Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS Swap Question

I have a 69 SS Camaro with a SBC/700R4 with low miles that I just put a Sniper EFI and I’m happy with it but I’ve got the itch for an LS swap. I’d like to go with a 6.0 (LS2 or 3) but would settle with a 5.3, they’re getting pretty cheap on the used market and the market has plenty of them now.

My question is would I need to swap out the 700R4 for a 4L60 or could I stick with my 700R4? I do have a 6L65 out of a late 90s Tahoe but I’m sure I’d need to have that gone through.

Any thoughts?

Country Flag: United States
      You can stick with the 700r4. I believe it bolts right up minus 1 bolt and you need a crank spacer. Might make it alittle easier since its not computer driven but if youre going ls it all would be there anyway.

You will have to figure out the TV cable. It has to stroke a certain distance, usually defined by the arc of the carburetor throttle stroke. Fly by wire throttle bodies on newer LS motors could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn0331 View Post
      You can stick with the 700r4. I believe it bolts right up minus 1 bolt and you need a crank spacer. Might make it alittle easier since its not computer driven but if youre going ls it all would be there anyway.

Thanks for for the info, that’s a relief to hear. I plan to have that 4L60 gone through someday but for now I’d rather concentrate on getting the motor. Now, which LS?

Quote Originally Posted by elwaupo View Post
      Thanks for for the info, that’s a relief to hear. I plan to have that 4L60 gone through someday but for now I’d rather concentrate on getting the motor. Now, which LS?
      Honestly, I would sell the 700r and go with a 4L60e. Plenty of guys that have old engines want a 700r. Having a computer controlled transmission is great because you can program it to shift exactly how you want, under a variety of driving conditions.

As to which engine, there are many variables and a lot to consider. Since you want auto trans control, I would focus on a gen 3 engine and trans and use the 411 ECU. Budget will determine the ultimate engine choice.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by elwaupo View Post
      I would just go to a local junk yard and find a decent mileage truck 5.3. If you pull it yourself they normally will give it to you way cheaper. If you really get lucky you can find a newer aluminum block sitting out there that they don’t know about and score it for the same price. They all will do the job but if you had a choice try and find a 2006/ some 05 and up years because they have the floating rods that are stronger.

I would just go to a local junk yard and find a decent mileage truck 5.3. If you pull it yourself they normally will give it to you way cheaper. If you really get lucky you can find a newer aluminum block sitting out there that they don’t know about and score it for the same price. They all will do the job but if you had a choice try and find a 2006/ some 05 and up years because they have the floating rods that are stronger.
      That’s a good idea, we have several Pick and Pull wrecking yards out here that you do the work yourself for a discount and at the end of every quarter they have a 50% discount to clear the inventory.

2006 and up are the years to look for?

Any 5.3 or 4.8 will do, they all really strong but the 06 and up have the floating rods that add to strength and definitely makes it easier down the road if you throw new pistons in it.

Any 5.3 or 4.8 will do, they all really strong but the 06 and up have the floating rods that add to strength and definitely makes it easier down the road if you throw new pistons in it.
      Keep in mind that going with a gen 4 engine has implications for engine management. All gen 4 engines are DBW, personally I think that is a plus. However, there is no built in transmission control in gen 4 ECUs (e38, e40, e67, etc...) this requires a TCU.

An aftermarket ECU is a great option (like a Holley Dominator) because it can be configured for any number of different engine combinations without having to worry about the tune.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com