Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Only 3 bolts for AC compressor/bracket? Is it safe?

Hey guys, I'm working on an LS swap in my 96 Impala SS and a ran into a bit of an issue. I am looking to use a truck style Denso 10s17f ac compressor along with a factory truck bracket to mount my AC on the lower passenger side. A high mount isn't an option with the blower drive I'll be using.

anyway, I began notching the chassis and realized that I probably will only be able to keep 3 mounting points bracket to block and 3 mounting points compressor to bracket. The lower leg of the compressor would end up in the control arm pocket if it didn't go. The rear tab of the mounting bracket is into the motor mount.

I found this pic on the web to help illustrate since I'm not home to take pics right now
      http://cjnn.xtremefabricator.com/ima...ly6swap260.JPG

Mine is similar, I am able to keep the top two mounting points and the center mounting point but the lower rear most mounting point seen there below the mount has to be cut off. i was able to keep a little more meat on the top rear tab though (didn't have to notch into the bracket for the mount like that).

On the AC compressor itself, I can keep the front two mounting legs and the top rear mounting leg which goes through the top rear tab on the bracket and into the block. the lower rear leg has to be cut off (again, not my pic, just for reference). http://cjnn.xtremefabricator.com/ima...ly6swap261.JPG

I have heard second hand that a few guys have done this when using the mounts I have, but I posted pretty much everywhere on the web/facebook where B body LS swaps take place and haven't found anyone who can confirm first hand. Since the first hand info isn't out there, I'm pretty much relying on some seat-of-the-pants guesses on whether or not this will be an issue. I think I'm more worried about the compressor to the bracket than the bracket to the block since the bracket has a central mounting point still intact. The compressor, on the other hand, has no central mounting point and I'll be removing one of the four corners.

what do you guys think? The bracket uses a spring tensioner btw, not a stretch to fit belt, and the Ac is the only thing running on that loop.

Country Flag: United States
      Somebody also told me that some GM vehicles using that mounting bracket/compressor only utilized 3 of the 4 bolts from the factory...but again, everything I hear is hearsay and haven't found anything to verify it lol

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com