Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Most affordable custom forged wheels with high hat clearance for big calipers?

Hello all,

We are on a super tight budget at this point, as our professional big-name built Oldsmobile 455 engine had some major issues that had to be resolved before we even started it.... Long, expensive and sad story, but just another challenge like many items on this build have been.

I am working with my retired, disabled-Vet Dad to get this 1967 Cutlass done as fast as possible so we can get out and enjoy it together and with my son as well, before my Dad loses too much of his memory and brain function (he has frontal- lobe dementia that has been progressively getting worse and will turn into full-blown alzheimers eventually at an unknown date). This will be his last car we get to do.

We have the nice Brembo CTS-V brakes with the 6 piston/4 piston calipers, ZL1 Camaro rotors (barely used, like new), the LSX concepts adapter brackets, the Wilwood hubs and 1/2 studs to go with them, and the Flynbye 12 bolt rear Brembo caliper adapter brackets

I have acquired some new Nitto 18 inch 555G2 tires and some new 20 inch Nitto 555R drag radial rear tires that I would like to fit onto the car.

So, I would like to find anyone who could make some custom 18 inch/20 inch wheels with enough I.D. clearance to clear the 6 piston fronts and they must have high hat spacing to clear the caliper bodies from the hub-out. Finding a thin I.D. 18 inch wheel has been very difficult to find, aside from the Weld RTS-S71's (which we like, but we can't afford). The rear end has been narrowed slightly and will likely require a 20x10 wheel with only 3.5-4 inch of backspacing, which has been very hard to find.

Does anyone have any suggestions or brand recommendations? We really cannot afford to spend $2700 on a set of wheels...... If that is the lowest price we can find, I will be listing all of the big Brembo stuff for sale and we will have to go back towards a stock setup, which will really not fit our goals with the car, but such is life.

I would rather put the car together with something than have it continually sit on jackstands because we are always out of money with another unexpected cost or setback.

Country Flag: United States
      My best advice would be to enjoy your dad while he's still doing well and forget the car.

When my mom was diagnosed with cancer she kept telling me to "go spend time getting your car done". She wanted to hear it start up and drive. I decided not do my car and instead spend the time with my mom enjoying her company while she was here with me.

She was diagnosed with cancer and given 3 to 6 months to live and 2 weeks after her diagnoses she passed away. That was this January 15 2018, I'll never forget that day. I miss my mother everyday but I'm glad I spent all that time with her on her last days with us....

Point of the story, enjoy your dad. The car will be there. Wheels to clear your brake set up are going to run close to $6k in 18" -20" if that's what you really want not including tires. Custom is never cheap, So start saving.

If your trying to enjoy it with your dad now,switch the brake set up to something smaller and practical, get affordable wheels now and "upgrade" later.

I wish you and your family/ dad the best.
      Ahmad B.

So sorry about your Mom, and so glad you did what you said and spent more time with her while you could.

This has been a 15 year long project, and always on a tight budget....

We have already been contemplating doing what you suggested, it just sucks when we are so close...

Custom forged and affordable do not go together. My advice would be to find a set of TSWs or maybe the Rocket Racing rotary forged wheels.
      Project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ouring-Project
      IG - @tc_chevelle

Another option would be to go with wheels intended for late model Corvettes or Camaros (lots of positive offset) with wheel spacers. These will give you plenty of brake clearance, they are cheap, they are plentiful on the new or used market, and you can alter how much they "stick out" with relatively cheap wheel spacers.

That said, I agree with the other posts. If you must finish the car, do what it takes to get the car together quickly and prioritize time with your dad. Whatever wheels and brakes you choose will have little to no impact on how much you'll enjoy cruising in the car.
      - Ryan

Forgestar makes wheels that will clear those brakes. I'm going to buy a set in either a 19/19 or 19/20 combo. Cost will be less than $2K. A set of 18x9 & 19x11's was $1500. Not everyone has a Forgeline budget.
      http://www.forgestar.com/wheels/collection/ I'm considering the CF5's and F14's.

Family is always #1.

We have some custom Weld wheels that are for a C5 Vette that are Not too wide, it just would take 4 inches of spacers in the back to work with our narrowed rear end housing.... which is too much... I was hoping to use 2 inch spacers, but because of our super narrow rearend, we need 20x10’s with 3.5 inches of backspacing!

Quote Originally Posted by battenheaded67cutlass View Post
      We need 20x10’s with 3.5 inches of backspacing!
      Get ready to break out the checkbook.

So, I am listing all of the Brembo brake parts and pieces in a classified ad.

Thanks everyone for their input and advice.

Check out Rushforth wheels in the for sale section. Brand new pair for sale.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com