Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      I have an appointment with a local glass shop to install some of the ceramic stuff. Will post up on results.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Have it on my windshield. Love it.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Quote Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
      I have an appointment with a local glass shop to install some of the ceramic stuff. Will post up on results.
      Sounds good!
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Just had it installed. 75% on windshield and sides (basically the minimum tint), but I went for 50% on rear. Have to say I noticed the difference pretty much immediately. It's a clear day at about 90F right now, and you can definitely feel how much less IR heat is coming in through the windows.

What's also noticeable is that it takes a lot longer for the car to heat up on the inside when I park it in the sun.

IMO, the amount of tint is perfect for a classic car. You can tell it's tinted, but it's just right. So yeah, I'm happy.
      1971 Camaro

Clear Ceramic Tint - Anyone running it?

Just had it installed. 75% on windshield and sides (basically the minimum tint), but I went for 50% on rear. Have to say I noticed the difference pretty much immediately. It's a clear day at about 90F right now, and you can definitely feel how much less IR heat is coming in through the windows.

What's also noticeable is that it takes a lot longer for the car to heat up on the inside when I park it in the sun.

IMO, the amount of tint is perfect for a classic car. You can tell it's tinted, but it's just right. So yeah, I'm happy.

Nice! It is impressive stuff and really just makes going anywhere more enjoyable.

I put 150 miles on my car today in some pretty serious heat.

Name:  IMG_9333.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  IMG_9337.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  113.6 KB
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page

I had a 50% ceramic tint done before on a daily driver, and the difference was amazing. Before on long summer drives I could feel my left side getting cooked. Added to driver fatigue some too. I didn't expect much, since it was pretty minimal but wow, tremendous difference!

Prior to that, I had used darker standard tint, and it didn't no much in terms of reducing heat as it did light. All tinting I have done now use ceramic. To me, it's worth the cost difference. Keeps the interior cooler in the summer which is not only helpful for comfort but longevity of non-metallic interior components. Plus reduces driver fatigue no only from eye strain but localized heat exposure. Definitely not a gimmick.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I just had my silverado done with the ceramic 20 and the clear on the windshield. That mixed with the rear window and doors came out looking good. I am not a big fan of super dark tint. Had to go out of town on business so I haven't been able to give a report yet with the FL sun. If I like it I plan on doing all of the clear stuff on my camaro, those windows already have a smoked tint in them already.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Just a quick photo I snapped in a parking lot...

Name:  20190810_115715.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  203.8 KB
      1971 Camaro

Looks good!

I figured Id add some info here for those of you that are going to take your cars to get tinted, since I just did a '55 Chevy and took some photos long the way. Tinting a classic car is a bit different than the average newer car, so its a plus if the shop is familiar with classic cars.
      My biggest pet peeve is being able to see the edge of the film on windows. Especially stationary windows (ie: front/rear windshield) Its very difficult to tint gasketed windows cleanly and have the film edge be minimal or hidden. I recommended to the customer here to remove the rear window and tint it out of the car. This way the tint can be brought past the gasket edge and wont be seen. This method also greatly reduces the amount of dirt and dust that contaminates the film, and allows the glass to be inspected for chips along the edge that were previously hidden which can lead to cracks when a heat gun is used.

Name:  IMG_0158.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  218.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0160.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  207.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0161.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  201.3 KB

To cut the side windows, I happened to have tri-five chevy glass for another project we are working on, and I was able to cut my tint patterns on the raw glass. This allows me to get the tint as close to the edges as possible, but know that it wont hang over (on the vertical edges) The top edge varies so wildly from glass mfg to mfg that its not feasible to expect a perfect top edge from another piece of glass; even though its for the same car. The interior trim was also removed to make installing the film a bit easier, which makes the end result cleaner with less contamination.
      Film on the side windows installed, and the top edge filed to fit for a perfect edge:

Name:  IMG_0159.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  141.6 KB

This car was here for two days (although most of that was waiting for film to dry before re-assembly) but doing so ensured that the car would not have to be taken apart again for touch-ups or a re-do. All tint looks great right after its applied, but imperfections will show up hours later (especially on ceramic or thicker films). And on the topic of imperfections, take a very close look at your glass before you bring it to be tinted. Scratches and scuffs that are hardly visible on clear glass are FAR more obvious with a layer of tint underneath it. Sometimes it is worth it to replace the glass before spending the money to have it tinted.
      This car was done in SolarGard Nano-Ceramic 40%. We charged $950 to do all glass except the windshield on this car.
      Hopefully this will give some insight on how you can help your tint shop to give the best end result!

Name:  IMG_2604.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  392.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_2606.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  566.0 KB

-Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Had the car out today for about an hour driving around town... 97F outside. A/C was on low the whole time... before the tint, I'd easily have to have to set it to at least the medium speed to be comfortable, especially when the sun is on the driver side bearing down on me.

This stuff works amazingly well...
      1971 Camaro

Had the car out today for about an hour driving around town... 97F outside. A/C was on low the whole time... before the tint, I'd easily have to have to set it to at least the medium speed to be comfortable, especially when the sun is on the driver side bearing down on me.

This stuff works amazingly well...

Where are you at where it is still 97° outside?!

Southern California... its typical October weather... very hot and dry
      1971 Camaro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com