Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks for the great info everyone! I never realized that a Blazer and pick up were so different, sounds like some extra work to get the Blazer to the ride height some of the kids run their S10s at. My son is building an S10 as well, "QuickSand" which we're putting in an IMCA spec 355 SBC and dropping it on 275-35-18s all around, and he wants it as low as possible without going to bags. His is in line first so I'll have a great opportunity to compare the two builds.

I was hoping to get the fender openings maybe 1" above the tires but it's looking like some mods are in order to achieve that. Joseph showed how he did his, I'd like to see more pics of ideas for how to graft in the S10 front clip?

I'm going to look a little more into the body drop and will post info if I go that way.

Are you guys all running V8s? Can I see engine bay pics?
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Mine was a 2nd gen but I ran drop spindles and 2" springs and it rode like dog *****. The crossmember and frame drug on everything, it looked cool but smashed the ground every chance it got. My truck on the other hand was a 5/7 drop and rode like a Cadillac.

The 4 door 2nd gens have the largest sway bars offered and likely still have factory Bilstiens
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

When you say 2" springs was that the front or rear? or both?

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Both of mine are stilling running the stock TBI V6 engine for there year.

On the Jimmy 4.3L I took the Valve Covers/Air Filter Housing/The Snorkel Tube and the small metal pipe on drivers side and had all of them along with the mirrors & rear wing painted body color right after I bought. Surprisingly the paint has help up really well over the last 24 years. I have about 100,000 mile son this & the engine is getting tired & I plan on a 5.3L all Aluminum LS series for it eventually.

On the Blazer 2.8L the only thing I ever did to it engine wise was install a bigger throttle body & Edlebrock tubular exhaust system. The Y Pipe is junk in the kit - its on the 3rd one in which I made the last 2 for spare parts - it should have been SS

Quote Originally Posted by SRD art View Post
      When you say 2" springs was that the front or rear? or both?
      2" coil springs

I ran the whole pulled leaf and blocks scenario in the back.

This is how it was when I sold it and it rode really nicely, not sure on performance but the ride was 100x better. 2" Belltech spindles, 1.25" ZQ8 coil springs, stock leaf pack and 4" blocks.

89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Z06Killin- That's a good looking truck, thanks for your input!

Fubar- That's cool that the original engines lasted so long. It takes some self control to not want to swap them earlier on. Mine came with a locked up 2.8, had a rod knock and then something broke and it won't turn for anything. I have a fresh 406 SBC Chevy that's been in storage for over 10 years just waiting for something to go in so the Blazer gets it. It's a mild torque monster, I had a similar 406 build in my G-body wagon that got 18 mpg on the highway with a 2.41 final gear, so it should get decent mileage and have plenty of grunt.

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

The original 2.8L blazer motor last until 220k - it was still running when I pulled it - but the ex-wife had run it low on oil when I was out of town for 6 weeks (had 1 quart in it when I got home) and she also had gotten a hole in the radiator at one point & didn't tell me until it ran so bad it would hardly pull it's self out of its own way - milled the heads(they were cracked to) put them back on & drove another 20k before I pulled it. So as long as I keep it below 4000 RPM it had no issue until the gas mileage went to 15mpg - is when I decided it was time for a new engine. Next year was tranny & Rear end & then 2 years later it started to rust out.

most people will think i'm nuts but I like the 2.8L better than the 4.3l - but GM should have made it a 3.1L or 3.4L from the start.

Oh and both of mine are 5 speed manuals. When the Blazer was new @ about 65-70mph I could get close to 28MPG on flat level interstate driving - most of time I got 24mpg. The 4.3l I was lucky to get 20mpg & now that the speed limit is higher I get 18mpg whether I'm run the A/C or not and pulling the Motorcycle trailer with 3 dirt bikes on it or not. But it will cruise all day long at 90mph if u let it.

Funny thing about the 4.3, guys are getting better gas mileage out of their LS swaps.
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Good info. It's crazy to see so many old S10s still plugging around. There's something to that.

You guys (or anyone) know much about the NV3500 swap? I had planned to use a Camaro T-5 I have but then power goals started to get out of hand and I'm doubtful the T-5 will handle the torque level of this motor. I'm taking a little bit of a chance with a 3500 but I don't plan to drive it too crazy, or not too often anyway. ;) Some may say T56 it but that kind of $ for parts goes only into my wagons.

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Isn't 1st gear in the fullsize NV3500 like a "granny" low? Somewhere around 4:1?
      That's how I remember mine from my fullsize truck.... more like a 3 speed with an O/D. 1st was somewhat pointless and I rarely used it.
      Held up to a lot of shenanigans on the street for a long time though. Granted that was a mostly stock TBI 350 and nowhere near the torque you're going to throw at it.
      Google tells me the S/T truck 3500 has a 3.49 first. Better, but still a BIG drop to 2nd.

So the 1st gear in my 93 Jimmy 5 speed is 4.02:1 & 2nd gear is 2:32:1 & I have a 3.42:1 rear axle ratio - so I can idle off in 2nd gear pulling my Motorcycle trailer with 2 street bikes on it on flat surface. The OD ratio is something like .83:1 so yeah mileage is not that great.

What I should have done in 2003 had I know they changed it was gotten the 5 speed from a 2003 blazer as 1st is 3.49:1 & 2nd is 2.16:1 & the OD is 0.78:1 - would have been a whole lot better of a transmission.

Have you made any progress?
      Steven
      67 Pontiac GTO
      70 Chevy C10 SWB
      70 Chevy 2wd Blazer
      84 Chevy S10 Blazer

Thanks for checking in Steven. I got the old 2.8 driveline pulled out and then had to shuffle projects around a bit and have been working on my 77 Suburban. The Suburban is taking up the garage space so I'm driveway-ing it with the Blazer. With the cold weather here now it's on the back burner until late February when it starts to warm up here. In the mean time I'll continue with the Burby in the garage. My son built a V8 S10 so just to make the Blazer useful instead of sitting dead in the driveway, for the time being I stole his running 2.8 and will be dropping it in, and I'll be doing the suspension and wheel and tire swap at the same time. I know it'll be gutless but getting decent MPG putting around town for a while is a little appealing since everything else we own is V8 thristy. When the Burby's done I'll put the V8 together for the Blazer and blow it all apart again to paint the frame and make it pretty and all.

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Quote Originally Posted by SRD art View Post
      Did you do anything to correct the bump steer or did you just live with it? !
      Quote Originally Posted by FubarSnafu69 View Post
      Ben - I just lived with the bump steer..
      I know this is an old threaded, but the LSOH no bump steer kit is a great addition to the lowered S – series https://www.littleshopmfg.com/s10-no-toe-kit/
      ...life is too short, live for today, tomorrow isn't guaranteed

Thanks for the tip. My son has a pretty slammed V8 S10 as well and it definitely needs some bump steer help. Mine won't be quite as low but still may need something like that. Here's a link to a pic of his truck. Clicky clicky

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com