Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Infiniti Q45 IRS

So in the ever evolving nature of my pro-touring ‘64 Riviera T-type I’ve finally settled down in California after 16yrs in the military (well I’ve been here 3yrs but besides the point) and I’ve made new friends and one of them is a former Infiniti mechanic that has a pair of Q45’s that he got to make one useable car out of. Since one car is going completely away afterwards, I started poking around and noticed it’s a 3.45: VLSD rear with a 60.6in track width compared to the 59in of the Riviera which are pretty tucked in from the fender lips as it is. Everything but the springs (stock was coil overs) is mounted to the subframe. Sounds promising.

Since it’s pretty much free to pick up and I don’t mind changing from 5x5in to 5x4.5in lug patterns as I intend to redo the front suspension as well, I’m pretty interested in doing this.

Getting rid of the two piece shaft with it’s carrier bearing is a big plus as is getting something IRS in the back. Overall goal of the car is something like a late W140 Coupe (if AMG got ahold of it) where luxury was still defined by quality of materials and ride vs. techno superiority.

Anyone have any experience with these or their smaller 300ZX, R32-34 Skyline, or 240SX setups? Anybody have a general comment on why changing to a modern rear axle in the existing triangulated 3-link would be a better idea?

Thanks and glad to be back.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

'64 Riviera T-type: 4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 OBDII SEFI swap

ROA# 9790

Country Flag: Canada
      Love to see it done ... my one question is what is its breaking point as far as hp levels
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I played around with various IRS arrangements when I had my RX7. As I recall, the Q45 parts are a popular upgrade for the 240 guys. I think it has something like a 8" ring gear. I am sure more info can be found on the interweb and axle upgrades are available from The DriveShaft Shop.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

My basic research also said the same thing, it was the upgrade for the higher power 240SX guys to get into. Despite having enough turbo for 575hp, with only 255 or so rear tires I doubt I’ll have the traction to seriously challenge the equipment even in anger.

I’m going to help him get the two cars merged here soon so at some point we’ll be able to drop the rear suspension out and take measurements. I’d weld gussetted plates to pickup the subframe mounts to the rear frame and build some form of exertion off of the existing spring pads to pick up the top of the coil overs. Probably going steel springs as it’s easier to independently adjust the parameters than air ride (sorry Bret)
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

ROA# 9790

Quote Originally Posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
      My basic research also said the same thing, it was the upgrade for the higher power 240SX guys to get into. Despite having enough turbo for 575hp, with only 255 or so rear tires I doubt I’ll have the traction to seriously challenge the equipment even in anger.

I’m going to help him get the two cars merged here soon so at some point we’ll be able to drop the rear suspension out and take measurements. I’d weld gussetted plates to pickup the subframe mounts to the rear frame and build some form of exertion off of the existing spring pads to pick up the top of the coil overs. Probably going steel springs as it’s easier to independently adjust the parameters than air ride (sorry Bret)
      Please keep us updated on this. I think with an automatic trans and not using any sort of drag tires, this rear end should hold up. An alternative would be to use the diff from a Ford Explorer. The mounting points are very similar (2 in the cover and 2 on either side of the pinion gear). The Explorer diff uses 8.8" parts internally and is very strong. Custom axles can be made to bridge the Ford inner CVs with the Nissan outer CVs.

Explorer diff:

Note: the early Explorer diff used a single mount in the front on the passenger side. They all used 31 spline inner stub shafts. The inner CV stubs are not compatible with the Cobra inner stub shafts, despite both being 31 splines, because the oil seals are different.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 09-11-2018 at 06:25 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I’m trading the labor of helping him clean out his shop for him helping me wire mine so this is slow going. We’re definately still planning this project.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

ROA# 9790

Not sure of your overall plans but if you are going to slam it just be aware that if you need to get the wheels off the suspension can only travel so far. And with the low wheel well openings it might be a battle. Ask me how I know! Lol

No slamming it, at this point I’m more likely to run on steel coils vs. air so the ride height will be fixed at something capable of negotiating most parking lot approaches and speed bumps. Since you sound like you have some experience with these setups. If I need to refresh things like bushings, any sources for replacements either individually or whole links?

Thanks
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

ROA# 9790

It's an old thread, but it's my thread...

I have stripped the Q45 rear end out of the car finally and stashed away for when I'm done with the interior (in the midst of rewiring and new front and rear seats) and it comes out of the garage so I can get the back end up and start making measurements and set datums for figuring out how to mount it. Cost so far is $100 for supplies to keep the car movable enough to get onto a tow truck without tearing up my driveway.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

ROA# 9790

Country Flag: Canada
      ive toyed with the idea of a late model camaro rear fir my chevelle so I'd love to see how this plays out
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

yeah....I just got my rear end settled and am happy, I'm going to slowly back away from this before you inspire me to start over.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com