Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Bonspeed wheels

Country Flag: Canada

Bonspeed wheels

I finally finished my dealings with bonspeed wheels a couple months ago. It started a few years ago and i will keep it as short as possible. I ordered a set for my 69 camaro project and asked brad fanshaw if I could order the back ones first as i needed them to complete the rear end, and that i would not be able to measure for fronts for quite a while since i had not sheet metal up front to take measurements. He said no problem. After six months, no wheels. I start calling and after several weeks he admits to losing the order. Six more months pass until i finally have two back wheels. Couple years pass and i finally have front sheetmetal on, order the fronts and he says "no need to measure, i know the backspacing for 69 camaro front wheels, they are cookie cutter, all the same". I offer three different times to take "any and all measurements required". He says no need. My order forms clearly specify that I am using corvette c6 z06 brakes. We also discuss on the phone and Brad says that he knows these brakes and he will use the maximum thickness mounting pad on these wheels to clear these calipers, no problem. Wheels take several months to arrive, many excuses are given about hoop shortages in the industry yada, yada. Fronts show up and they do not clear the calipers, not even close, they need a 3/8 spacer just to clear the calipers. But thats not the only problem because even if they would have cleared, the backspacing that he chose was wrong. So much for his cookie cutter theory. He tells me to send them back at my expense and he will cut the centers out of the barrels and change the offset to accomodate a 3/8 wheel spacer. I also suggest adding additional backspacing on top of that, he tries to talk me out of it but i insist. Anyway, he changes the backspacing and tells me i have to pay for all of this work including repolishing. I ask him why i should pay for his mistakes since he clearly knew which brakes i have and was wrong about his wheel fitment. I also inform him that I have to have my car inspected for registration and that wheel spacers are illegal where i live. He says "sorry there is just nothing I can do". So I am in canada and shipping these wheels is $300 dollars in each direction. He refuses to pay any of the shipping. All said and done, his miscalculations cost me an additional $1300. But hey, on the plus side, the wheels are very nice.

12 months to get your rear wheels? WTF!

Country Flag: Canada
      Yes i know, the time frames were mind boggling....but i was even more frustrated by being made to pay for the mistakes that he alone had made. And how can there be nothing that he can do? He owns the company.

wow, i could never run a business like that. i would definitely want to make my customers happy.

Country Flag: United States
      Sounds like a cash flow problem....
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside