Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS3 Long Tube Headers in 68 Chevelle

Time to start considering headers. I'm looking at
      https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p.../70101319-RHKR

What seems to be the consensus. The link above is for 1 3/4" tubes to a 3" collector. Better off going with 1 7/8" tubes?? Thought I would ask first while I start my search.

Or is there a better option? Thanks for you help!!

Perry

Depends on your power level, how much power does your engine make? For anything under 500 the 1 3/4” would be plenty big. Once you are in the 500+ range then you’d want to consider 1 7/8”. That being said there are some guys who make big power while using 1 3/4” so who really knows

I used the Holley/Hooker Blackheart 1 7/8 ones in my LS3 480 1970 Nova. You can drive yourself crazy trying to decide between the 1 3/4 and 1 7/8. There’s lots of info on the web back and forth. Hard to find conclusive data.
      Ground clearance is good, not low at all. They were able to send me pics in their demo car they used for fitment. Try to get info on the motor mount/header/crossmember combo you are using before you buy, make sure everything fits. I had clearance issues with the first crossmember I tried.

Nova,

That's a good point. I've added HPI Custom frame reinforcement. I'm using an LS3-525. At the moment I have the stock Headers using the stock frame mounts and Energy Suspension engine mounts. Perhaps I'll send Holley and email with a couple pics. See below.

Perry
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      The headers you've provided the link to were designed as an integral part of the Hooker Blackheart 1968-72 A-body LS swap system. It is not known internally at Holley how well, or horribly, they will fit any other type/brand of mounting components. You will get more information about compatibility of the headers with your mounting components from another user that has used them with the same parts.

Speed engineering sells inexpensive headers. I recently ordered there 1 7/8. I won't be putting them on for awhile probably.
      http://www.youtube.com/user/cutlassrkt?feature=mhee
      69 cutlass - 5.3l L33, Jakes stage 3 4L80e, 275/40/17 proxes tq

Quote Originally Posted by 69cutlassrkt View Post
      Speed engineering sells inexpensive headers. I recently ordered there 1 7/8. I won't be putting them on for awhile probably.
      I'm running speed engineering headers also with an HPI frame bracing kit. I'm using Holley brackets as well. The headers are a little lower than I like, but I'm fine with it for the
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com