Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Hydraulic clutch system - DIY or prefab

Hello
      I have a 65 Pontiac with a mildly built 455. I have a brand new Tremec TKO thats going in this winter. I am looking at options for a hydraulic clutch and there seems to be 2 types of systems out there, DIY or pre fabbed - Silver Sport - American drive, etc...

There is a HUGE difference in price, $650 compaired to > $200.

I am a little unsure how to make the csc work out of... , lets say, a 2002 Camaro T56, how that gets shimmed for clearance. I am suspecting the input shaft retainer is the same or close to the TKO and T56.

Can anyone help me out with this? Maybe someone has links ? I absolutely have no problem spending the extra cash if I get something way better for the money.
      Does anyone know the part number of a Pontiac roller pilot bearing? Tremec seems to want one in there.

Thanks in advance

Pic just for funName:  21558882_2046562985369677_8175387457794544723_n.jpeg
Views: 231
Size:  45.8 KB

I bought mine for my 67 chevelle from Bowler. It works exactly as advertised. It utilizes a McCleod throwout bearing, a Tilton Master cylinder, and a mounting bracket they make...

I'm cheap, so did the DIY method in my Javelin using a Camaro slave (no shimming req'd for my application), Russel adapter to an AN brake line fitting (replace the stock quick-coupling), made a line using bulk braided stainless Teflon brake hose and reusable ends, fit a Wilwood master with remote reservoir, simple pedal bracket with heim and threaded coupling to the master. More work than a kit, but price was right and had the satisfaction of doing it myself. Would have used an OEM master, but didn't find one that fit well with the stock booster without adding complexity to the pedal arrangement.

It's nice to have a readily available parts store CSC ... would have been nice to have a parts store master. If you're not into designing your own kit, an off-the-shelf kit may be better.
      Duane
      '74 AMC Javelin AMX

Quote Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
      I bought mine for my 67 chevelle from Bowler...
      Yup Bowler has some very good stuff. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMC Racer View Post
      did the DIY method in my Javelin using a Camaro slave ...

Awesome thanks for the description. I am leaning to the DIY because I have the shop and tools. My concern was "what if I need to shim" but I guess I could go to a machine shop if needed, the aftermarket stuff has some really good ideas when it come to adjusting the correct clearances. I have access to the parts needed for the hoses. I actually prefer to make the linkage myself so I can realy dial it in.
      Can I ask what size of master did you use? I am looking at 3/4 ...

Thanks

I used a 13/16" master ... but 3/4" would likely also work and is a more common OEM size.

Not sure the etiquette of linking to other sites, and not a Pontiac, but may give you some ideas and parts I used here (assuming photos show up):
      http://theamcforum.com/forum/6-speed...opic48121.html
      Duane
      '74 AMC Javelin AMX

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com