Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Nova with T56

Country Flag: Canada

Nova with T56

The time has come to retire my tired T10 four speed in my '71 Nova. While researching a T56 swap it has become apparent that I will need to cut out most if not all of the floor reinforcement cross member because the T56 shifter wants to occupy the same space.
      I would like to know what others have done to restore strength to this area of the floor. The cross member is a decent sized structure so it has to be contributing to the strength of the floor and the rear of the sub frame bolts to it. The last thing I want is structure problems after having to do all that fab work.
      I was also wondering what you have used for a transmission cross member. There sure are a lot to choose from.
      Any pictures, wisdom, or even folklore would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Country Flag: United States
      Ken,

I put in a T56 in a 1970. I did have to cut out the floor cross member out. I also had to cut a small section up front near the seam to get the trans to fit.

For the rear floor cross member....I added bucket seats to my Nova and assumed that the bracket I had to weld over the hump would satisfy the support for the missing cross member under the hump.

For the trans cross member I cut up my T400 cross member and added a 180 metal tube to catch the trans mount. Here is a pick right before I final welded it in place. I have about $20 worth of scrap metal vs $$$ they want for the bolt in pieces

Brian

1972 C10 - 454/TH400 - Short bed conversion - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...1972-C10-SoCal
      1970 Nova - LS Swap - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Cal?highlight=

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
      For the rear floor cross member....I added bucket seats to my Nova and assumed that the bracket I had to weld over the hump would satisfy the support for the missing cross member under the hump.
      This looks like a decent solution.
      I have ProCar buckets with their floor brackets, but I'm sure I could mod the factory bucket bracket. Just cut off what I don't need and weld in the rest.
      I'm not too comfortable making my own trans cross member but may give it a try anyways.
      Thanks for your response.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com