Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Germany

Hello from across the pond

Hi everyone

I'm coming to you all the way from Germany (you know, that tiny place across the Atlantic from America).
      I found this place by just googling, since what I'm planning/looking for doesn't exist around here.
      See, in Germany restoring a classic car means restoring it to "as it left the factory" 99% of the time.
      Modifying a classic car is VERY unusual, and things like Resto-Mods or Pro-Touring Builds simply don't exist.
      However, I'm planning to do a Restomod on a 1960's Ford Mustang (not very unique, I know).
      I'm here looking for contact to the community, a lot of inspiration (since I got none of that locally) and if I need it some help.
      And I hope I can maybe give some good advice here and there too.
      I honestly do envy car-guys in North-America for the freedom they got in modifying, but I think I might still manage to put together a neat package even within Germany's strict limits/regulations.

Long story short, I don't have space/financial means to start wrenching yet, so I'm using the waiting-time to learn so I know what I want when the project becomes reality.
      I like having a (relatively) clear plan before starting the project "physically", and I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so...that time won't be wasted.

Max

P.S.:
      Any other Europeans/Germans here?

Country Flag: United States
      Hello Max and welcome!

We have several members from Europe. I do believe there is also a member from Germany that is doing a truck.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...wable-the-D170

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 08-03-2018 at 02:41 PM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: United States
      Welcome Max!

Talk to others who have modified their cars, and read the rules very carefully and I bet you can make that Mustang into a very capable ride.

My daily driver was made over in that "small country on the other side of the Atlantic." Come to think of it, so was my Great, Great Grandfather!

Name:  DSC_0003.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  273.6 KB
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Country Flag: Germany
      Quote Originally Posted by ProTouring442 View Post
      Welcome Max!

Talk to others who have modified their cars, and read the rules very carefully and I bet you can make that Mustang into a very capable ride.
      Already on that, even though the project is still (over) a year out.
      Talking to others is not really a big help, since modifying classic cars is more likely to get you lynched than appreciated.
      But I've already established a contact to the TÜV (the company responsible for approving modifications and mandatory inspections every two years, look it up and be glad you don't have to deal with it).
      The problem is that most of them have no idea about old (imported) cars and the TÜV is also a for-profit company, so that doesn't help things.
      For example, I had to explain to the "vintage car expert" I was referred to that the old Mustang has a solid rear axle, and what the difference between that and an independent system is (as an engineer, he should know that).
      If the company making an IRS-kit would get certain (very expensive) paperwork made I could just bolt the stuff up and be fine, but (since the German market is tiny) they don't.
      Same thing with, say, LED rear lights.
      The TÜV-guy agreed with me that they'd be an improvement, but since an "illumination certificate" doesn't exist it'd cost me over 10.000 Euros to get A CHANCE.
      Same with headlights (even one approved as motorbike headlights would need separate approval for a car).
      And a brand that the TÜV-engineer never heard of can be as good and safe as it wants to be, he has to trust/believe in it.
      Because generally all approvals are down to the engineer, so even if one guy says "yes" and Iinstall a part the guy doing the inspection can still say "no"

Going on way too long, and starting to sound whiny.
      Fact is I'll work out a concept, collect information on what modification means what (has which reasons) and try my luck.
      And I got to "trick" them a little (engine swap for power (up to about 450-500hp, there's a legal limit too)? No no no, it's because of emissions! ).

Until I get all of that sorted out I'll "hang around here and see what I can put together.
      Because if I manage to get a "project approval" (meaning I get a go-ahead on certain modifications as a package-deal) I can't change all that much and still get approval.

Max

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com