Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Leaf/link questions

I originally posted this in my build thread in trucks.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-Frankenstein
      A little background, the truck currently has Belltech multi leaf 3" deop springs in the back along with 1" blocks (needs another half to put the rear where I want it) and a set of KYB Monomax shocks . Looking to make some improvements, much like I did to the front last year

Looking for input on my rear suspension, I'm going to list my options would like feedback. All options will use the Ford Exploder 8.8 that I have for the truck.

#1 use the Belltech leaf springs that are on the truck now and replace the KYB Monomax shocks with ridetech HQ's, this will be the least expensive/easiest. Locks me into this setup, forcing a change of shocks if I decide I want more from the truck latter.

#2 would use a set of ridetech coilovers w/out the springs in place of the HQ's. More work with having to build mounts, but gives me the option to go with a 3 or 4 link if I chose to upgrade without buying another pair of shocks.

#3 (the current plan, There is a lot of work planned for the next phase as it is without the extra work involved in the rear suspension)...
      3 or 4 link with Ridetech coilovers...

I have to keep reminding myself that the truck is a daily driver that will see limited track use... Am I overthinking things? I know there are a lot of cars out there doing well on leaf springs...

Joe

I would go the #1 route myself. Save your money. You can do plenty with an adjustable shock and good set of tires on leaf springs.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Body International View Post
      I would go the #1 route myself. Save your money. You can do plenty with an adjustable shock and good set of tires on leaf springs.
      Thanks for your input, (I'm surprised nobody else has commented.) option #1 is definatly the best bang for the buck, and frees up money. (for a better steering box, currently running a Jeep grand cherokee box, too light of a feel.)

Joe

I'd also go with the leafs. My Camaro (though 100% street driven and just average bolt-on upgrades) does extremely well even with the factory 5 leaf Z28 springs (and they're ~25 years old and developing a slight sag at that). I bought some PTFB 1LE springs just recently that I'm going to swap in (they're a little stiffer), so my guess the car will do even better after that.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

FWIW: If it's anything like the S-10 parts, the Beltech leafs have a thin main leaf that makes it easier to get axle wrap. A de-arched ZQ8 leaf may be a better solution for spring wrap, and allow you to use less block.

One of the best things about changing from leaf springs to link-type suspension is the improvement in ride quality. Since leaf springs serve dual roles (locating the axle and springing the axle) ride quality is always a compromise. Link style suspension isolates those two functions. With that said, we always suggest that you build a well-rounded hot rod rather than have one system on your vehicle that stands out above the rest. So if you can upgrade your shocks AND improve your steering, that's probably the best way to go for now. When you are ready for coilovers, our shocks seem to be fairly easy to sell since they carry a 1,000,001 mile warranty.
      Steve

For most applications I would stick with the leaf springs. They are a compromise, but can provide excellent performance.

That said, I am converting my Nova to a 3-link. That decision came after three days of open road racing earlier this month. It is for a very specific purpose, high speed (over 100 mph) open road racing where things can get scary real fast. If I were limiting my more spirited driving to autocross and an occasional track day, I would be sticking with leaf springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Motoracer838 View Post
      I originally posted this in my build thread in trucks.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-Frankenstein

I have to keep reminding myself that the truck is a daily driver that will see limited track use... Am I overthinking things? I know there are a lot of cars out there doing well on leaf springs...

Joe
      Personally, I think you are over thinking things. For a daily driver that sees limited track use I'd stick with leaf springs and quality shocks. aka option 1. If you love the fab work and have money to burn and get lasting satisfaction from building a rear 3 or 4 link then go for it.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Country Flag: Canada
      If you are confident you will change suspension down the road option #2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com