Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Lakewood scattershield working with LQ9 LS swap / TKO600?

Wondering if the transmission experts or someone who has first hand experience can chime in with some general conversion info. I'm currently running a good SBC with Muncie and don't have things apart to check things hence why I'm posting for advice.

Still at the exploratory stages of figuring things out and collecting parts. I have an older Lakewood scattershield from my SBC setup that I'm hoping I can reuse for my LQ9/TKO600 swap, will it work?
      How about the starter opening in the Lakewood piece.......is it in the correct position with the starter bolted onto the block?
      Sorry for all the ????? last one, since the LS crank flange is .400" shorter than the SBC crank flange positioning, do I need a special pilot bushing to make up this difference, like this one. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mcl-8617/overview/

Of course all the bellhousing runout checks will be done upon install when I'm at that point.
      Any suggestions or insight is appreciated.
      Simon

Country Flag: United States
      Simon,
      That bellhousing should work out for you as long as it isn't sized only for the smaller 153T flywheels. You will more than likely need to use the pilot position at the end of the crank. Check out the pdf guide I have attached to show you how to measure for the proper pilot bearing/bushing.

Bowler T-56_LS_Pilot_Bearing_Guide.pdf
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Craig, thanks for your information, the bellhousing is for the 168T flywheel. Will save pilot guide file.

Flying off on a tangent but since I have you on here, on a TKO600 is it necessary or not to upgrade it with these components because how can a guy deny himself some spirited driving while putting the car through the paces. I realize the trans is rated for 600 ft/lbs T:

Bronze Shift Fork Pads
      Surface Enhancement Processed Hubs & Sliders
      Internal Shift Linkage Upgrade
      Threaded Front Cluster Bearing Support
      Carbon Fiber Blocking Rings—2nd, 3rd & 4th Gear

Engine will have approx. 500HP/ 475ft/lbs T.

Thanks again
      Simon

Simon,
      I don't think you can ever go wrong by adding in those upgrades as they will enhance the TKO's ability to shift smoother and at a higher RPM. Those upgrades don't have anything to do with the overall torque capacity which is found in the gear ratios and gear material. With where you will be on engine output I would say to go ahead and do the upgrades. If you were at 400hp or less I don't necessarily think there's much advantage in those upgrades vs. a stock TKO as you just aren't pushing enough power to overcome the blocker rings ability to engage the gears. I would also recommend using the shortest shift lever you can comfortably get by with and let the bias springs in the TKO shifter do their job.

Craig, thanks again for your valued input.

If you can work me out a price for the TKO600 with .64 5th, with those upgrades. In case you're wondering a competitor has those upgrades listed as optional. Also include your crossmember & speedo adapter, 1st gen F body
      You can PM me, if you'd rather have the masses not view your most excellent pricing. I also have corresponded with you via email back in Jan/18, so whichever works best for you.

Here's a free bump, you guys at Bowler have a really good promo happening right now! I'll take the 8" black offset, and the solid Gunmetal shifter ball, with free shipping in the U.S to boot.

Simon

Simon,
      I sent you an email with the updated quote. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com