Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Daily beater '74 F100

Here's my daily beater/sometime race truck/tow vehicle '74 F100. My goal for the truck is to be competitive at autocross, leave the factory bench seat and interior stock, and to do it with the front I-beams still intact, as everyone is doing Crown Vic swaps, and I like to be difficult hahaha.....Plus it's got to fire up every morning and get me to work no matter the weather, which here in Montana means -20 to 110 above, in snow (I put snow tires on), rain, shine, basically whatever may come, it has to function like a truck still.

I got this about 4 years ago as a $1500 beater from a friend of mine that knew I've been looking for one. It had a weak sack 360 and about every old school farmer accessory at the time (chrome roll bar, visor, slider rear window, CB, etc.) First thing I did after pulling all the nastiness off it was get some 18x8.5 and 18x10 Ridler 645s for it with some 235/55 and 265/60 tires, as anything decent looking in the 5x5.5" bolt pattern is difficult to find, especially reasonably priced. I then dropped it 3.5" front and about 4.5" out back by doing a coil cut, half flip on the hangers, and Crown Suspension shackles on the stock leaves. Then I pulled the 360 out and stroked it with a 390 crank and rods, ported the stock heads, and did a poor man's "rebuild" on it (rebearing, re-ring). I drove/raced/flogged it like that for 3 years and 50,000 miles until earlier this year when on my way to an autocross in Helena, MT it started smoking and missing. I turned around, limped it home, and compression tested it with 2 cylinders at 0, and 4 under 80 psi, so out the engine came again....after tear down, I had 6 cylinders with broken compression rings, and one totally lunched hyper piston, and the block was now toast along with a couple chambers on the heads.

At this point, I decided to make it a little bit more competitive as I race it in the SSM class in autocross, and there's some pretty stout machinery there. I started making phone calls to suspension companies, cylinder head companies, etc. ADDCO got back to me and cut me a really sweet deal on both front and rear sway-bars, and got them to me weeks before they came off national backorder. Also got a hold of Promaxx Performance, and got a set of aluminum heads from them for less than what rebuilding my stock heads was going to cost me. I found another FE block and had it bored .030 over and put in some Speed Pro hypereutectic pistons and moly rings. I got a hold of Scotty Johnston at Re-In-Carnation performance and had him build me a custom hydraulic cam, and got a custom Holley 3310 built for it from DEADMANSCURVE off a Buick forum I'm on. It's got 1 3/4" primary Hooker headers, and an Edelbrock Performer RPM I port matched to the heads, along with a windage tray. Pretty basic, reliable, pump gas build with roughly 400 hp and 500ish ft-lbs.

So for now I've still got my cut front springs on the stock beams (sets the camber at about 6 degrees negative, doesn't wear out the tires too bad, and drives straight), KYB Gas-Adjust shocks on all four corners, a Competiton Engineering panhard bar, and ADDCO front and rear sway bars. I've also got polyurethane bushings in just about everything you can on it. Currently still running stock discs/drums, but that's going to change in the near future. I've also got a take off set of Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics I'm going to be getting a set of lighter wheels and haul those to the track and swap on when racing. So far, so good, as I'm usually competitive with things like stock WRXs, Chevy SSs, LT-1 powered Camaros, 5.0s, etc....Pretty happy with it, but it'll be getting better as things progress along.
      Attached Images Attached Images                
      Lucas Johnson

1972 Mach 1 552", my first car
      1974 F100 daily beater/race truck. 396" aluminum headed Ford FE
      1963 Riviera, 401" Nailhead, low and slow cruiser
      1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville, 472" road trip car

More pics.....
      Lucas Johnson

Nice truck
      Got my dads 76 f100 in the garage.

That's certainly a cool truck. I gotta say, that's some high ambition to be competitive on I-Beams. But, if you're set on that, I would suggest drop beams, then get some proper drop coils and upgrade to ridetech HQ shocks. Maybe try to incorporate some first-gen Lightning suspension mods?

As for braking, try some slightly more aggressive pads like the Hawk HPS. Even on stock rotors and calipers, they can make a big difference.

Since you plan to take "race" wheels to change at the track, make sure those wheels have proper tires like BFG Rival, Bridgestone RE-71, or the new Kumho Ecsta V720. Go 18" and square it up. Since wheels are limited in your bolt pattern, if you find some 18x9.5 wheels and stick some 275/35/18 tires on all four, you'll be rocking pretty good and the autocross courses.
      Matt Kenner

68 C10 stepside

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Quote Originally Posted by Slick68 View Post
      That's certainly a cool truck. I gotta say, that's some high ambition to be competitive on I-Beams. But, if you're set on that, I would suggest drop beams, then get some proper drop coils and upgrade to ridetech HQ shocks. Maybe try to incorporate some first-gen Lightning suspension mods?

As for braking, try some slightly more aggressive pads like the Hawk HPS. Even on stock rotors and calipers, they can make a big difference.

Since you plan to take "race" wheels to change at the track, make sure those wheels have proper tires like BFG Rival, Bridgestone RE-71, or the new Kumho Ecsta V720. Go 18" and square it up. Since wheels are limited in your bolt pattern, if you find some 18x9.5 wheels and stick some 275/35/18 tires on all four, you'll be rocking pretty good and the autocross courses.
      Thanks for the replies and tips, guys....Yeah, it's not the easiest path with the I-beams for sure. Haven't done the "Dream Beams" 3" drop for budget reasons (I'd go to a Crown Vic swap for the scratch involved), but I am looking into real proper coils. Right now, the way it's set up I'm able to outrun most the stock class guys in their Chevy SS's, Dodge Chargers/Challengers, regular non-turbo Subarus, and most the 3rd and 4th Gen F-body guys (even some of those that are set-up ok). I run the shop at a Chevy/Caddy dealer, so I've got a lot of take off tires stacked in my basement in 18s, 19s, and 20s from Vettes and Camaros, from 245/40 18s all the way up to 335 width Michelin Pilots off a new Z06. I've got some "green stuff" pads on the front right now, which helped a bit, but I'll look at the Hawks, and going to do braided brake lines also. There's a company making rear disc conversions for the truck in the stock bolt pattern now, so that's on the list, too. Again, thanks very much for the suggestions! Hopefully somebody has a set of 18" rims sitting around collecting dust.
      Lucas Johnson

Do you watch Truck Tech on PowerNation TV?

Those guys just did a 1974 F100. It was a cool project to watch the progress on.

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/b...-the-1974-f100
      Brian

1972 C10 - 454/TH400 - Short bed conversion - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...1972-C10-SoCal
      1970 Nova - LS Swap - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Cal?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
      Do you watch Truck Tech on PowerNation TV?

Those guys just did a 1974 F100. It was a cool project to watch the progress on.

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/b...-the-1974-f100
      I do, but hadn't seen that. Thanks for the heads up!
      Lucas Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by SonomaZ View Post
      Hoonitruck!

Just stumbled across this today.
      Might get a kick out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgqyzQY9gks
      DAMNIT! I came here to post this. But I like that you're trying to make the beams work @1972Mach1. I took one look under my 95 when I decided to build it for track and said no way.

I did not see any interior pics...is this truck an auto or manual trans? Also looks like you are still running the bench seat?
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      DAMNIT! I came here to post this. But I like that you're trying to make the beams work @1972Mach1. I took one look under my 95 when I decided to build it for track and said no way.

I did not see any interior pics...is this truck an auto or manual trans? Also looks like you are still running the bench seat?
      Quote Originally Posted by SonomaZ View Post
      Hoonitruck!

Just stumbled across this today.
      Might get a kick out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgqyzQY9gks
      Yeah, saw that yesterday....That thing is BADA$$!!!! Interior on the truck is stock, still bench seat, still lap belts. Eventually I'll be putting in an interior 4 point rollbar with hidden harnesses, but I'm into old school hot rods, so I'll be keeping the bench and stock belts too. Right now, when I'm done with an autocross, I can hardly walk the next day because my ribs and core are so sore from holding myself up, and I'll have a 8" bruise on the outside of my left leg from my thigh to my calf from pushing it against the door panel. But, to me, that's part of the fun with this thing is going out running guys with what just looks like a stock truck with a stock interior. Plus, I do drive it almost every single day, and that bench is a fantastic place to sit....these race pics are from BEFORE the suspension mods, you can see the impressive lean angle of the truck and myself going the opposite way. I have to have the window open because I'll hang my head outside the truck on left handers.

Took it for a 400 mile mountain roadie last weekend just because. Got some good corners, and finished off the rear tires. Going to be putting the moondiscs and whitewall snow tires back on in the next month, anyway, so I'll just finish out the year on the bare skins.

Also in contact with Fitech, going to be trying out the Easy Street 600 system on it. Will be ordering that up next month or December. Looking forward to that.....

(Oh, and that's right, I've got a Mooneyes metalflake steering wheel, 8 ball column shift, and Sun Supertach.)
      Lucas Johnson

Speaking of a 4 point roll bar, anybody know anyone that makes a basic kit for these trucks? I've checked S&W and a few others, but can't find a simple bar for sale.....
      Lucas Johnson

Sad day, had to give into winter finally and go back to old school.
      Lucas Johnson

Well, I called up FiTech and got a pretty sweet deal on a dealer returned but still new Go EFI 600 system and Command Center 2. Waiting on the Command Center 2 as they're on backorder until the end of December. Also scored some free buggy harnesses from a member on the Buick forum I'm on, so I'll be installing those to help with my unintended core training while racing. My plan is to keep the factory lap belts for everyday driving, and have these mounted and stuffed behind the seat until race day.....
      Lucas Johnson

Glad you scored deals on both FI and harnesses. These trucks are sooooo much nicer with injection. I remember my first event with a harness. I couldn't believe how much easier it was on my body and I felt more confident in the vehicle.

Glad you scored deals on both FI and harnesses. These trucks are sooooo much nicer with injection. I remember my first event with a harness. I couldn't believe how much easier it was on my body and I felt more confident in the vehicle.
      Yeah, it was definitely a work out with just the lap belts. Looking forward to being able to concentrate on driving and not holding myself upright hahaha.....With the varying driving conditions this truck goes through, I think the EFI is going to be a big step up. Also looking forward to putting remote start on it. Been about 5 degrees here a few mornings already this year, and sitting in it keeping it running with the carb till it's warm enough to take off is less than pleasant.

Lucas Johnson

Christmas! Well, one of the many good things that come out of being born into a car family, you get parts for Christmas, birthdays, etc. This year I was lucky enough to get some pretty cool stuff for the beater: Got a Detroit Truetrac, Champion 3 core radiator, and a Tuff Stuff high flow aluminum water pump.....still waiting on my Fuel Command Center to show up, but I'll probably end up tackling all the projects at once now. The FiTech has a control for electric fans, so I'll be ordering a full set up with shrouds after the 1st of the year.
      Lucas Johnson

Nice! You're 100% right about car families being great at Christmas. I have a similar champion radiator for my project. I bought the set with shroud and 2 electric fans for my 4 row. I bet they make one for yours too. Seems like these are pretty well made. Looks like you have plenty of work to do. Fun!

Thanks! Yes, pretty lucky as far as family goes. I've got Champion radiators in all my stuff, they're top notch. Fit like stock. I was going to get their fan kit, but they only have duals and I'm going to try to find a single 16" first instead of running two smaller ones. I'm a little afraid of voltage draw between running my FiTech, Command Center, stereo, headlights, etc. with dual fans. We'll see what I end up doing, because it'd be nice just to buy the kit Champion sells for shrouds and fans and just bolt it in.
      Lucas Johnson

I'm new to running dual fans too. Figured I'll run them set for different temps. I grabbed the relay kit Vintage Air sells when I got my air kit. Single 16" fan is all I've run in the past. You'll be fine.

I'm new to running dual fans too. Figured I'll run them set for different temps. I grabbed the relay kit Vintage Air sells when I got my air kit. Single 16" fan is all I've run in the past. You'll be fine.
      Well, here's the fan/shroud combo I scored off eBay from Radiators for Less. It's the Champion brand shroud, so it should bolt right on. Don't know what brand the fan is, but it's supposedly good to 2500 cfm. I figure for $109 shipped, if the fan kicks the bucket, I'm still good and I'll just get a good 16" replacement from Derale or the like. Debating on using the FiTech to control the fan or running a toggle, as sometimes I prefer to let my other cars with electric fans sit for a few minutes to cool down after I shut them off. Also got a new quick ratio steering box and lines from Lares, it's 3.5 turns lock to lock. Supposed to be 40+ degrees and sunny this weekend, so my goal is to get the steering box and lines installed, and we'll see what else happens. Kind of tough to get anything done other than parts ordering on the beater when it's my daily driver, it's snowing and been under 30 degrees for a couple months, and the garage is full of my good cars I won't leave outside......
      Name:  part8.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  14.4 KBName:  part9.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  139.3 KBName:  mach3.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  17.0 KBName:  riviera10.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  20.3 KB

P.S. Can anybody tell me how the hell do I keep my pictures from stacking all weird and in different sizes like they do? Thanks!
      Lucas Johnson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com