Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hello from France

Hello alls
      I'm Laurent from France, Toulouse exactly
      I love american cars since a long time, i buy my first corvette (a 76) at 23 years old and i put few hight perf parts on it (vbp suspension, 383 engine, steeroids rack and pignion ....)
      Today i have a very good camaro 350 SS 1967 in original condition and i haved buy another camaro 1967 (original 396 SS) and i wan't to make a little pro-touring project on it.
      I think to go with a ridetech complete coilover system (or air suspension ?), wilwood brakes, Unisteer rack and pignions ( or another ?)
      For the engine i haved find a 396 1967 block and i think put lots of power in it .
      in fact i have lots of question before start my project !!!!
      Thanks for all
      Laurent
      Name:  20180601_171319.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  185.1 KB

Welcome Laurent. You have some nice cars. If you insist on a rack and pinion steering system for your next project, I would suggest going to a new from subframe from Art Morrison, SpeedTech, or Detroit Speed, which have been engineered to work properly. Add on systems which may function may not give you the feel your looking for in a 50 year old car. It may seem that the cost is excessive for a front frame replacement, but in the long run, you will find the end costs similar but the results will be better.
      http://www.artmorrison.com/homepage2.php
      http://www.speedtechperformance.com
      https://www.detroitspeed.com

Thanks.
      I put on my first camaro a PSC steering box, it's mutch better than the original but i prefer the feeling of my corvette with rack and pignion...

You won't get Corvette feel from a added on Rack system, not even close. May be better than stock, but not much, and the ones I have seen start at $1000.

Country Flag: Hungary
      Hello Laurent
      You have nice cars over there.
      It seems like that black beauty does not need to spend a big pile of money to convert into a nice pro tourer.
      Depending on your budget the limit is the sky you know that very well I guess.
      First and most important advice:
      Make a good plan at the beginning that you keep seriously otherwise you will bury a lot of money into this car.

If you don't want to fabricate ( welding etc.) and want a simple bolt in stuff that you can change back to original when the time is coming to take your car to the periodic vehicle inspection ( I know this is a big headache and sucks all over in Europe with aftermarket parts that does not have the EU required documentations ) then I would suggest the ridetech streetGRIP or Hotchkis system.
      The ridetech 4 link and Speedtech torq arm systems need some kind of modification that you can not convert it back quickly unless you have a spare factory rear end with leaf springs. However their front coil over suspensions are very nice and easy to convert it back.
      I DO recommend the steering box. You don't need rack and pinion.
      You will have a new front suspension anyway so a nice quick ( 12.7 or 14.1) ratio steering box will do the job perfectly. It will be like a new high end sport car. Believe me it is better than the aftermarket rack and pinion and it is cheaper also.
      Save your money for a nice set of 2 or 3 pc's wheel. ( there are some nice quality wheels available here in Europe too if Forgline wheels are out of your budget)
      If you want only a nice pro tourer with a good look good stance and handling without serious autoX or road racing in mind those cheaper Ridetech and Hotchkis suspensions will do the job. Each of those system would give you a nice lowered look with way better handling. BUT!!! The wheels will make your final look.
      Just an example:
      Name:  1968-chevy-camaro.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  273.2 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Welcome!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

ayyyee!

I have some close friends from Toulouse!

Ive been there 2 times and LOVVVVE it..

And don't let anything fool you some of us Americans LOVE the french!

who?..

<=== This guy here.

Welcome!

Welcome aboard !

thanks for all your messages
      i think go with the ridetech 4 link and i search the good deal for my brakes (Baer or Wilwood)

Or C5/c6 brakes swap ?

yes Welcome! keep us posted with your pictures and what's going on with your build.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Is that your garage!? That is an awesome setup! With some beautiful cars?

yes it is my garage i'll send more pics this week if you want ;)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com