Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1969 Chevelle rim and brake combo

Ok, so I joined here after weeks of searching Google. I have a 69 Chevelle we are currently building an L-76 motor and will be running either an LSA blower or a Centrifugal. It currently is a stock disk brake car with rear drums and 15" rims all around. Looking at Wilwood options, they offer a 15" front rotor kit, but it requires a minimum 20" rim. Originally I liked the idea of 18s and 20s as I didn't think 20s on the front would clear without rubbing but I have not found a definitive answer. I want to keep the car around stock ride height. I could go 19s up front, but then I couldn't go 15" rotor. What do you guys think?

I hate rubber band looking tires so I want something around 50 series. I have 19x10s with 40 series on my Vette and HATE the ride!

So:
      20x8 ish front and 20x10 rear?
      19x8 ish front? Drop down to smaller front brakes?
      Something else?

Country Flag: United States
      If you hate rubber bands, then you don't want 20s. Also, why do you need 15" rotors?

Personally, I would go with 14" rotors in the front and run 18" wheels all around. Falken makes a 295/40-18 (27" tall) that will fit in the rear and on the front you can run 255/40-18s (26" tall). It is a great combination that will look great and have good handling, presuming you have updates suspension.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

@andrewb70

Not trying to bash, but wouldn’t a square setup provide best handling?

Country Flag: Canada
      No not necessarily... the weight bias of the car will play into that thought process
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by Yanchik View Post
      @andrewb70

It depends how the car is set up. Then again there are aesthetics to consider. A small stagger in width does look good on an A-body.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      If you hate rubber bands, then you don't want 20s. Also, why do you need 15" rotors?

Personally, I would go with 14" rotors in the front and run 18" wheels all around. Falken makes a 295/40-18 (27" tall) that will fit in the rear and on the front you can run 255/40-18s (26" tall). It is a great combination that will look great and have good handling, presuming you have updates suspension.

Andrew
      I drive a 69 Chevelle, "need" has little to do with anything, lol.

What's the difference between a 40 series on an 18 vs a 20? My current 19s have 40 series tires. While I wouldn't call them rubber bands, a slightly larger side wall would be nice.

My wife and I both love the look of tucking rim in the rear. Since I don't want to lower the car, bigger rims are the only option.

The difference is overall tire diameter. It's a Chevelle, not a dump truck. In terms of aesthetics, I think a 27" tall tire in the rear and a 26" tall tire in the front is perfect. Now go look at various tire sizes for 20" wheels and see what kind of overall tire diameter you're working with.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Will a 20x10 with 5.5 back spacing fit out back, without rolling/trimming?

Are there any issues up front running a 20x8.5?

Quote Originally Posted by M.F.D.B. View Post
      Will a 20x10 with 5.5 back spacing fit out back, without rolling/trimming?
      Yes, unless the rear quarters were replaced and poorly fitted. Then, you "might" have to mildly roll the fender lips. My suggestion would be 20x10's w/5.75" backspacing (+6 offset), if possible. I'm running that wheel spec, with 305/30/20 Nitto 555 G2's on the rear of my 70 Elco, with 2" drop. No fenders mods have been required.

Quote Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
      Yes, unless the rear quarters were replaced and poorly fitted. Then, you "might" have to mildly roll the fender lips. My suggestion would be 20x10's w/5.75" backspacing (+6 offset), if possible. I'm running that wheel spec, with 305/30/20 Nitto 555 G2's on the rear of my 70 Elco, with 2" drop. No fenders mods have been required.

Are Elco rear fenders the same as a Chevelle?

I certainly dont want to go as tiny as a 30 series but the fact you have a 2" means I should have similar clearance with stock height and a bigger sidewall.

The rims I want are the same as you have now (and my car currently has, but in 15"). The difference is the spokes are black and the lip is a deep dish bare machined (about 4" lip). The only problem is since they are discontinued, im stuck with the 5.5" back spacing of the remaining inventory. I have looked all over and have not found an alternative. =(

Are Elco rear fenders the same as a Chevelle?

I certainly dont want to go as tiny as a 30 series but the fact you have a 2" means I should have similar clearance with stock height and a bigger sidewall.

The rims I want are the same as you have now (and my car currently has, but in 15"). The difference is the spokes are black and the lip is a deep dish bare machined (about 4" lip). The only problem is since they are discontinued, im stuck with the 5.5" back spacing of the remaining inventory. I have looked all over and have not found an alternative. =(
      Yes, wheelwells are pretty much the same dimensions. As others have mentioned already, if you have to have a tall sidewall, you're wasting your time looking at 20's. My 305/30/20's are 27.2" tall which equals a 3.6" sidewall. Even a 5" sidewall on a 20" wheel would equate to a 30" tall tire. That's getting really close to a max-height tire, for an A-body.

A 10" width wheel with zero or positive offset will not have a deep dish. Deep dish wheels are almost always negative offset and these cars do not like those, especially if wider than a 7" width.

Here is one thread you can dig into, I love the stance and wide footprint.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lle?highlight=
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

Sorry, I timed-out before finishing....

Wheel/tire specs: 275/35/18 front, 315/30/18 rear.
      On Forgeline 18x9.5 (5.5 bs) 18x11 (6.5 bs) Stock frame, no tubbing in the rear
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

The, "deep dish" on the Torque Thrust style wheel comes from the curvature of the spokes. I'll attach a couple pics of what I'm looking to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mc84_zz4 View Post
      Here is one thread you can dig into, I love the stance and wide footprint.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lle?highlight=
      Bitchin!
      Attached Images Attached Images    

To be honest you might be able to clear the 15'' rotors with a 19'' wheel. i have the 14'' wilwood aero setup and i have tons of room with a 18'' wheel. Obviously each wheel is different but i think it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn0331 View Post
      To be honest you might be able to clear the 15'' rotors with a 19'' wheel. i have the 14'' wilwood aero setup and i have tons of room with a 18'' wheel. Obviously each wheel is different but i think it would work.
      You are right, I double checked and the minimum is a 19. But I'm not sure it would be better in regards to tire choices tho?

But I'm not sure it would be better in regards to tire choices tho?
      Why is that? What tire width do you want to run?
      Either a 265, 275, or 285, in a 30 or 35 aspect ratio, would work well, in a 19.

Billet Specialties Speedway Wheels

Here is an example of Billet Specialties Legends Series Speedway Wheel on Chevelle 20X8.5 and 20X10

Name:  Chevelle-2.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  282.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Billet-Specialties View Post
      Here is an example of Billet Specialties Legends Series Speedway Wheel on Chevelle 20X8.5 and 20X10

Name:  Chevelle-2.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  282.2 KB

That thing looks bitchin! It's lower than I'd go with these terrible streets here in Vegas. What's the specs on the back spacing and tires? Any fender mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanchik View Post
      @andrewb70

Not at all, you want to fit as much tire as you can, and adjust spring rates, accordingly. On my track car (Porsche 944), I had been running square to try to extend tire life to a staggered setup as I got faster and stuff. Rear spring rates went from 550 to 850 when I did that, didn't miss a beat (well, it absolutely did when I tried driving it the first time just by adjusting the way bars - once I got the right springs on there, it was fantastic). Most of the race cars we run are 245 front, 285 rear.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com