Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

anyone have issues with the Turn One steering box?

I have a 67 firebird with full ridetech set up with tru turn and 275/35/18s up front. im really not a fan of the steering on my car. the steering wheel does not return back to center after turning without me helping it along. also its tough to keep the car tracking straight with one hand on the wheel. it just doesnt steer as nice as my old 68 camaro with the lee 670 box. i have checked the entire steering assy for binding and came up with nothing. alignment is also in spec.

thanks
      Jesse
      1969 Camaro under construction.
      1967 firebird. 6.0/t56. Ridetech stage 2. Moser 9 inch. Forgeline wheels.(SOLD)

Country Flag: United States
      What alignment specs?

What is connecting the box to the column?

What kind of column, steering wheel, and/or hub adapter do you have?

Did you change just the steering box or was it part of a larger install?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroJesse View Post
      I have a 67 firebird with full ridetech set up with tru turn and 275/35/18s up front. im really not a fan of the steering on my car. the steering wheel does not return back to center after turning without me helping it along. also its tough to keep the car tracking straight with one hand on the wheel. it just doesnt steer as nice as my old 68 camaro with the lee 670 box. i have checked the entire steering assy for binding and came up with nothing. alignment is also in spec.

thanks
      Jesse

Stuff to check...

1. Front end alignment. Start with .5 to 1.5 neg camber, 5-6 degrees positive caster, and 1/8" toe in. Do NOT use alignment specs for a 67 Firebird.
      2. Make sure there is no binding in any of the steering linkage or control arms. Remove the coilovers and run the suspension through its travel by hand. Control arms pivot bolts only need 30-40 ft lbs of torque. Ive seen people run them down with a 3/4" impact till the bushing bind up.
      3. You did grease the ball joints and tie rods, right? Double check. I chased a intermittently seized up ball joint on the Goodguys for 3 months a couple summers ago. Felt like it had 1/2" of toe out and a 12" panhard bar.

You'll find it. That car should drive like a Mercedes.
      Bret Voelkel
      Director of Innovation Fox Powered Vehicles Group
      Founder/ Former Owner
      RideTech/Air Ride Technologies, Inc.

How do you spell Impossible?

Does it have a Turn One 12.7:1 on it? And which pump? With what Bret recommended above and a Turn One gear, it should be primo.
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

I took the steering column out to make sure there is no bind there and that didn't work. Also checked the ball joints and they move freely. I suspect it's in the steering linkage. I loosened some of it up and re tightened but it's still pretty hard to turn the wheels left to right by hand with the wheels off. Feels very stiff. All parts are new with 1000 miles on them. Everything is greased.
      1969 Camaro under construction.
      1967 firebird. 6.0/t56. Ridetech stage 2. Moser 9 inch. Forgeline wheels.(SOLD)

Based on my experience I would check the tru-turn helms. They do not appear to do well in a dusty environment. Similar experience with the delrin bushings.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com