Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

67 GTO in Knoxville TN, auto engineer background

Greetin's, y'all! So I've owned my GTO since May 13th, 1989. Bought it when I was 15 out of Stockbridge, GA (I'm from nearby Griffin). Mild rebuild of engine in HS when time and money allowed, cheap backyard paint job when I graduated, and drove it for about half of my freshman year at Georgia Tech. Was involved in the local GTO club (SEGTOAA) and it was one of the two cars used on the stuff (shirts, plaques, etc.) when we hosted the 97 Nationals. Got tired of it being around show cars, so I decided I'd "scuff it and shoot it" when I was in grad school. Which just doesn't work for me, so I ended up replacing one quarter panel, a patch of another, stripped down to bare metal, shot it in EP, and ended up running out of time as I was wrapping up my thesis. Then 67Queen and I moved to SE Michigan where I did engine development for Ford, and she did her residency then fellowship at UM. And then we had kids. And then I got into Turbo Fords. And, and, and......I'm sure y'all know the drill.

Anyway, moved to Knoxville, I went through some start up companies, got into road course stuff (I've been though some 944/968's, still have a couple, one is a race car). Thought I was going to be able to have the bodywork done a few years ago. I've painted a few cars, and I just absolutely hate doing bodywork, but I also want the GTO done right. Guy who was going to do it ended up going through a divorce, and now lives in Nebraska, where he does some hot rod work.

At any rate, my father recently passed away, and the GTO was one thing of mine he always loved. Went to the car shows with me, helped me out (though he wasn't mechanical) any time and way he could. So I've already talked to 67Queen about it, and she is good with me going ahead with things.

Car is a numbers matching base (335 horse) model with an automatic, power steering, and manual disk brakes (disk brakes were RARE in 67 - they used Corvette 4 piston calipers in 67-68). Tyrol Blue/Black. Has the "His & Hers" Hurst shifter. Southern car, pretty solid. Was actually made in Fremont, CA, not sure when it came over to GA. But as with many southern cars, it is pretty solid, but did have issues with rust in the quarter panels as leaves collected, and then acted like a sponge. But no cancer from salt.

So here are the hopes and plans. Car is all numbers matching, so I don't want to do anything that can't be undone. But I want to make it more enjoyable. Which means faster, better suspension, and better brakes.

-Engine. Currently a 0.030" over 400 that I went though again in college, but I want to do a stroker to get it up to a 455. I am keeping it Pontiac, rather than doing an LS conversion (I'd rather do a Coyote if a modern swap anyway, as I was involved very early on in that). Of course want to do the Edelbrock heads. I've designed some engine stuff and have built a pretty comprehensive model for some consulting stuff I've done, so I hope to design a port injection intake with runners tuned how I want them. Now, fabrication is another matter, but I'll table that.
      -Transmission. It is an auto. Would love to do some crazy nonsense like a 6L80, but that doesn't seem to be feasible for the floorpans (which I don't want to cut) or the controls (though I guess if I'm doing port injection, I could potentially use an LS PCM.....). So either a 200-4R or maybe a 4L80. TH400 just isn't going to cut it due to the lack of an overdrive. I haven't ruled out a manual conversion, though it would have to be one of the 5 speeds that will fit the trans tunnel.
      -Suspension. Keep it simple to start with. Plan is to go with teh ATS hub/spindle system up front that uses the C5 hub, and appropriate control arms. Not sure if that allows C5 brakes to bolt on or not, haven't been able to determine that. But if so, I'll probably start with that, and look to upgrade later. Am very intrigued by the Unisteer rack and pinion conversion, but will need to make sure that is compatible with the improved geometry components that are of a higher priority. Out back, pretty simple, as much as I'd love tto somehow do some crazy IRS, I don't see anything like that happening without some major surgery, which I don't want to do. I have a couple of 10 bolts laying around, so I may stick with that until I break one, though I think that the Auburn diff is pretty stout. I know that autocrossing is becoming pretty popular, but having spent a fair amount of time on tracks, I don't particularly enjoy autocrossing too much. Nevermind that huge overhang in the rear which doesn't exactly lend itself to a nimble car.
      -Body. Car is Tyrol Blue, and will stay that color. Only body stuff I'd do is trim the inner lips of the fenders and quarters to allow a little bit more rubber, but I'm going to keep the chrome trim, so I won't be rolling them. Have been considering some sort of mini-tubs in the back, but I'm not sure it'll buy me anything since the frame is right there.
      -Interior. It is black but I really like the look of Parchment with Tyrol Blue. So I may look at having some work done, maybe with different seats (would love to have a 3 point belt) if I can get them to resemble the stock ones. I can do some work, so I may consider the upper door panels myself. I like the contrasting look of black carpet with lighter interiors, so I may keep that.
      -Wheels. American Torque-Thrust. Would prefer the magnesium look spoke finish to the polished, but I don't know if they make a 17" wheel with that finish. Brake clearance may also be an issue, it is with teh factory brakes.

As for me, I'm an engineer. Used to do engine development for Ford, working on teh Modulars. Did some early, early work on the new 5.0 Coyote. Have been involved in the Porsche club racing world more recently, though my efforts to actually race have been thwarted by a hit, then mechanical problems. Each time in the first practice session. But I've done the track days and have instructed for a few different clubs. Co-founded Performance Racing Oils, which is the North American importer for MIllers Oils. Was the technical guy, so I know a lot about oil, too. Former business partner is a suspension guy who has done a little pro racing, so I picked up quite a bit from him. Rewired several of the race cars, so I'm good with electrical. What I am not good with is fab work. Ah, well. Currently just doing side stuff when it comes up. Walked away from the business a couple of years ago for various reasons, but still help out when I can. Wife has a crazy schedule, and kids are super active. I spend on average over 3 hours a day in teh car, over 100 miles, and am up at 3:35AM to get them around for swim practice before school, then often don't get home after school until 8:00PM. So that's the dad life, now I guess.

Also have a 66 Bronco I inherited from my great uncle several years ago. Untouched, unrestored U13 roadster. 89 944 Turbo S I've been collecting parts for to do a bit of hot rod work on. Race car is an 88 Turbo, but I've converted it to an NA 944S so I can run lighter, and hopefully more reliably.

Here's a shot of the GTO with a 69 4-4-2 I sold a while back.
      Name:  temp.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  84.7 KB

Welcome!

Sounds like we share some of our early experiences with our GTOs!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Welcome!

Sounds like we share some of our early experiences with our GTOs!

Andrew
      Yours has been a common sight as I've been doing my searches :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
      Yours has been a common sight as I've been doing my searches :-)
      Well, I have been a member for 17.5 years, and my GTO has gone through a couple of revisions, so it is no surprise you have run across my threads :-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Welcome from CA as a fellow 67 GTO owner.

Welcome! Lots of good info on here about our A-bodies!
      Chris Johnson

'66 Chevelle Malibu

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com