Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Discussion topic: Best platform for CAM-T/ Goodguys autocross?

I was sitting around bench racing with some friends the other night, and we got to talking about what we would build with a clean sheet of paper to best compete in the SCCA CAM-T and Goodguys autocross events.

I was wondering what the combined think tank of the Pro-touring forums would build with a reasonable budget (say less than $20K total) to compete in those events?

Not trying to start any flame wars, just thought it would be an interesting topic.

I'm generally a GM centric and a little weird, so I would think mid to late 70's Vega or Monza with a new Camaro turbo 4/ 6 speed would be pretty cool.

James Greenwell
      1991 Z28 "TrakCar"
      LS2/ T56 430 hp/ 435 tq
      Never Done/ Money pit

1972 Buick Skylark "Benchwarmer"
      455 stage 1, 700r4

1989 Trans Am TTA #657
      3.8l V6 Turbo cruiser

Country Flag: United States
      i think the 80's musclecars are where it is at. just looking at the cam-t roster for nationals showed a ton of foxes. light, can fit big power motors and big tires easy, great aftermarket support for suspension.
      84 Ford LTD Wagon
      05 Ford Excursion
      Instagram

I agree on the mustang being a solid option. I might would suggest a 94/95 though for easier fitment of large tires if you don't want flares. Even 275's get tight on the front of fox bodies. I would think that a fox or sn95 mustang has to be the easiest car to make competitive simply because of the aftermarket support. Call up MM or Griggs and have a competitive car with no fab involved.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      I agree on the mustang being a solid option. I might would suggest a 94/95 though for easier fitment of large tires if you don't want flares. Even 275's get tight on the front of fox bodies. I would think that a fox or sn95 mustang has to be the easiest car to make competitive simply because of the aftermarket support. Call up MM or Griggs and have a competitive car with no fab involved.
      SN95 doesn't meet the year cutoff for goodguys.

Easiest to make fast on a budget without a lot of fab work is easily a 3rd gen Camaro or Fox Body Mustang.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com