Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Toning down the exhaust

The drone, and general noise of my exhaust system is really tiresome. Post LS3 swap the loudness is really obnoxious. The plan is to install a pair of the longest resonators available (somewhere I saw 24-26" is ideal) in the middle of the system to cut the drone out, and place two dynomax super turbo mufflers at the back of exhaust, just before the tips to shut the car up.

Currently have Magnaflow straight through round performance

I want to really tone down the car. Thoughts?

What is your current exhaust system? Are you thinking of adding two resonators and two super turbo mufflers, in addition to what you already have?

Have you looked into "J" pipes to kill the drone?

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Check out the hooker maxflow mufflers. I swear by them and run them on just about everything i own.

Idle is a little bit of noise, enough to know it isnt a stock muffler. Cruise is absolutely drone free and have a conversation with passengers, normal acceleration is a great tone with little bit of noise heard in cab to make you wanna step into it harder.

Ive installed them on multiple ls swap vehicles ive done both in single exhaust systems and duals from header/manifolds back. Everyone has been happy with them just for the fact they are quite and drone free at cruise and loud when they want them to be.

Latest one i installed is on my wifes 08 5.3 burban that i did a DOD delete with a btr stage 1 camshaft. Removed factory muffler and reasonator behind muffler and replaced with 1 of the maxflow mufflers and enough pipe to run it back out the rear in factory location. No issues holding a conversation with the kids in the back seats while cruising around town or down highway. I can probably get a video this weekend if your interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
      What is your current exhaust system? Are you thinking of adding two resonators and two super turbo mufflers, in addition to what you already have?

Have you looked into "J" pipes to kill the drone?
      I haven't looked in to j pipes. I was looking to cut out the magnaflows, replace them with resonators and add the mufflers on the back.

Did you every find a solution. I just built a second gen with ls3 480 and the drone is really bad. Would love to quiet it down.

[QUOTE=MJB;1301844]Did you every find a solution. I just built a second gen with ls3 480 and the drone is really bad. Would love to quiet it down.[/QUO
      I picked up a set of used mustang corsa mufflers on ebay. On my ls3 swap I had borla and tried hooker maxflow and the drone was still really bad. The corsa sports can get loud but no longer give me a headache from the drone.

1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Country Flag: Canada
      Black Widow Venom 250's, no Drone

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com