need to hear that engine running too :D, so post a video when its running
    I'm just a young guy with enough knowledge to be dangerous, but thanks for the kind words. I'm so glad there is actually people watching along even if they don't always chime in.

You better believe I will share multiple videos. I take sound quality VERY seriously too. I've actually kinda vlogged a good bit of the build, but I'm not too hot at editing which makes me super slow at it. The idea was of course to share on YouTube for those that prefer watching strangers talk to a camera. That will probably happen eventually.

This is a great idea to document your build as much as possible. I can't count how many times I've tried searching for suspension related things on google and any bit of info was so hard to find. The more material out there hopefully the better the search engines can pick it up. It takes a lot of time to do though.
    Doug

1970 chevelle, carb'd, turbo'd 383ci with a tremec tko.

Yeah I completely agree. If this even helps one person it was worth it to me.

The most difficult thing I've had to find was actual measurements and degree info on setting this type of suspension up. I was so surprised that more people haven't shared so I'm happy to put it out there. I'll be making sure to update as I test so that you can see any changes I have to make from where I'm starting from now.

Regarding Ackerman and it's effectiveness on street and on track...

My car's Ackerman was greatly increased when I put the ATS spindles on a couple of years ago. My first road test after included a series of 35 mph off\on ramps where two 4 lane highways intersected. I'd typically take these long sweeping corners at around 80-90 mph and on this first test it was immediately apparent how much better the front end reacted mid-turn compared to before...because of the increased Ackerman. Mid turn, steady state, just the slightest input into the steering wheel resulted in immediate reaction from the front tires.

I'm not sure what the Ackerman was on the stock spindles but with the steering arms pointed out on the ATS spindles, I now see 21 degrees on the outside tire net 27 degrees on the inside tire. This has helped EVERYWHERE and I see no ill affects street driving, autocrossing or on track days.

The way I see it, we are already getting everything we can out of the outside front tire...so gains on the inside front tire are the only way to get more front grip. Running huge caster and Ackerman along with a large front sway bar all help to plant that inside front tire for more front grip.
    Lance
    1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Great real world feedback! I also agree with you about making the inside tire more beneficial as we all focus pretty much exclusively on the outside. I'd love to correct my lack of Ackerman while I'm in here, but I can't find steering arms that are any help.

You're usually up on what's out there for parts....know of anything at all for front steer with these spindles?

Not a huge leap forward, but there is a complete drive line in the chassis now. This is definitely the confidence booster I needed. Almost kinda makes me sad to have to go out of town while I'm making good progress.

First I trimmed the X enough for the driveshaft to slide home

Name:  20190617_214014.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  168.1 KB

Then I bent up and fitted my loop to the existing cross member that supports the cab. That Rogue Fabrication M600 bender is so easy to make something like this. I actually bent that flare up on the cross member, but forgot to take a photo. That was for the front factory fuel tank.

Name:  20190617_223601.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  149.6 KB

After that I cut tubes to tie the X back into the loop which made everything super strong again. It's actually stronger than before since there is support in the middle now. I won't go much further than this with bracing due to space limitations, but just putting a jack under one corner of the frame, I can feel a huge increase in stiffness.

Name:  20190620_222249.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  199.0 KB

I think it all fits perfectly and looks pretty great too. I most likely wouldn't do it this way if I was doing it over again, but this will work totally great. Yes, I will cap off each tube. It will just be easier to do after I remove everything.

Also thought I would show the diff side of the driveshaft. I originally wanted the same CV joint that is on the stock mustang drive shaft, but DSS recommended this flange they make since my TKO already has a slip yoke. A CV would let the driveshaft float back and forth. I have to say, it fits flawlessly and they even included bolts. Funny how many parts I have gotten that don't have the hardware. The hardware dept guy at Lowe's knows me now because I'm always looking for grade 8 bolts. Haha

Name:  20190620_222302.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  158.6 KB

I also noticed something else while working on the back half last night. The OEM parking brake cables routed through a bracket just under the driver's butt on the frame. The mustang cables actually reach over there easily so I might try to adapt it to the stock E brake setup. It will fit easier once I cut the leaf spring mounts off, but they are doing great as jack stand mounts right now. Funny all the little things you never think of when you start a project like this.

Name:  20190620_215225.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  297.7 KB

That's probably all I'll get done for a couple weeks as I have a work conference coming up and I always fly to MD to see all my family for the 4th of July. I'm already excited to get back and finish the frame though.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15