Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

67 Chevelle Budget Suspension Guidance

Hello All. First thread, so go easy on me. My dad and I have purchased a 67 Chevelle to put together as a father / son project. The idea is to build something that is street driven and see light/moderate track use. Looking to get a set of springs and shocks up under it that are worth the time, but not break the bank. What I'm torn between...

1) The QA1 Pro coilover single adjustables for the front and a traditional coil / spring setup in rear. (thinking UMI or BMR w/ Bilsteins)

or

2) UMI / BMR springs all the way around and Bilstein HD's or similar.

There's a difference of about $180 from 1 to 2. We want to lower the car about 2" and like the idea of being able to set the ride height in front with the QA1's. Unfortunately, coilovers for the back are not in the budget as of yet (I've got two other projects going as well).

Let me know what you guys things. Am I on the right track?

Country Flag: United States
      Unless you already own the QA1's, why not ViKing's up front and UMI springs rear?
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Why Vikings over QA1? I’ve also run into Aldan in my searches as well. Those two can be had in single adjustable for ~$480. Is Viking comparable?

Also, does everyone prefer UMI over others here?

Quote Originally Posted by S.Strehler View Post
      Why Vikings over QA1? I’ve also run into Aldan in my searches as well. Those two can be had in single adjustable for ~$480. Is Viking comparable?

Also, does everyone prefer UMI over others here?
      I'm not speaking for everyone and I'm not saying UMI over BMR for any reason other than its what I have had experience with. Both have support here on the forum, meaning actual employees help with tech. I have ridden in the UMI Lemans and it was a treat.

Now Viking over QA1: 1. not sure what QA1 has done recently, but there are threads all over the net about them leaking. 2. The DBl adjustable Viking is $498 from UMI or other places I'm sure. 3. Some of the founders of Viking are former QA1 people wanting to do fill a void in the market for a quality double adjustable shock
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Vikings vs QA1, easy answer, Viking. Great People, Great Product, the Cost for a Double Adjustable (all they make) is about the same cost as a QA1 Single. No Warranty Issues.

Hello All. First thread, so go easy on me. My dad and I have purchased a 67 Chevelle to put together as a father / son project. The idea is to build something that is street driven and see light/moderate track use. Looking to get a set of springs and shocks up under it that are worth the time, but not break the bank. What I'm torn between...

1) The QA1 Pro coilover single adjustables for the front and a traditional coil / spring setup in rear. (thinking UMI or BMR w/ Bilsteins)

or

2) UMI / BMR springs all the way around and Bilstein HD's or similar.

There's a difference of about $180 from 1 to 2. We want to lower the car about 2" and like the idea of being able to set the ride height in front with the QA1's. Unfortunately, coilovers for the back are not in the budget as of yet (I've got two other projects going as well).

Let me know what you guys things. Am I on the right track?
      We have a great deal of experience with optimizing the GM A body in several different directions. I certainly understand the concepts of drivability, ride quality and budget. My preferences in order:

1. StreetGrip suspension package. Why not coilovers or air? Money. Bang for the buck, the StreetGrip package is the king. The stance is lowered, the ride quality and handling are dramatically improved, and the cost is quite reasonable. Dual rate coilsprings offer a cushy spring rate for driving and ramp up to track appropriate rates for optimized cornering. The Delrin suspension bushings eliminate unpredictable control arm flex and offer little resistance to rotational suspension motion. The adjustable smoothbody monotube shocks allow the best ride quality in the market and can be turned up for exceptional track handling. The taller upper ball joints correct the GM designed positive camber gain that makes these cars push terribly when crowded. The larger swaybars help control the body roll to keep more of the tire on the track more of the time. All of this is in one integrated package so you do not have to wonder about compatibility. https://www.ridetech.com/products/st...etgrip-system/

2. If you cannot turn loose of $2200 all at once, get the adjustable shocks and taller upper ball joints. For $840, the ride quality and handling are much improved [but not as much as the entire package], but you don't get the lowering. Also, you can upgrade to the rest of the StreetGrip package at any time.

3. Well, I don't really have a third choice. The shocks are the brains of your suspension...the single biggest influence on ride quality and handling. Buy the best you can possibly afford. I consider the Ridetech Q series as good as it gets, and they have a 1,000,001 warranty.

Where are you from? I could likely arrange to find a StreetGrip equipped Chevelle for you to take a ride in.

Here is a link to a StreetGrip before and after video on a 68 Chevelle: https://www.ridetech.com/products/st...etgrip-system/
      Video is about halfway down the page.
      Bret Voelkel
      Director of Innovation Fox Powered Vehicles Group
      Founder/ Former Owner
      RideTech/Air Ride Technologies, Inc.

How do you spell Impossible?

Wow. Thanks all for your replies. I feel like UMR/Bilstein is a good place to start. Probably where we will settle for now. Thank's for the comments on the QA1's as well. Was very close to pulling the trigger on them.

Wow. Thanks all for your replies. I feel like UMR/Bilstein is a good place to start. Probably where we will settle for now. Thank's for the comments on the QA1's as well. Was very close to pulling the trigger on them.
      The RIDERTECH shocks are not much more money then the shocks you mentioned.
      Plus you get GREAT customer service.
      As an example,I had an issue
      And got a call on a sat. To straighten the issue out,what company does that?? ridetech does!
      72 chevelle.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com