Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Fuel tank sending unit

68 Camaro 454 / 4sp
      My gauge does not work and i'm assuming it's the sending unit.. maybe.. I was thinking of replacing the sender anyway and wondered if there is any recommendation as to which one to use. Also, I was thinking of going Fitech or similar fuel injection which I believe would require a return line. If i'm replacing the sender should I go ahead and get one that would work with the fuel injection? Anyone know which unit would work?

Country Flag: United States
      Depends on what tank you are running. Stock or aftermarket tank. Stock style tanks senders usually use a lock ring style retainer while some of the aftermarket ones are a 5 bolt style. I would consider troubleshooting your fuel sending system so you are not just throwing money at a problem. The camaro setup is almost identical to the Nova setup in this video. If you have any questions, I am sure there are a few of us that can help you troubleshoot your issue. https://youtu.be/_RKFzWvO7Bs
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

I put the FiTech system on my '68 Camaro. I changed out the fuel tank (Tanks Inc), you will need a high pressure fuel pump (capable of around 70 psi), and yes a return line. I called FiTech and asked their recommendations and went with that. I used a 3/8" delivery line and return line. I also used a Tanks Inc sending unit. The Tanks Inc tank has the holes needed to put the intank fuel pump and the sending unit. If you have any questions about this setup let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

The Holley sniper sends the return fuel line into the external pressure regulator so no mods to the tank fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      The Holley sniper sends the return fuel line into the external pressure regulator so no mods to the tank fwiw
      Your still going to have to use the higher pressure fuel pump for the EFI no matter which one you use. Although you can use a external or internal pump, I used the internal pump for various reasons, being, it will run cooler in the tank, quieter in the tank and out of the way in the tank. It's just a matter of what each individual wants on his/her build. If you decide to use the intank pump, and a tank like Tanks Inc tank the returns are already there. Just a little more convenient for me to do it this way.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Your still going to have to use the higher pressure fuel pump for the EFI no matter which one you use. Although you can use a external or internal pump, I used the internal pump for various reasons, being, it will run cooler in the tank, quieter in the tank and out of the way in the tank. It's just a matter of what each individual wants on his/her build. If you decide to use the intank pump, and a tank like Tanks Inc tank the returns are already there. Just a little more convenient for me to do it this way.
      Correct. But if the OP plans to use his current fuel tank, assuming it is stock, he would not need to modify it to add a return line. Meaning no welding on a used fuel tank.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com