Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Gen 1 SBC oiling problem.

I apparently have a problem with my current SBC engine oiling system. Generally on track I'm watching the track not the gauges in the corners and do a quick scan of gauges on the straights. The problem is my oil pressure drops to near zero only in a right hand turn. I never noticed this situation until I was taking a passenger for a track ride this past weekend and she mentioned it. I subsequently took a few additional laps with my attention specifically on the gauges and sure enough every right turn the oil pressure drops off. So I clearly have a problem that needs to be corrected ASAP. My first thought is to replace the no-name oil pan with a Canton Racing road race pan but then I got to thinking this might be an opportunity to convert to a dry sump system. Problem is I know nothing about dry sump systems and I have never seen a gen 1 SBC specific dry sump. I have no idea who sells a quality dry sump system. Any recommendations on dry sump systems would be appreciated.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Steve,

If you decide to stick with a wet sump CV Products makes a great road race pan that is a very nice piece. I ran it for several years on a 406SBC with a hilarious number of track days with zero issues. The fitment to the chassis was excellent. No promises with your headers.

I had to build a custom dipstick as well. I can provide some photos if needed.

The reason to change to the CV pan was for the exact reasons you found. However, the main and rod bearings were damaged so repairs were needed. It would be best to inspect.
      Last edited by CarlC; 08-19-2018 at 10:03 PM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I had a similar issue with my 81 Camaro and it had a Moroso road race oil pan. Pressure would drop to 20-25 lbs, still not what I wanted to see. Pressure would come right back up as you straightened out the steering wheel. Only happened on right hand turns, more pronounced on longer sweepers.

Like Carl said, I would inspect the bearings to see if there is any damage.
      2018 Cruze LT Hatchback
      2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L
      1975 MGB Roadster
      2003 GSX750F Katana

Change to a better brand road race pan or install an Accusump accumulator, way cheaper than converting to dry sump.
      http://www.accusump.com/accusump_tec...paign=accusump

Canton makes a good dry sump pan if you go that way. A 3 stage weaver type pump with 1.2” sections is a pretty standard starting point. There are a few options if you want more info.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

I am using an Airaid Dry Sump System on my 427 SBC All Aluminum Dart Block in a C4 Corvette. I had a Road Race Pan on a SBC and still had low oil pressure problems in the turns. If you're spinning above 6,000 RPMs you be better off with a Dry Sump than a Road Race Pan.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Some of the no-name road race pans are circle track pans; no baffling for right hand turns... I had the same exact issue on my car a while back. I switched to a Canton RR pan and it worked very well, but as I got faster the pan couldnt keep up. An accusump probably would have solved it, but Im now doing an Aviaid drysump. Lots of pictures in the last page of my build thread (link in sig)
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      Some of the no-name road race pans are circle track pans; no baffling for right hand turns...
      Same thing I was thinking.

I do love my Canton Road Race oil pan.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      Steve,

If you decide to stick with a wet sump CV Products makes a great road race pan that is a very nice piece. I ran it for several years on a 406SBC with a hilarious number of track days with zero issues. The fitment to the chassis was excellent. No promises with your headers.

I had to build a custom dipstick as well. I can provide some photos if needed.

The reason to change to the CV pan was for the exact reasons you found. However, the main and rod bearings were damaged so repairs were needed. It would be best to inspect.
      Carl,do you have a part number for that pan?
      I'm looking for one for my chevelle with the sbc gen 1
      Thank you.
      Phil
      72 chevelle.

Steve, did you ever convert to a dry sump? I'm getting my 68 together now, and want to start with a dry sump, but wondering how it'll fit with the motor mounts, and subframe. Any pics would be great. Your camaro has been on my desktop forever since it's right where I want mine one day!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com