Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Help header clearance issue

[LEFT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Ok. I have a 69 Firebird. It has a Chevy 350 Block ( 408 Stroker). Builder that built motor said blocks he uses are 88 or newer. I have Hooker Super Competition ceramic coated full length headers( 2131-1). Clearance on headers by steering box is maybe 1/8 inch. Does have polyurethane motor mounts. So was told that this should be fine. Really? Shop doing my car said had to dimple header at pitman arm. But over on Idler side is hitting badly. I am going to try going with 69 Camaro steering linkage, they are different from Firebird. Wow cant believe these companies cant make headers to fit these basic minor chevy swap motor into firebird. ANYBODY out there who has 350 in their 69 Camaro have full length Hooker ( 2131-1) or even Hedman headers on their car? And if so what did you have to do. I was thinking of Rack and Pinion because actually 69 Firebird can only have rack and pinion with Steeroids, Unisteer, and others if they have Chevy motor. Which I do. Than what happens, I call them to see if will fit and than of course they say Headers will probably be issue. MY GOD, how many people go through the change of a chevy motor into their Firebird with stock headers? Really. Any how many people with 383 use stock headers in their Camaro, I don't understand these companies, there is surely no doubt in my mind that if someone is going with 383 they are not going with stock headers. If it is not one thing its another. PLEASE what to do. This is complete frame off custom car I am having built. I have ALL brand new parts. Awesome AGR quick ratio steering box. If need to get rack and pinion, I suppose I will, but which one? Thanks. Jerry. Also, and than you got Smith Racecraft who has bolt on front steer, oops, but wait a minute, you also have to cut your subframe up in to 36 pieces and than drill 47 holes. But it is bolt on. Really. I have done concrete for 26 years, cant imagine saying to a homeowner all these extra things that would need to be done, I believe they would look at me and say, WOW, forget it, we will go with just gravel or asphalt. I'm just saying.

I don't know anyone with a Chevy engine in a Firebird, but if you decide to remove all of the 69 Firebird steering components, I would be interested in buying them as spares.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I'm running 2130 Hooker headers (1 5/8" rather than the 1 3/4" of the 2131's) on my 67 Camaro with no fitment issues at all other than they hang a little lower than I like. I don't know if the tubes are routed different or not. This is with a 1996 LT1 fuel injected engine which I assume has the same exhaust port location as any traditional small block. I never ran them on the original engine (327) or the second one (350).
      67 Camaro, 96 LT1, 4L60E

Thanks

Thanks for the replies men.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com