Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: C4 suspension

C4 suspension

Hey all,

i have a line line on a cheap/free c4 corvette roller, would it be worth retrofitting the suspension into my 1966 nova?

I've been contemplating building a frame anyway so I could design it around the components, I know the c4 rear end is about 4" wider then my stock rear, would I need to shorten that or could I get enough BS and roll my 1/4 lips? The front is also about 4" wider but I'm thinking I could probably narrow the Cross member and get that closer than roll the fenders and some BS to offset that.

I'm sure others have done similar things hundreds of times but it would be a first for me so what should I be concerned about/looking out for?

TIA

Country Flag: United States
      The body width of a C4 and your Nova is almost the same (71" vs 70.8"), so you shouldn't have to narrow the front and rear, just need to use wheels with Corvette back spacing. Rolling the 1/4 wheel openings may be enough, won't know until you get it all together I would think. Just my $.02 worth.
      2018 Cruze LT Hatchback
      2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L
      1975 MGB Roadster
      2003 GSX750F Katana

I hadnt considered checking the body width just the track width, I'd prefer not to narrow the front or rear since GM spent a lot more time on RD then I will... things to consider.

If if I get a chance I'll pull some measurements off the donor c4

Street rod garage has some nice clip parts. (Never oredered from them)

http://www.streetrodgarage.com/c4vettesuspension.aspx

C5 would be better in my opinion. there are kits to adapt that setup as well.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Body International View Post
      C5 would be better in my opinion. there are kits to adapt that setup as well.
      I agree. Dobbertin Performance has adaptors:

http://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I agree. Dobbertin Performance has adaptors:

http://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance

Don
      That’s exactly what I was going to do with my ‘79 T/A. Just bought a townhouse with a small 1 car garage so now I’m selling my C5 rear suspension and putting stock style suspension due to the lack of garage work space.

That’s exactly what I was going to do with my ‘79 T/A. Just bought a townhouse with a small 1 car garage so now I’m selling my C5 rear suspension and putting stock style suspension due to the lack of garage work space.
      I’m using the front and rear adapters on my 56 Cameo pickup. I’m well into the mock up stage, no issues so far. Sending the torque tube out to be lengthened tomorrow.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I had looked at Street Rod Garage before when I first started thinking about doing a full frame, had planned C5 front suspension with a 3 link or 4 link rear.

What are the biggest advantages of the C5 over the C4? This would be a 90% street car with a mild LS swap and 6 speed, already building these.

What caught my attention on the C4 is that it may be totally free, being a new business owner with my wife staying home with our 2 kids money is super tight for the forseable future so the opportunity to get 2/3 of the parts I need free has appeal! But since I know nothing about corvettes I'm not sure if "free" is worth it here? Should I wait and piece together the components from a C5?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 662door View Post
      I had looked at Street Rod Garage before when I first started thinking about doing a full frame, had planned C5 front suspension with a 3 link or 4 link rear.

What are the biggest advantages of the C5 over the C4? This would be a 90% street car with a mild LS swap and 6 speed, already building these.

What caught my attention on the C4 is that it may be totally free, being a new business owner with my wife staying home with our 2 kids money is super tight for the forseable future so the opportunity to get 2/3 of the parts I need free has appeal! But since I know nothing about corvettes I'm not sure if "free" is worth it here? Should I wait and piece together the components from a C5?

Thanks!
      In the terms that you put yourself in, I would just leave your stock style suspension in the car and rebuild with some quality parts as you can afford them. A good set of bushings, shocks and ball joints will go a long way for you. I just looked your car up on summit. I’m surprised to see Suspension parts are rather limited from the typical Pro-Touring suppliers. I would personally look into getting some Global West Del A Lum bushings and leaf springs when you can afford that. ridetech has some some shocks as well. Look around though. There’s stuff out there to make your stock setup perform well. Good size wheel with nice tires are your biggest bang for the buck in terms of traction.

In the terms that you put yourself in, I would just leave your stock style suspension in the car and rebuild with some quality parts as you can afford them. A good set of bushings, shocks and ball joints will go a long way for you. I just looked your car up on summit. I’m surprised to see Suspension parts are rather limited from the typical Pro-Touring suppliers. I would personally look into getting some Global West Del A Lum bushings and leaf springs when you can afford that. ridetech has some some shocks as well. Look around though. There’s stuff out there to make your stock setup perform well. Good size wheel with nice tires are your biggest bang for the buck in terms of traction.

I probably should have mentioned it but the car is a shell, no interior or suspension whatsoever. All the rear frame mounts for shocks and leafs have been removed already and the front sub frame has been removed and disposed of 10+ years ago.

Does that C4 have a manual trans? If so, it most likely has the more desirable Dana 44 rear. Just speaking only for myself, I've owned five C4's (three ZR-1's) and prefer their driveline configuration.
      What year is the C4?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com