Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: All new to me

Country Flag: United States

All new to me

Hello all, I am very new not just to pro touring but cars in general. I have a 66 chevelle ss that I helped my dad build, however at that time I was not interested in cars so unfortunately I didn't retain much info (I know stupid mistake). But now I love it and I have been blessed in my life to have the ability to restore it the way he would have had money not been a factor. I just wanted to open up a discussion and get some feedback on best places to start, and recommendations on any and everything. Thank you on advance!

Welcome!

Perhaps you can start it off with giving more information about the current state of the car and what your goals are.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

If your funds are limited and your looking for FREE information then going on YouTube and look up the task your trying to complete. YouTube has always helped me a lot. Search a few different people's content and find one that explains it best for you.

Also Google is your friend but eats up a lot of time trying to find specific information to do a Job. Searching through forums helps but eats up time trying to find the actual information needed .

The other thing you can do is just take a few classes at a community college to get hands on. It's usually cheap. You can buy tools slowly for each job.

Lastly if it seems WAY over your head In your skill set or time you have , farm out the job. Find a QUALITY local shop. Get in writing the time frame for said repairs and total cost. Make sure they don't have a bunch of customer cars collecting dust in the corner.

We're also here to help in anyway we can so feel free to ask members here. Most of us have done the job or paid to have the job done. So we can give you estimated hours of labor and approximate cost to have the job done if you're farming out to work.

Ahmad
      Ahmad B.

Thank you both for the reply. The car is in great shape I have attached some picture of it. My ultimate goal is to have a car that drives, feels, and is reliable as a new car. Funds are not limited at all and I do expect to have some of the big stuff outsourced to a local shop. However I would like to do as much as I can for the experience and joy of it. I am very mechanically inclined, I own a machine shop, I am just new to the car side of mechanics.

Name:  IMG_8510.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  173.1 KBName:  IMG_8509.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  176.7 KBName:  IMG_8508.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  219.3 KBName:  IMG_8512.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  144.7 KB

Nice...those little blowers really make up small blocks...

I suggest basic suspension work. Maybe look at the ridetech street grip kit. Put some good brakes on it. Doesn't have to be crazy. Look at Kore3 or even the Baer SS4+ kit. Modern wheels and tires will also do wonders. I'd go with 18in wheels.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I suggest taking that God Awful blower off and send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. Just kidding. I'm impressed with the car like it is. Good luck with your endeavor and listen to what the members have to say to help. Andrew70 (above) is pretty good to listen to, even though he might have the big head after this post. Really he's pretty good about fixing things and detailed work. Just figure out what you want to do first and ask plenty of questions. Good luck!

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Thank you!

Congrats. Chevelles and A-bodies are THE BEST platforms to start with. No I don't have one and yes that is my opinion. They come with a 4 link installed at the factory and they have plenty of room for fat tires. ..and they are big inside, so you get to enjoy the car with family and friends. Best of all, almost every mod is a bolt-on process. Avoid the urge to build the next NASA space rocket. Instead work towards modernizing your car for safety and drivability. That includes braking, ride quality, seating, highway cruise rpm... stuff like that. Before spending money on a modification, ask yourself if the change will increase your seat time. If the answer is "no" or "I don't know", reconsider your options. Some of the best, easiest upgrades are (in no particular order):
      - Modern Tires
      - Disc Brakes
      - Supportive Seats
      - A blueprinted steering box and HD steering components
      - EFI
      - Upgraded suspension
      - Modern radiator and fan
      - Modern air conditioning
      - Sound deadening

You can upgrade your car in stages with your existing drivetrain, then go back and change the drivetrain if preferred. Resist the urge to completely disassemble your car unless you have the resources at hand to put it back together (time, skills, tools, money)

Have fun and be sure to research pro-touring.com. Be sure to look for consensus in message posts and cross-reference that information with what you see taking place at real events.
      Best of luck,
      Steve

You've got a good base to start with. Since the body is in good shape you don't really need to worry about it unless you want a color change.

As stated above, I would focus on suspension/chassis first as you will get the biggest improvements from that. A good suspension setup from ridetech, DSE, hotchkis, etc... will make the car feel modern. Getting the stock steering box rebuilt will improve road feel and make the steering have some weight to it.

The brake options from Kore3 are very reasonably priced and will work great. C6 Vette brakes front and rear are plenty strong for most people, don't feel like you have to spring for giant 6 piston calipers. Plus, if you ever needed to you can grab pads/rotors from a parts house.

An overdrive trans of some sort should be considered too, that will make driving it much more pleasant.

There's much more to be discussed, ask away and I'm sure plenty of people will step up to help you. Welcome!
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Blown cars are nice ,I have a 1979 Z-28 RS with a Weiand 142 mini blower myself. I would do a lot of research .HP books such as "how to make tour car handle" and Pro*Touring"if you wish to go that way.Check books at the library and the local book stores .As well. And if you have any Vintage Races" in your area is also a good source.Al well as this site and others.Good luck to you.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Thank you all so much, that is great advice and I have a good idea of where I need to start. I am sure I will have tons more questions, and I will keep everyone up to date on the progress.

Are you in Montgomery, AL? That's only 5 hrs south of LSFest -- which takes place this weekend. Go. Consider it a pilgrimage. You'll see cars and trucks perform at a very high level including drag racing, autocross and more. Sure the event celebrates an engine type, but all of those cars have brakes, tires, suspension, etc. One of the most important things when starting out is to balance what you learn on the internet and what you see with your own eyes. Many of the internet heroes are no-shows in the real world. Look for companies who are willing to give you ride-alongs and spend time with you face-to-face and talk with enthusiasts about their cars.
      Steve

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com