Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Did I just kill my 200-4R

So here's the deal. I'm finishing up my build. I've got a 1969 Pontiac tempest with 400ci Pontiac engine and rebuilt 200-4. I installed the tranny in my garage, Line pressures looked good. Took it to the local transmission shop and they said everything looks good. Now I've got approximately 50 miles on the transmission and it's starting to make a gridnding noise in revers and Low, doesn't seem to be making noise as much in 2-3. Also noticed some trans fluid splatter on the underside of the floorboards near the output shaft. A few questions:

1. I've read that although this is a mostly " direct swap" between the th350 and 200-4 some people have run into driveshaft length issues. My car is lowered 2" could that be part of the problem? I'd guess if it was tool long and I hit a good bump it might jam the yoke into the tail shaft.
      2. What's the best way to check driveshaft length to make sure it's correct.

Any thoughts/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'd really like to get this fixed and not have it happen again.

You want at least 3/4" of "stick out" on your slip yoke. meaning that as the suspension compresses you have that much length to allow the slip yoke to travel into the tailhousing. You need to check that distance with all the weight on the wheels to be accurate.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Thanks for the info Craig, I'll take a look at that when i get home. Has anyone else on the forum that's run a 200-4r have problems with the initial set up. I know they're a little picky with the TV cable but everything looked good when I first installed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      You want at least 3/4" of "stick out" on your slip yoke. meaning that as the suspension compresses you have that much length to allow the slip yoke to travel into the tailhousing. You need to check that distance with all the weight on the wheels to be accurate.

Fun update. The previous rebuilder incorrectly assembled the low/rear sprag scattering a whole bunch of small metallic parts all over the inside of the transmission. Long story short its in for a full rebuild.

I hope you had that converter cut n cleaned and flushed the cooler and lines real well.
      Texas is the only state that could become its own country.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
      I hope you had that converter cut n cleaned and flushed the cooler and lines real well.
      Yup had the whole shebang done. The new Trans has a warranty too so if they didn't do something correctly I'm good.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com