Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

EFI conversion classic Mustang

I'm considering converting my classic Mustang to electronic fuel injection. I have a 67 Fastback Mustang and I'm curious as to how many of you chose to do this conversion, what brand and model unit did you use, what did you decide for a fuel delivery system, what was the initial cost what was the end cost any particular problems you had and would you do it again?

I haven't converted a Mustang to EFI. But, I am finishing a 66 F100 over to a 5.0 EFI now. Using a Ron Francis wiring harness. It seems to be running great so far.

I was thinking about converting my Falcon over next. I would like to try FiTech. I would go with a Intank high pressure pump.

Good Luck

I agree with Jetfixr320. I would use FITech with my car if you were naturally aspirated. It is simple and easy to install.

I have a 68 Mustang that I converted to EFI but it has a lot more going on. Boost and Meth injection are just a couple things. I started out using an SCT chip with a factory computer then when I paid mounds of money for tuning and still wouldn't run right I switched it all to an Accel DFI system. That was great until they got purchased and the product line discontinued along with it support is now non-existent. I now can't load the software on any modern computer and am left with on of 2 guys that have the software loaded on old computers. I have been recently looking at the Haltech 950 for my car just so that I can tune it. The cost is much lower than a new Holley system but is fairly generic and would require tuning abilities by you or a tuner.

I used a tanks in in tank pump setup and really like it. It is much better than listening to an electric pump running along the frame rail.

Tanks Inc makes a drop in tank with an in-tank pump. I use it on my 67 Cougar and it has worked well. I would opt for the no pump option and get a DW 200 (or whatever size you need) pump. The DW pumps are very quiet.

I would go with the Holley Sniper system, but people have done well with other systems.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Ive installed 2 Sniper units and very impressed with how easy it was. I'm a firm believer of in tank fuel pumps. Have a 69 Mach 1 conversion coming in soon. Hopefully using the in tank system again.
      -Paul
      1969 Camaro "Reckn8"- LS7/C4 Front and Rear
      1965 Oldsmobile F/85 LS6 W/Maggie, 6-speed,Ride Tech, Baer brakes
      1978 Blazer 2 wheel drive with LS power
      1965 VW bug. All original
      1968 GMC short box
      1964 Buick Riviera

Sniper here, works great. Very adjustable. Definitely bite the bullet and go with a new EFI tank.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

I converted a 67 fairlane to efi on the cheap. Ended up fabbing my own fuel module using a dw200 pump. Also built a "bread tray" type baffle with trap doors that's welded inside the tank now. May be more work than you are looking to do, but it functions very well, and I get no fuel starvation even at extremely low fuel levels.

I also used 14 ga sheet metal to replace the section on the top of the tank that I cut out with a 1/8 in steel backing ring where the module mounts and the seal is excellent using nothing more than a ring of cork gasket cut to match.

The rest of the system was steel lines with an fittings and a small amount of earls vapor gaurd hose between the frame and engine. Think I kept it around $300 for the whole system.

Fuel stuff adds up quick if you dont put a bit of thought into it.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Everything I own has been converted, none the easy way. The new stand alone 4 barrel units are so slick, for most users, there's no other choice. 2 thoughts: the 1st is the only long term way is pump in tank. These pumps don't suck, they only push. Having the inlet in fuel is important. The fuel is also what cools the pump. No.2: Don't put in too large a pump. Alot of the aftermarket kits have pumps with huge capacity pumps. That means the pump will bypass fuel and aerate the fuel. It is possible to vapor lock a system with that. If you have 300 hp. , find the chart and get a pump that isn't way larger. One of my friends had a fitech that comes with a huge pump. He had around 300hp. The fuel command center vaporlocked. He moved the pump to the tank and that cured most of it. I used a Painless harness on my 347 and modified the factory harness on 2 4.6 conversions.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com