Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Big block chevy instantly shut off on me

Hi guys,
      Was coming home today from a car show, driving down the street, when the car shut off instantly and coasted to a stop. I tried to re-fire the car and it touched a couple times and then nothing so I got it flat decked home. It looks like I have no spark when I pull a spark plug lead at the distributor. The car is still on stock coil and points. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks for the input.

69 SS396 Camaro Coupe, 4link, 12bolt posi, Speedtech LCA and UCA's, Hotchkis 2" drop springs and sway bar, QA'1's, Bilsteins, Wilwood 6 piston front/4 piston rear, Magnaflow stainless exhaust, Lemons Headers, Comp rollers/p-rods/cam, Fikse 18x8.5 and 18x10

Broken Rotor / distributor cap? fuel pump?

Quote Originally Posted by oleyeller View Post
      Broken Rotor / distributor cap? fuel pump?
      Thanks for the ideas. I thought maybe fuel as well, but it is still the stock mechanical pump, and it didn't stutter like it was starving. It was like a switch shut off the motor instantly.
      69 SS396 Camaro Coupe, 4link, 12bolt posi, Speedtech LCA and UCA's, Hotchkis 2" drop springs and sway bar, QA'1's, Bilsteins, Wilwood 6 piston front/4 piston rear, Magnaflow stainless exhaust, Lemons Headers, Comp rollers/p-rods/cam, Fikse 18x8.5 and 18x10

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States
      Coil?

Running an HEI on my ZZ4, running along I94, the engine stopped. Coasted to a stop, had fuel pressure (injected motor), refused to start while turning over w/o issue. Rode home on a flatbed, called my brother, he had a similar failure that turned out to be coil. Dropped a new coil on and it fired instantly
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyover View Post
      Coil?

Running an HEI on my ZZ4, running along I94, the engine stopped. Coasted to a stop, had fuel pressure (injected motor), refused to start while turning over w/o issue. Rode home on a flatbed, called my brother, he had a similar failure that turned out to be coil. Dropped a new coil on and it fired instantly
      Thanks....that’s what I suspect as well. Will pull the cap tonight and make sure the rotor is still turning and there isn’t a distributor/cam/timing set issue. If all looks good, will grab a new coil for it. Should probably switch out to something like a Pertronix while it’s apart.

Country Flag: United States
      You may want of check the distributor drive gear also (pull the cap and bump the starter to see if the rotor moves).
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

So I pulled the coil, and I had upgraded it from stock several years ago to a Pertronix coil. I was told the 0.6 ohm Flamethrower 2 was the model to use with stock points. Apparently I should have been given a 1.5 ohm Flamethrower 1, and this may be the reason the coil failed.

Dropped in a new coil today, and the car fired first try. Problem solved!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com