Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Springs for 1970 Pontiac Lemans Convertible

Last week I picked up a 1970 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible. Good car that came to TN 25 years ago from Californication therefore very solid. The car has been parked for the last 20+ years by the previous owner.

Amazingly the previous owner just prior to parking the car installed all new stock bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends ect however they left the original front and rear springs in the car with the required spring spacers to prop up the worn out original front springs. The car has 79K miles on it.

As part of my work to get the car on the road as a driver I want to replace the original springs with a matched set of new springs front and rear. The car will retain the complete original suspension with the exception of the installation of a 1 1/4 inch front sway bar and a 1 inch rear bar I had laying around. The wheels and tires will remain the original 14x6 inch Rally II's with WHITEWALL 215/75-14 tires.

The car sits just right with the worn out springs therefore I would expect a set of 1 inch drop progressive rate springs would be a good replacement for the stock springs which leads to my question:

Given the fact that the car will retain the original suspension parts and geometry what brand and part number set of matched front and rear springs (Progressive or otherwise) with a 1 inch drop to maintain the current look of the car would you recommend for the above referenced 1970 Pontiac Lemans CONVERTIBLE and Why?
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Country Flag: United States
      I had good luck with UMI springs on a 71 Cutlass convertible which is a similar car. I tried ridetech springs on the same car and for some reason the rear sat several inches too high (springs were considerably longer).

Pics are here:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=Cutlass

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Our GTO Vert rides on our Springs

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/