Country Flag: United States

Frameless Rear View Mirror and mounting questions

Weird that there's only 12 threads on rear view mirrors in the Interior Forums. Let's add a 13th.

OK, I need a new Rear View Mirror for my '68 Camaro. The factory one is too bulky looking to me.

I am intrigued by some of these RVM's that appear to be frameless. The 5th gen Camaro had one that looks pretty cool, but I don't care for the OnStar button at the bottom. Do any of you know of a company that makes frameless/aftermarket mirrors? Also…how many ofyou are mounting your mirrors to the glass instead of the post on the headliner? I’m considering the 5th Gen mirror but am concerned about the angle of the windshield and whether the newer Camaro mirror would be compatible.
    1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
    - Start date; June '01
    - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Tony my most recent Camaro project (69 LS9, etc.) has a late model Camaro mirror. Not fifth-gen, but fourth gen. I glued it in place with ordinary RVM repair adhesive from the nearest parts store and it's lasted years without issue.

jp
    John Parsons

II Much Fabrication's Blog -- New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.

II Much Fabrication's Current Build -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I used a Rydeen mirror with a 4.3Ē screen for a backup camera. My original windshield didnít like it for too long, on a bump mirror fell off and took a chunk of glass with in, replacement glass has been fine though.

https://www.amazon.com/Rydeen-Mirror.../dp/B01MQF62CL

'15 Tahoe PPV
    '99 Tahoe 2DR -LSA
    '49 Buick -416 Twin-s369
    '72 Chevelle Convert -LSA
    '55 Chevy Wagon -LS1 TVS1900
    '69 Camaro -443LSX

I've got an early 2000's Silverado mirror in my Chevelle. Most GM vehicles from that era use a similar mirror. No OnStar, just two buttons for the thermometer and compass. The autodimming is great and the temperature reading will work once I motivate myself to dig into the wiring harness.

1970 Chevelle: 6.0 LQ4, T56, Strange 9 Inch, Ridetech Coilovers, Wilwood brakes

2004 Silverado 2500HD LLY/ZF6

Country Flag: Canada
    1969 Camaro rear view mirror. Looking to have compass, temperature and courtesy lights.

Country Flag: Swaziland
    Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
    Tony my most recent Camaro project (69 LS9, etc.) has a late model Camaro mirror. Not fifth-gen, but fourth gen. I glued it in place with ordinary RVM repair adhesive from the nearest parts store and it's lasted years without issue.

jp
    I have a 4th Gen mirror in my car. The map lights were a nice addition to the car.
    Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk, featuring the Red Dragon ... NastyZ28 ... NJ Camaros & Firebirds

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
    I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Steve
    '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes with Kore3 park brake kit. Soon to be EFI with Holley Terminator.
    Check it Out Here

I bought a Gentex mirror, they have multiple options. I am pretty sure they made most of the factory style ones. Works great, has garage door opener, temp, compass and auto dimming. The autodimming is the best feature! Glued the button on the windshield and no issues in 5 years.

Chris
    1968 Chevy Camaro SS
    LS3/T56 Ridetech suspension