Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Cardone Aluminum drums for the 10 and 12 bolt..

Anybody ever try a set of Cardone 9" Aluminum drums? I just saw them on Rock Auto..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...041613&jsn=583

Also and good metallic drum brake shoe recommendations?

I need more stopping power...

Thanks..

A guy I autocrossed with runs a '71 Camaro he's had since new. He runs Trans Am leaf springs and sway bars and runs similar times with guys that have $150k cars. He runs drum brakes in the rear and i did hear him recommend the aluminum drums

I use a lot of Cardone products. I've never had an issue. Aluminum dissipates heat better than iron. They used to be all the rage before discs became commonplace. For autocross, drums are not bad because you don't normally have enough time to overheat the brakes.

Thanks guys. I am going to get them. I recently switched to Porterfield R4-S pads and brake shoes and it was like transforming the braking system!

The trouble with drums is people forgot how to maintain and adjust them. I remove the self adjusters and adjust manually. Side to side bias is a snap with a standard differential. Jack the rear end up and run the car in drive at idle and watch what side is spinning and make the proper adjustments to get both wheels to spin and stop at the same time with slightly more on the drivers side for road crown... It makes a world of difference in how a rear drum brake car feels..

Quote Originally Posted by Pompador68 View Post
      A guy I autocrossed with runs a '71 Camaro he's had since new. He runs Trans Am leaf springs and sway bars and runs similar times with guys that have $150k cars. He runs drum brakes in the rear and i did hear him recommend the aluminum drums
      Gerald lum?
      72 chevelle.

I had a 64 Pontiac that came from the factory with big 11" 8 lug drums. I swapped the fronts for 12" discs and was shocked to find the car stopped faster with the drums..
      I was new at suspensions then and blamed the drum brakes for erratic side to side movement during braking, turns out it was toed out and the sway bar was too tight.. I always wondered what that car would of stopped like with all 8 lug drums and a adjustable proportion valve on the rears.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com