Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Leaking Brake Hose

I finished my LS-swap, but I've been fighting brake issues that have kept me from putting many miles on it. Now I have a hose on the passenger front that I cannot get to stop leaking.

1. I have a new caliper
      2. New hose
      3. tried two different banjo bolts (one was a metric head and the one on there now is a standard head, but both thread into the caliper fine)
      4. I've been through three sets of crush washers.
      5. The thing just will not stop leaking where the hose meets the caliper. I've gone from just wrench tight (so finger tight plus maybe a 1/2 turn), which leaked like crazy, to the point now where I'm afraid of stripping the caliper or bolt if I tighten in anymore, with three or four stages of gradually tighter in between.

Anyone have any tricks up their sleeve for getting this thing to seal? I've never had any issue with one in the past, but I'm losing my mind at this point

I suppose the last option is to replace the caliper (again) in case there's some sort of casting flaw keeping it from sealing.
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Country Flag: United States
      What calipers are you using? If you can thread either metric and standard thread banjo bolts to the caliper, then something's off with the calipers. That may explain why you can't get a seal.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

It's an Oreilly reman of a '70 Chevelle caliper. The caliper that came off of it is from a disc brake upgrade kit from Matt's Classic Bowties. That kit had metric banjo bolts. I was surprised that the bolts would interchange, and even the standard bolts fit in the MCB caliper.

Just to clarify, when I realized there are metric and standard parts here, I made sure to use the matching parts. So I bought a hose for a 1969 camaro, a caliper for a 70 Chevelle, and used the standard bolt. So I (should) have matching parts on the car now.

Country Flag: United States
      All copper crush washers aren't created the same. Not sure what you're using, though. I never had success with the thick(er) ones.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

Anneal the crush washers first. Heat them to a dull red and dunk them in some water. They will now be soft as butter.

Bob.

I ended up putting the original caliper back on the car (it turned out not to be the problem I was trying to fix), and so far (knock on wood) it has sealed up on the first shot.

I've read the trick about annealing the washers before, but was hesitant to try it. I may give it a go the next time I swap a hose. I really don't like hassling with leaking brake lines and hoses!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com