Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Gear ratio help

Gear ratio help

I am putting my 69 Camaro back together, and have the opportunity to trade for what is believed to be a nicely built rear end tommorow afternoon.

The car has the Gulstrand mod, 17's, 68 Corvette rotors with C10 calipers, and a built reverse cooled LT1 383. It has AFR heads, Hydra rev kit, and a smog legal cam. I pulled it out of a wrecked Vette I got a sweetheart deal on. The paperwork from the builder said it made 465hp, and 475tq. Or at least the way I remember it, and the graph was on his wall for years. It is now gone. I am adding long tubes, and the carb intake. Which should add a bit to those numbers.

The trans is a T700r4 with a non lock up 2500rpm converter, but I may go 2300. Haven't decided yet.

My original plans was a 3.55 rear end, but the one I may trade for is a 4.11. The higher rpm won't bug me as it will be just a weekend car, and toy to go to various speed events. Rather drag racing or track time for fun.

So are 4.11's a bit steep with a torquey 383, and 3.55's should be better. Like when coming out of a hard corner, and you give it the gas.
      Sitzungstiefpunkt und fahrend langsam

Country Flag: United States
      If your 700R4 has the typical 3.06 first gear, 4.11's would likely be too high. First gear wouldn't be much use.

IMO, 3.55's would be a better choice with that high of a first gear.

If I recall correctly, you want to aim for a 10:1 final drive ratio in first gear. So assuming a 3.06 trans first gear, 4.11 is too low at 12.57:1. If you use 3.55 rear gears x 3.06 trans it is 10.8:1 which is pretty good.

Country Flag: United States
      With that combo, 3.55s or 3.73s at the most. Anymore and 1st will be useless.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Thanks guys I will stick my original plan.

Sitzungstiefpunkt und fahrend langsam

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com