Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: Modern Corvette exhaust on 69 Impala?

Voters
    10. You may not vote on this poll
    • C5 exhaust

2 20.00%
    • C7 exhaust

1 10.00%
    • OMG why would someone do that?

7 70.00%
      Country Flag: United States

Modern Corvette exhaust yes or no?

I'm thinking about doing something like this when I get to body work. I have several Corvette parts already and kind of liking the general theme.
      Probably not everyone's favorite but I'd like to get some feedback on the general aesthetic. I hadn't considered the C5 exhaust until today but kind of liking it better now that I see it on the car.
      Name:  impala_C5_exhaust.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  133.7 KBName:  impala_C7_exhaust.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  131.6 KB

I like the second picture that you posted much more than the first. But either way I think that 4 tips are too many, keep it to 2 exhaust tips. Check out these CTS V’s exhaust tips, and how they have a trim around the cut out area. Makes it look more intentional and designed into the car and not an afterthought. I think a lower profile design and rectangular look would look better than just several large round tips. And another idea would be to incorporate a lower air diffuser like on the Camaro picture and have the exhaust exit through there too.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

What about just extending the lower valence?

Part of what you try to pull off at the rear depends on the rest of the car. I think an actual air diffusor look would be way off unless the rest of the car was all high tech race look to pull it off. I have an in progress vehicle with c-7 rear parts combined with a little of the cts coupes tailpipe valence look, so I got a little practice on blending old & new, but it's all opinion. See my flicker link.

The first pic with c-5/6 pipe look , I say no.

The c-7 pipes with an extended valence similar to pic, getting better. Tucked up higher would look better. The vettes exhaust valence shape I'd say no. Gotta not look like you copied just a part of another specific vehicle.

I wouldn't necessarily say 4 pipes is too much,seen em look good on various vehicles. But you do have to be more careful with what you try to pull off with a classic year vehicle. Something of a custom made stainless outlet (s) could be a cool option. A large single rectangular center exit could be good. Definitely would give a more of a higher end custom look rather than a copied look.

Rectangular tips with rounded corners that blend in with your tail light shape could be another cool option. Getting slightly wilder, 3 in the center may work. A little less thought out & a lot wilder would be 3 on each side to blend with the 6 tail lights, but that's a maybe.

I say keep playing with a few thoughts into an extended valence & done right it could look really bad ass with the already custom look of your factory tail lights.

You will also need to take the fuel tank location and exhaust pipe routing into consideration. I’m not that familiar with your car, but most of the older Chevys had the tank centered in the rear just behind the bumper.

I prefer a more traditional exhaust that exits to the sides of the rear. I think the modern exhaust would look out of place on this particular body style. However, if done well, it may be impressive. I would lean towards the CTS-V type squared off tips rather than the round ones if it were my car.

Good luck coming up with something that suits your taste. Remember, we are not the owners or the builders of the car. Sometimes stepping out from the norm is the best thing you can do.

I have decided to go with 3" diameter side pipes for my car to reduce undercar heat and to make more clearance under the car.

I did find a cast Vette exhaust with 3 rounded rectangles but not a good rear-on view of it. Also think I scaled the 2nd picture too big. It does look like a lot on re-considering.

Also found these which might work if they'd make me a set with a 3 box grate: https://stainlessworks.net/boxxter-exhaust-tips
      Something like this would be around 2 inches of extended valence and not that difficult to fit in. I don't have time to contour out a fake hole today.
      Name:  impala rear view custom pipes 1.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  131.2 KB
      I should also mention I will never have a red car, just not my color.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Also found these which might work if they'd make me a set with a 3 box grate: https://stainlessworks.net/boxxter-exhaust-tips
      Something like this would be around 2 inches of extended valence and not that difficult to fit in. I don't have time to contour out a fake hole today.
      Name:  impala rear view custom pipes 1.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  131.2 KB
      I should also mention I will never have a red car, just not my color.
      Fits better with the car lines...

Take a look at the rounded rectangulars Pypes makes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pype...vOT2hjdqAHw9M:

Getting what you want may require custom fabwork. Divisions could be welded in to the SW tips & polished .

My opinion is that you should keep the stock valance and tuck the tips so they are not visible at all. All of the options shown above look pretty bad, to me.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

What you don't see in this picture is that with any rake at all towards the front, basically half the gas tank and rear axle are exposed. I actually just did finish re-working the exhaust just as you described. Here's a standard and extended valence or reference. I don't think it is that dramatic other than hiding the underside. I haven't seen a side view of this particular car but it is likely sitting level and moderately lowered.
      Name:  impala rear view 2a.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  261.4 KB

I understand what you're saying, but the extended valance looks bulky to me. Also, keep in mind that if the tank and rear axle are black, they really won't be that visible. Again, this is just my opinion, it's your car and labor.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

My .02 is that the standard valence is best and then cut the exhaust tips at an angle so you can see about 1/2" below the valence.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com