Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

problem with HP EFI fuel PSI sensor.

After updating to V5, I took car for a drive, Put about 30/40 miles on it hooked to my lap top. We stopped for dinner and on way home the car started surging. Dying once coming up to a stop sign. Like a dummy I did not hook the laptop up on way home. When I hooked the laptop up the fuel PSI on the dash was going from 0 to minus 11 PSI. Going out, the warning lite for fuel Psi was not coming on. When I hooked it up to the laptop at home the warning light was flashing! When I called Holly, they say that there is no way to shut off that part of the computer even tho I do not have a fuel PSI sensor. [ guage at the regulator ] Fuel guage was reading just over 40 PSI. Holly says that not having the PSI sensor hooked up is not a problem even tho the HP data reads that a 554-102 sensor is installed! ARE THEY RIGHT? Or should I spend the $120 to buy a sensor? It was not a problem before with the V2, but I do not remember listing a fuel psi sensor when the HP was installed about 5000 miles ago.

Quote Originally Posted by chpr1972 View Post
      After updating to V5, I took car for a drive, Put about 30/40 miles on it hooked to my lap top. We stopped for dinner and on way home the car started surging. Dying once coming up to a stop sign. Like a dummy I did not hook the laptop up on way home. When I hooked the laptop up the fuel PSI on the dash was going from 0 to minus 11 PSI. Going out, the warning lite for fuel Psi was not coming on. When I hooked it up to the laptop at home the warning light was flashing! When I called Holly, they say that there is no way to shut off that part of the computer even tho I do not have a fuel PSI sensor. [ guage at the regulator ] Fuel guage was reading just over 40 PSI. Holly says that not having the PSI sensor hooked up is not a problem even tho the HP data reads that a 554-102 sensor is installed! ARE THEY RIGHT? Or should I spend the $120 to buy a sensor? It was not a problem before with the V2, but I do not remember listing a fuel psi sensor when the HP was installed about 5000 miles ago.
      Holley is absolutely right. The tuning does not take into account the fuel pressure. The fuel pressure is there for logging, tuning, etc...

I would double check the fuel pressure configuration in the Sensor ICF and make sure that it is still configured properly. Is there a reason you upgraded to the v5 software? Most people don't need the upgrade because unless you want to run the traction control, there are few improvements for the average user.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

When I was given a new computer, my son transfered every thing to the new computer. Every once in a while I hook up the computer to the HP. I transfered it over to the computer from the HPEFI. So in most cases with a program they need upgraded to new program. The lap top and HPEFI would not comunicate. I also was going to start adding more timing into it as it has never been done.

Quote Originally Posted by chpr1972 View Post
      When I was given a new computer, my son transfered every thing to the new computer. Every once in a while I hook up the computer to the HP. I transfered it over to the computer from the HPEFI. So in most cases with a program they need upgraded to new program. The lap top and HPEFI would not comunicate. I also was going to start adding more timing into it as it has never been done.
      The software version on your laptop needs to match the firmware version on the ECU, and if you have a 7" dash, its software must be the same version as well.

Having said all that, you didn't answer the question as to why you upgraded to v5.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Holley is absolutely right. The tuning does not take into account the fuel pressure. The fuel pressure is there for logging, tuning, etc...
      Andrew
      Understanding that it's not a big deal once the tune is done, but it's really surprising that Holley does not utilize the FPS data to adjust the injector DC. It can't be that hard to add.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Any fuel pressure fluctuations get accounted for in the tune by the wideband O2 sensor. As far as I know, most OEM EFI systems run open loop at WOT. The Holley will run closed loop at WOT.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

They may run open loop but can make adjustments based on fuel pressure sensor feedback. That's one of the attractions of the OEM FSCM/CAN systems. If the Holley system has the data it's not a large leap to do similar adjustments.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I upgraded to V5 because the laptop is constantly being updated! So why not the Holly program? Elementary, my dear Watson! I has not hooked the computer up for at least 6 months so I wanted to upload and keep the changes. Should I do that or not? As for the fuel PSI sensor, my guage was showing about 43 psi, when I put the sensor on, $120 worth of sensor, it was running 38 psi.

EFI software is not like your OS on the computer. You only want to upgrade if the new software has features that you want to implement.

Did you upgrade the ecu firmware as well?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Yes, I ended up sending it to Holly! After my son could not get it to read. Holly gave great service! I sent it to them and they got it thursday before the holiday. I got in back the friday after the holiday! They never even charged me for shipping! Holly said send it to me and and they will check it out!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com