Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Clear Ceramic Tint - Anyone running it?

I'd like to get rid of my arm being scalding hot any time the Texas sun shines on it while in my 'Cuda. My new [tinted] cars don't feel the same way. At the same time, I don't want a dark tint for aesthetic reasons.

Has anyone used clear ceramic tint on their car? Apparently it cuts 99% of UV rays, 60% of solar energy and 80% of infrared heat into the vehicle, which is pretty substantial. In addition, blocking the UV is like putting sunscreen on your dash, seats, etc..nice!

I am curious if anyone has installed this on their car and what their thoughts were? Did you do the windshield as well?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices
      I had it put on the sunroof of the wife's Chalanger, we love it, no longer getting the Texas death oven cook when the sun shade is open.
      I would recommend it.

Just did it last week. Same tint shade as the factory tint but 100 times better blocking heat. Pictures don’t do it justice. I went to tritek in garland. 70% tint. Highly recommended. I’m in allen if you want to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/48502792/po...1619733897566/

It works......believe all the hype........amazing stuff!!

The windshield is usually the biggest piece of glass in the car... Definitely do it!
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      Just did it last week. Same tint shade as the factory tint but 100 times better blocking heat. Pictures don’t do it justice. I went to tritek in garland. 70% tint. Highly recommended. I’m in allen if you want to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/48502792/po...1619733897566/
      May I ask what it cost? Did you do the windshield? What car?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      May I ask what it cost? Did you do the windshield? What car?
      Link didn’t work? $450 without the windshield. 67 camaro

I did 40% 3M Crystalline all around except for the windshield and it made a big difference in keeping the heat out. Keep in mind that if you do any events like Good Guys or HRPT they may require you to place stickers on the inside of the windshield which may mess up the tint when you remove them.

Name:  35357183_1768445299901093_4195786828869009408_n.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  103.8 KB
      Steve - 1970 Roadrunner

Name:  55835914_262972321275218_6350653100449071104_n.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  100.2 KBName:  55932338_2391106904266687_9161698144730218496_n.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  150.5 KB

Finally pulled the trigger on it, all of the glass got 72% ceramic tint today, windshield included. Can't wait to get it out once the rain stays away and feel the improvement.

For what it's worth, I could not find anyone that offered a higher percent transmitted light ceramic tint. They were all around 70%.

Finally pulled the trigger on it, all of the glass got 72% ceramic tint today, windshield included. Can't wait to get it out once the rain stays away and feel the improvement.

For what it's worth, I could not find anyone that offered a higher percent transmitted light ceramic tint. They were all around 70%.

So just put all new glass in my 68 Camaro and been looking into some ceramic tint. It's been a minute since you got yours done and I wanted to get your thoughts? Worth it?

Everyone I've called in my area either claims it's a gimmick or swears by it. Only thing I've not found is someone that can do the clear tint. I'm not much on the dark tint on my Camaro (love it on my personal vehicles) but I'm primarily interested in the heat/UV benefit. Love to hear some more input on this...

- - - Updated - - -

So just put all new glass in my 68 Camaro and been looking into some ceramic tint. It's been a minute since you got yours done and I wanted to get your thoughts? Worth it?

Everyone I've called in my area either claims it's a gimmick or swears by it. Only thing I've not found is someone that can do the clear tint. I'm not much on the dark tint on my Camaro (love it on my personal vehicles) but I'm primarily interested in the heat/UV benefit. Love to hear some more input on this...
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Quote Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post

Thus far, I am a believer. It's only been in the low 80's in North Texas, but our hot 100°+ days are coming soon.

The tint I have is not "clear" but it is as clear as I could find at 72%. Only 28% of the visible light is blocked, my wife isn't able to tell a difference in the aesthetics of the glass. With that, I feel most everyone else don't really see it as a "tinted car", which was my intent.

As far as performance, I can definitely feel the reduction of heat on myself as I go down the road on a bright and sunny day. Before it wouldn't take long for my skin to warm up from the sunlight baking through the glass, so that has improved. The multiple times I have left the car out on a ~80° day with just the windows cracked I have gotten into the car and it's "warm" but not nearly as baking as it would be before. My non-ceramic tinted 2016 WRX daily driver is warmer during similar conditions.

Also, I've noticed the slight tint on the windshield has reduced glare during night driving, which has been a pleasant surprise.

That said, at some point I believe I'll look at converting our daily drivers over to ceramic tint, the Summers here are just too hot to ignore the tangible benefits I have experienced.

Thus far, I am a believer. It's only been in the low 80's in North Texas, but our hot 100°+ days are coming soon.

The tint I have is not "clear" but it is as clear as I could find at 72%. Only 28% of the visible light is blocked, my wife isn't able to tell a difference in the aesthetics of the glass. With that, I feel most everyone else don't really see it as a "tinted car", which was my intent.

As far as performance, I can definitely feel the reduction of heat on myself as I go down the road on a bright and sunny day. Before it wouldn't take long for my skin to warm up from the sunlight baking through the glass, so that has improved. The multiple times I have left the car out on a ~80° day with just the windows cracked I have gotten into the car and it's "warm" but not nearly as baking as it would be before. My non-ceramic tinted 2016 WRX daily driver is warmer during similar conditions.

Also, I've noticed the slight tint on the windshield has reduced glare during night driving, which has been a pleasant surprise.

That said, at some point I believe I'll look at converting our daily drivers over to ceramic tint, the Summers here are just too hot to ignore the tangible benefits I have experienced.

Thank you for the info, most appreciated! If you have any additional pics of the car in the sun outside (maybe a side shot) to get a better idea of the tint shade, that'd be great. I'd love to know what brand got used as I'm going for the same look you did. In my area no one seems to have heard of the ceramic tint when you ask and the few that have don't instill confidence. Therefore, since there doesn't seem to be a "resident expert" that can have an educated conversation about the tint, I feel it's even more important for me to get educated so I can be sure to get the outcome I want. Thanks again!
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Quote Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
      Thank you for the info, most appreciated! If you have any additional pics of the car in the sun outside (maybe a side shot) to get a better idea of the tint shade, that'd be great. I'd love to know what brand got used as I'm going for the same look you did. In my area no one seems to have heard of the ceramic tint when you ask and the few that have don't instill confidence. Therefore, since there doesn't seem to be a "resident expert" that can have an educated conversation about the tint, I feel it's even more important for me to get educated so I can be sure to get the outcome I want. Thanks again!

I'll have to work on getting some clearer photos, perhaps windows up/windows down on a tripod to help show the difference. It seems like it hasn't quit raining here in North Texas for two weeks now.

I didn't have any issues finding someone here that sold ceramic tint, the tinter did have to order it, however. He also left quite a bit of extra [free], i'll likely use it on my D100. SunTek, 3M, Madico, etc. all sell ceramic tint. I used a mobile tint guy that seemed reputable on Facebook and had a few local installs, he did a fine job.

I have the NC [NanoCeramic] 75 tint
      https://madico.com/automotive/window...l-nano-ceramic

Im a dealer for SolarGard and we do alot of their nano-ceramic 70%. Ive actually had people come back to tell me how well it worked. The last one I did was an 80's Porsche 911. The customer said his AC was struggling to keep up on really hot days... had everything (windshield included) done in 70%. To the average person, you couldnt tell the car was tinted. I ran into him later and asked how well it worked and he said he doesnt even have to put the AC to max anymore to keep it cool inside.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      Im a dealer for SolarGard and we do alot of their nano-ceramic 70%. Ive actually had people come back to tell me how well it worked. The last one I did was an 80's Porsche 911. The customer said his AC was struggling to keep up on really hot days... had everything (windshield included) done in 70%. To the average person, you couldnt tell the car was tinted. I ran into him later and asked how well it worked and he said he doesnt even have to put the AC to max anymore to keep it cool inside.

That's good to hear. It seems like i'll get a chance to drive it later this week and it should be around 90° later in the week.

I think one other benefit that seems to fly under the radar is the UV protection. A restored 'Cuda dash pad is around a thousand bucks, being able to provide it nearly 100% UV protection in the Texas summer is a pretty wise thing to do.

We use Air90 at our dealerships,
      I did it on my 1970 Datsun 240Z and it looks clear as advertised. Also did it on my GMC truck. Can't really speak to how it affects AC performance as Z car doesn't have any and the truck works great anyway.
      http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/llumara...8september.pdf
      Greg
      1970 challenger convert-in process
      1970 barracuda-driver

I've been following this thread... probably going to this before summer starts. Sounds promising. But probably very light on the actual tint.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Quote Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
      I've been following this thread... probably going to this before summer starts. Sounds promising. But probably very light on the actual tint.
      I wouldn't hesitate on doing it again, windshield included.

I looked into it at a local tint shop. The ceramic tint is $289 plus $125 for “clear” (has very slight tint) for the windshield. I think I will do it on my car and my Silverado after I get back from my next trip in about a month (installer was booked for the rest of this week).
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

What shop did you go to? I just bought a GTO and was thinking about doing this
      '72 Lemans
      468 Stroker; Aluminum KRE D-Ports ported by CVMS (10.2 comp); XR288HR Comp Cam; Port Matched Performer RPM; Quick Fuel Carb; Doug Long Tube Headers, 2.5 exhaust with H-pipe and Flowmasters; TH-400 w/11" 2800 stall; 9" Rear w/Eaton TruTrac Diff and 3.50 gears.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com