Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Country Flag: France
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
      Looking good so far.
      I hope you have a registration for it because it's getting tougher with the FFVE.
      got it before cutting lol !!
      69 mustang in the built
      70 cuda 440 in restoration

Quote Originally Posted by lilian View Post
      got it before cutting lol !!
      Good for you because some guys had the cops called on them by the ffve and now they face procecussion for false declaration and forgery, their title have been seized and possibly their vehicules too...
      Everything can be fixed with a big hammer.

not done a lot lately due to lots of work outside but I figured how to modify the 99 explorer 8.8 axle and we went to cut 2 axles to make 2 axles .....

long story short, we cut the longest tube on one axle to weld it on the short axle tube on the other axle, so we added 73 mm in length to one side !! why 73 mm ?

this is only budget minded, this way I can use the longer explorer axle shaft on both side of the axle and the shorter axle on the other axle so now I have a 62" wide 31 spline limited slip disc brake rear axle for my 69 mustang and a 56" wide 8.8 for another car.

total cost : purchase of 2 8.8 : $450
      labour cost ( I had the tube professionnally welded) : $300

black paint to make them look new : $20

not bad for 2 complete axles
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      69 mustang in the built

I need to finished cutting the brackets and work on the 4 link suspension
      69 mustang in the built

here is the suspension kit, looks like chinese crap, bought it off ebaayyy I will put it on the stang but may go with home built heavy duty stuff later !!Name:  IMG_20190531_184029.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  100.7 KB
      69 mustang in the built

What a cool (and creative) build! I'm subscribed and looking forward to more updates. I also want to congratulate you on your resoursefulness---which I assume is mandatory when building American iron in Europe! By the way, the U.S. term for that body style is "fastback", which likely has to do with factory-sponsored oval track racing in the '60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut1959 View Post
      What a cool (and creative) build! I'm subscribed and looking forward to more updates. I also want to congratulate you on your resoursefulness---which I assume is mandatory when building American iron in Europe! By the way, the U.S. term for that body style is "fastback", which likely has to do with factory-sponsored oval track racing in the '60s.
      The 65-68 body styles are referred to as fastbacks but the correct term for 69-70 actually is Sportsroof.

Country Flag: England
      Nice to see another '69 Sportsroof in Europe! We're building one over here in England too...

I learn something new every day! Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut1959 View Post
      Thanks Peanut, I am on a budget on this build because I am restoring a 70 cuda 383 which is very pricely !! so a second build (that is more exciting and creative than a restoration) is a very very tight budget, but I am restoring US cars for 25 years now and I have some ideas of what to do and what to avoid. it took me 3 aborted projetcs to understand how I will build this one, and to accept that time is on my side as long as it stays as a passion !!

easy to reach goals and I am doing others things like sports while I am gathering cheap parts here and there. most of the parts are sourced here in France mainly from people selling parts they do not need and most of the time used parts !!

so my 2 goals for 2019 : have the stang on its 4 wheels this summer and finishing the sheetmetal work on the cuda by the end of the year
      69 mustang in the built

Quote Originally Posted by Badhand View Post
      Nice to see another '69 Sportsroof in Europe! We're building one over here in England too...
      your project is very inspiring, but I can not afford it !!
      69 mustang in the built

Following!
      '65 2+2
      347 - RetroTek EFI - 471 fwhp
      JBA shorty's, 2.5" tubes, Dr Gas X-pipe
      T-5 world class 5 speed, w/ .80 OD
      9" with 3.70's & T-loc
      4 wheel disc brakes
      17" Torq-Thrust D's, 225/45 & 245/45
      TCP/Global West suspension
      OpenTracker roller spring perches
      subframe connectors, Traction Masters, Panhard bar
      TCP manual rack & pinion
      power windows & power door locks w/ keyless entry

work on the 8.8 rear axle this last weekend

I put it back together and bolt tha c5 corvette wheels, this thing is wide

I lengthened the axle 2.7/8 inches to reach 62.5 inches, in fact it is missing 1/8 to get 62.5 but not an issue.

this way I can use the driver side / left side stock axle which is very cheap. I also use wheel pattern adapters in order to have 4.75 bolt pattern to fit the corvette wheels.

now I will work on my 4 link suspension and the stang will be on its 4 wheels very soon !!

last picts is the sanded welds where we lengthened the axle tube

Name:  IMG_20190618_191502.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  198.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_20190618_191449.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  234.4 KB
      Name:  IMG_20190618_191514.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  205.8 KB
      69 mustang in the built

axle is under the stang, ride height is set and will be adjustable with the coil overs, tires are 275 on 17*8.5 wheels, looks like it is missing some meat ...

Name:  IMG_20190622_174656.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  182.4 KB
      Name:  IMG_20190622_175046.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  110.4 KB
      Name:  IMG_20190622_174728.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  174.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_20190622_175013.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  134.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_20190622_174444.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  201.0 KB
      69 mustang in the built

well due to work commitments, I had to stop working on the stang but I am back at it !!

I had to hire a better welder than I am to complete the welding of the front framerails. It is done and we will work on more reinforcements between rails and firewall. I will put back the mustang engine bay inner panels in order to keep the mustang spirit.

regarding the rear suspension, well I wrote in june 19 that the car would be on its 4 wheels by the end of 2019 but it is not yet done even if I made lots of progress.

I had to change my mind : I planned on doing upper bars like most suppliers did by welding plates and brackets on the original rear rails, as I am someting like an overbuilder guy, I moved forward and design something closer to what chassis builders do.

I welded a crossmember to my chassis rails and welded the upper bar brackets on this crossmember. this way, I will use longer bars and have better angles.

I also used the original leaf spring front locations as it is factory reinforced and right next to the torque boxes. I ordered some heavy duty bushing and build better lower bars
      Attached Images Attached Images        
      69 mustang in the built

I am also working on setting a bmw 5 speed transmission to an LS 4.8 or 5.3 with a Polish adapter kit used on drift cars here in Europe; I bought 2 bmw 330D transmissions for $200, these transmissions are bulletproof and available everywhere in my area, they are so heavy duty that the breaker I bought them from had 8 ofthem and the last he sold was 4 years ago !!
      this only budget way to have modern 5 speed trans for under $1500 with kit and clutch kit
      69 mustang in the built

Quote Originally Posted by lilian View Post
      I am also working on setting a bmw 5 speed transmission to an LS 4.8 or 5.3 with a Polish adapter kit used on drift cars here in Europe; I bought 2 bmw 330D transmissions for $200, these transmissions are bulletproof and available everywhere in my area, they are so heavy duty that the breaker I bought them from had 8 ofthem and the last he sold was 4 years ago !!
      this only budget way to have modern 5 speed trans for under $1500 with kit and clutch kit
      On YouTube there is a guy named "Tavarish" and one of his projects involves a Mercedes Benz SL AMG he is manual trans swapping, and he got a trans from
      what I am guessing is the same guy. How long does it take to get? It seemed like Tavarish's trans took a long time to arrive, but that might be because of shipping.
      Cool project and glad to see you back at it.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      On YouTube there is a guy named "Tavarish" and one of his projects involves a Mercedes Benz SL AMG he is manual trans swapping, and he got a trans from
      what I am guessing is the same guy. How long does it take to get? It seemed like Tavarish's trans took a long time to arrive, but that might be because of shipping.
      Cool project and glad to see you back at it.

Jay
      thanks Jay

the kit is from PMC, a polish company which deals in the Drift world in order to ease swaping and mixing engines and transmissions, they have a wide offer and prices are good.
      the only issue would be in the end to swap the rear end gear ration to something very long like 2.2:1 to 2.5:1 as the bmw trans have short ratios
      69 mustang in the built

as we all have some time to spend in the shop, I worked on finishing the rear suspension and spot welded the upper axle brackets

tomorrow I will finish welding and put it back under the car;

then assembling the front subframe and we will see what it looks on its four wheels
      Name:  IMG_20200325_155510.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  217.6 KB
      69 mustang in the built

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com