Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Mini tub/pro-touring help for 93 foxbody...

Ive owned the car for about 9yrs and have done alot over the last few years but now im ready to go farther and need some insight. Im wanting to overhaul my foxbody mustang (93) suspension setup this winter. Im wanting to go for a pro touring look/handling. I want it to sit low and handle well. Its a street and show only setup. Ive gone back and forth between a 03-04 cobra irs swap and widening the fenders to a mini tub. I would love to run a 19x12 or 13 rear wheel with a 325-345 tire. The IRS widens track width 1.5" per side and doesnt allow a very wide wheel (9-10" max i believe on factory wheel tubs/fenders)

I have a few questions im hoping you guys can help me with. Since the coilovers will be moved inboard to allow clearance for the mini tub, how will the handling be? Is it fine to just do upgraded lowers and uppers and brace the rear axle? Or are you guys running an ARB, watts links/panhard bars and/or torque arm setups? The car isnt auto x or raced but i have large stretches of country roads so i do aggressively drive from time to time and open it up. And while i know a mini tub isnt the first choice setup for handling it will enable me to reach my asthetic goals as well as increased traction. I havent driven a mini tubbed car so not sure how they handle and my concern is spending the money to get it done and end up driving a brick.

Car is currently at 514rwhp and in the next couple years when i can afford to build the dart block i can up my boost (vortech) and set it at around 750-800rwhp.

Front suspension will include a maximum motorsports tubular k member, tubular control arms (fox length), coilovers...ill also be installing a 03-04 cobra steering rack and maximum motorsports fox length bumpsteer kit.

When I did my tub I did a sideways C notch and "frenched" the coil overs into the frame so I did not have to move them so far inboard. Personally I would stay away from the IRS. That IRS design is too much of a compromise to be worth the hassle. Since you are doing the MM front I would just do the entire kit with torque arm. You will get more improvement from the rear then from the front on these cars.

Did you shorten the housing or keep stock length? I like the idea of being able to use my current street setup as well as get a set of custom wheels but if i shorten it then its custom only. Only thing im unsure of is the use of the panhard bar with the mini tub?

I cut either .75" or 1" can't remember. This allowed the fit of the common 17 x 10.5 wheels that SN95 cars use.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com