Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Your thoughts on wheel spacers/adapters

If I want to buy some wheels with a different lug pattern, would I be ok to run some spacers/adapters while autocrossing? Would the stress be too much? for the spacers to handle?

Matt Kenner

68 C10 stepside

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Thats an awful strain in you lug nuts,Plus the offset maybe wrong with the adapters.

I"ve been running the same adapters (not spacers!) since 1998 when I put on my C4 Vette wheels. Haven't raced with them, but I haven't been gentle either. Never had one iota of trouble with them.

Again, these are not spacers. They bolt to the wheel hub like a wheel. They then present a separate set of lugs to the wheel itself. 6061-T6 aluminum... they're very strong and I seriously doubt you'd be able to break them.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

I heard an interesting concept once.... a brake rotor is basically a small wheel spacer!

A high quality bolt on spacer/adapter is nothing to worry about.

It's the excessively thick slip on spacers that cause problems. I have no testing data to back this up, but I personally would not feel comfortable with a slip on spacer more than 3/8" thick.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Look at motorsport-tech.com. They make hubcentric wheel adapters.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I should've included a bit more info. I would need a 1.25" spacer and adapting to a different lug pattern, so the bolt on style is the only option. That being said, you guys answered my question about them being ok as long as I buy quality adapters(which I would have anyway.)

I have ran 7/16" slide on spacers before with the extended shank lug nuts. They never gave me issues, but I checked torque on them every time I drove it just for added peace of mind.
      Matt Kenner

68 C10 stepside

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Quote Originally Posted by Slick68 View Post
      I should've included a bit more info. I would need a 1.25" spacer and adapting to a different lug pattern, so the bolt on style is the only option. That being said, you guys answered my question about them being ok as long as I buy quality adapters(which I would have anyway.) I have ran 7/16" slide on spacers before with the extended shank lug nuts. They never gave me issues, but I checked torque on them every time I drove it just for added peace of mind.
      I think we understood. The address to provided is a company the makes hub centric wheel adapter spacers. They will convert the lug pattern and they are a tight fit to your center hub on the axle or front wheel hub... Only company i would use.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I run a 1.5" adapter on my jeep and have for over 6 years. 40" tires and nitrous in a rock rig. Have not had any issues with these.

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      Look at motorsport-tech.com. They make hubcentric wheel adapters.
      Just checked their site out and went through a mock purchase; very nice interface and definitely who I'll use when I order my adapters
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

I ran 1.5" lug centric spacers with 140lb wheel assemblies [yes, 140lbs per wheel] on very demanding rock crawling situations for 75k miles. I have no worries running spacers..

Name:  581882_434942523251226_1946231669_n.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  197.7 KB
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com